Homebrew Is there homebrew to swap the top and bottom screens on new 3ds?

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so my 3ds' top screen is broken and i have looked everywere for something to swap the screens ouside of ds mode im starting to thinks it impossable

image of my 3ds V
View attachment 396997
You need to replace the screen. Its kind of impossible, best to look at an iFixIt guide.

MSearles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay what about hiding it

Click on your profile photo at the top right, then privacy, then choose to hide your year of birth.

Attachments

• gba.png
    gba.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 19

floofy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to replace the screen. Its kind of impossible, best to look at an iFixIt guide.
Alright so I think once I can save up enough money I look in to either having some one fix it or try to fix it my self
Post automatically merged:

Click on your profile photo at the top right, then privacy, then choose to hide your year of birth.
I tried but it won't let me save it

Nvm saved it

Well any ways thank you all for the help

Last edited by floofy,
Reactions: SylverReZ

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anything going to the upper part on a DS is a nightmare to replace.
There are three ribbon cables going to the upper screen assembly on 3DS (LCD, loudspeaker/3D, camera) through the hinge.

Although the LCD as such isn't very expensive, I would not recommend trying it on a device you care for the first time attempting it.
You should have some experience swapping parts on flimsy electronic connectors and steady hands (and a lot of patience). That said, 3DS are definitely worth repairing.

Good luck!

Reactions: emcintosh

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Like I said, I might be able to help! Is it an o3DS XL or a New 3DS XL?
that looks like a new 3ds XL, (IR/face sensor next to the camera, circular notification LED, exact shade of red as my n3ds XL)

i hear replacing anything on the upper half of new 3ds models are an utter nightmare to do and a lot of repair places just outright avoid doing it

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that looks like a new 3ds XL, (IR/face sensor next to the camera, circular notification LED, exact shade of red as my n3ds XL)

i hear replacing anything on the upper half of new 3ds models are an utter nightmare to do and a lot of repair places just outright avoid doing it
Yeah, I've done it exactly once before for a client when I worked for a local repair shop. It's a MASSIVE pain in the ass, but I would do it for the right price. Unfortunately OP said they don't have any money to get it fixed. If you do save up, OP, feel free to DM me

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
View attachment 397109
Weird. Trying to view that attachment makes the site think I'm someone else in addition to going to a 404...
Interesting glitch (and unrelated to the thread).
Probably nothing to worry about. You won't have access to a different account. The forum software will default to gbatemp.net/account and go to your own account.

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Interesting glitch (and unrelated to the thread).
Probably nothing to worry about. You won't have access to a different account. The forum software will default to gbatemp.net/account and go to your own account.
When I clicked on the account part (lone...wolf3... here) it gave the good ol' security error, refresh the page message. Honestly still think this is funny ngl

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@floofy

I personally wouldn't listen to everyone, its really not that bad to replace the upper screen, just make sure you have a proper toolset, like the cheapest ifixit screwdriver sets, and a pair of good tweezers (i like eyebrow type). The main issue is you need to remove the mobo in the bottom to disconnect the ribbon and they are twisted and with stacked connectors, but everything is quite durable if you are patient and determined you will be successful, just don't rip any ribbons and when you get it back together and gives the quick blue light and pop with power down you need to realize one of your ribbons are not seated well enough, even if you checked them all 3 times already.

you can get screens cheap and what do you have to lose, its already borked, in the worst case you learn a lot and help yourself have the confidence to fix and understand things in the future.
you are 15 you can choose to learn and grow your knowledge, skills and ablities or you can be like most and let the fear of failure prevent you from trying.

• Haha
Reactions: Hayato213

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I personally wouldn't listen to everyone
Sure. Why listen to friendly warnings?

In my opinion it is the wrong kind of repair to start with – and not something to gain confidence. DIY repair is a good thing and anybody should learn basics in this regard but I would not want to start with this as a first step.

its really not that bad to replace the upper screen
A local electronics repair shop outright refused to work on upper screen assembly on 3DS; probably because it is so easy to do, huh?
======

I did this repair twice and twice with success. But I hope to never have to do it again. Last time one of the wires going to a speaker snapped off for no good reason. Not a big deal soldering it back on, but if you don't have a soldering iron at hand this is really bad.

floofy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@floofy

I personally wouldn't listen to everyone, its really not that bad to replace the upper screen, just make sure you have a proper toolset, like the cheapest ifixit screwdriver sets, and a pair of good tweezers (i like eyebrow type). The main issue is you need to remove the mobo in the bottom to disconnect the ribbon and they are twisted and with stacked connectors, but everything is quite durable if you are patient and determined you will be successful, just don't rip any ribbons and when you get it back together and gives the quick blue light and pop with power down you need to realize one of your ribbons are not seated well enough, even if you checked them all 3 times already.

you can get screens cheap and what do you have to lose, its already borked, in the worst case you learn a lot and help yourself have the confidence to fix and understand things in the future.
you are 15 you can choose to learn and grow your knowledge, skills and ablities or you can be like most and let the fear of failure prevent you from trying.
I have a few things to say to this first i have shakey hands, second last time i tried to fix something i broke a ribbion cable connecter, third i have plenty to lose i still use it with twilight menu and a few adons to it and it was my first ever console and holds so many memories that i don't want to even have a possiblity to break it and lose all of those memories

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a few things to say to this first i have shakey hands,
Welcome to the club.

second last time i tried to fix something i broke a ribbion cable connecter,
That is not something that should stop you from trying and learning. Get some scrapped devices and start getting a feeling for such tasks.
Time, patience and care. You can learn how to do it.

with twilight menu and a few adons to it and it was my first ever console and holds so many memories that i don't want to even have a possiblity to break it and lose all of those memories
If you mean data saved on the console you should backup everything. Any device might fail any time without warning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch