Is there something wrong with my external SSD?

toolazytosearchitmyself

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I bought a Samsung T7 Shield external SSD. It came out the box formatted to exFAT but I got some copy errors while using it. When I tried copying certain folders it would say "error, no such file or directory". I then formatted it to NTFS and so far there have not been any copy errors but the copy speed has dropped from ~165MB/s to ~65MB/s.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Write speed can vary depending on the files being copied aswell. If you are copying a large amount of small files the speed displayed usually drops since the files copy rather fast from the buffer and the computed speed that is displayed can't really catch up to display the actual speed. Also depends too if you are copying from another ssd or mechanical drive since copying can only go as fast as the source can be read. It may start off high and drop once everything catches up.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a Samsung T7 Shield external SSD. It came out the box formatted to exFAT but I got some copy errors while using it. When I tried copying certain folders it would say "error, no such file or directory". I then formatted it to NTFS and so far there have not been any copy errors but the copy speed has dropped from ~165MB/s to ~65MB/s.

Speed vary depending on what you are copying, also depends on if you are using an usb 3.0 port or not. The error of no such file or directory might be caused by bad connection either the external drive or where the files is being copied from.

toolazytosearchitmyself

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I bought it from Amazon. The seller is Amazon UK. I copied a 200GB folder containing mainly Switch games split into 4GB files and a few smaller files like saves. Both times I used the same computer, USB cable and USB port. I used USB-C. I haven't run any tests on it yet.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That error can happen if you are trying to copy files/folders with a too long path name. Normally, Windows prevents you from creating files/folders with a too long path name, so if you try to copy/move files/folders from the root of a drive into a subfolder, it will give an error if the path would become too long. But 3rd party (non-Microsoft) programs and other platforms might allow you to create files with a too long path name, then when you try to access them at all in Explorer, they'll give the error you described.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol