Hacking Is the GW card just an expensive DRM dongle?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can! (But only once.)

Although it may be a DRM ploy, it is nice to have a cart you can pop into your different systems and play from. Also for testing games out it sure beats waiting for cias to install. But the facts are that GW has helped the scene a lot so they aren't just leechers like many other cart companies are.
Think how much better off we'd be if they did it for free to begin with, but alas, for every Pandora battery or jailbreak dongle, there's a cfw to come later.

Reactions: Margen67

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Don't actually need to use emuNAND though.

SDcard contents and saves on the SD aren't portable either, so unless a free cfw with .3ds loading from the SD appears you would need to install every cia on each system and have the space taken up for as many consoles as its being used on......so swapping SD cards between consoles is a pointless exercise, you would still need to install the games again and still not have access to the saves

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
SDcard contents and saves on the SD aren't portable either, so unless a free cfw with .3ds loading from the SD appears you would need to install every cia on each system and have the space taken up for as many consoles as its being used on......so swapping SD cards between consoles is a pointless exercise, you would still need to install the games again and still not have access to the saves
I was talking about loading .3DS from the SD card. :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I was talking about loading .3DS from the SD card. :)
didnt see you mention that, you just said you could just take the SD from one console and keep all your games/saves onto another one, which wouldn't be possible without some software base cart emulator......which if im honest i doubt someone would be in a rush to make as the 3DS has a perfectly functional method of launching games from the homescreen without needing to patch a load of stuff just to get .3ds loading and saving from/from the SD.......ahhhhhh theoretical hacks

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Without Gateway there wouldn't even be 3DS scene, I remember these boards before Gateway and they were just full of hype for fake flashcarts and noobs asking how to play roms.
Just replace fake with knockoff and roms with .cias or other formats, and it's the same exact board.

Reactions: xBleedingSoulx

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
didnt see you mention that, you just said you could just take the SD from one console and keep all your games/saves onto another one, which wouldn't be possible without some software base cart emulator......which if im honest i doubt someone would be in a rush to make as the 3DS has a perfectly functional method of launching games from the homescreen without needing to patch a load of stuff just to get .3ds loading and saving from/from the SD.......ahhhhhh theoretical hacks
I didn't, but it was implied by the posts I was replying to. After all the topic was "what if the GW card wasn't required and we could do the same using just the SD card" ;)

Well, GW already had to patch the cart reading method to make the GW cart work. Redirecting cart reads to the memory card would just be taking it one step further.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I didn't, but it was implied by the posts I was replying to. After all the topic was "what if the GW card wasn't required and we could do the same using just the SD card" ;)
well in theory you could do whatever you like, theoretically you could find a bootrom exploit and always boot into CFW....or just bypass the whole need for CFW because the master signing keys are cracked/leaked so you can just sign content as much as you like....thats the thing about "theoretical" hacking....you can pretty much theorize about anything

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that the "NTR" cfw can run region-free cartridges makes that a system patch not a CFW!

This reminds me of another thread in which a user was trying to argue that 3DS had no custom firmware as there is not persistent method to gain access in the boot process. Even if you are only modifying a single bit which has no overall effect to the functionality of the system, the act of breaking signature verification checks to allow booting a modified firmware image is by definition custom firmware.

The fact that emuNAND works, on the N3DS using a KARL3DS preview (which apparently is "months" away from release), is sheer madness. That Youtube video posted more than a month ago is just crazy! Why aren't people releasing the CFW already? Keeping it to themselves? Kernel access since what, November? Really?

I have already answered that question. Even if you don't agree with the ethical arguments provided, the legal argument still stands. Also, what real value is gained by the hacker by releasing? He/she has already accomplished his/her goal. Information is treated as a commodity and releasing it for public consumption devalues it. I myself have actually been a huge proponent in providing transparency for certain types of information in the 3DS scene. Without the moves I made to release the decryptor code to allow for game modding and translation, I don't think the scene would have progressed to the point it has. I am also a strong proponent of documenting security research such as what yifan_lu has done.

In the end me and my fellow security researchers get to decide what's the best ethical, moral, and legal actions regarding information disclosure. If you don't agree you are more than welcome to release whatever information you are able to obtain yourself.

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This reminds me of another thread in which a user was trying to argue that 3DS had no custom firmware as there is not persistent method to gain access in the boot process. Even if you are only modifying a single bit which has no overall effect to the functionality of the system, the act of breaking signature verification checks to allow booting a modified firmware image is by definition custom firmware.

I have already answered that question. Even if you don't agree with the ethical arguments provided, the legal argument still stands.
Which is why govanify is in jail for leaking the 7.x keys and cfw...
oh wait

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worse things than that are happening: http://t.co/k7w7qwWJnf (See pg19+)

Note that the emphasis is on the 4.5 CFW and Ninjhax, not GW and Sky3DS. If a signature patching CFW went public, there would be mass legal chaos.
Yeah that only applies to the prison colony known as the U S of A. No civilized nation would ever give a group of privately owned corporations power to create their own laws.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wouldn't have thought this thread will start such a discussion, as I was mainly interested in the technical aspect. In hindsight, it is a provocative title, I'll give you that :).

Me, on the matter of pro/contra piracy, I don't agree with some of Relys arguments, but I don't think everything should be free and easily accessible either. Relys has a point in that developers deserve to eat, too, and he is right in some other aspects, too. But, for everyone disagreeing to that, see it from a more practical stance. Right now, piracy is a privilege of those of us who go through the troubles of either getting a GW / SKY3DS and getting familiar with that or reading through countless tutorials and doing some arguably dangerous stuff with our consoles. If piracy was available as easy as, say, on the PSP (it takes 10 minute tops to install a free, game backup running CFW on that), Nintendo would be forced to adress the issue more aggresively, which would hurt not only pirates but the homebrew scene in general. Better to stay under the radar as much as possible.

On that matter, I'm also surprised about the amount of hostility in our CFW threads, especially the KARL3DS thread. KARL3DS will enable us to do some wonderful stuff with our 3DS consoles, and what the devs - who work on this for free - include or not is purely up to them. For those of us who want to pirate, just get a GW / SKY3DS and use that alongside KARL3DS - it's as easy as that.

Also, there's that:
Unfortunately if they die out, who will crack the 9.6 encryption for New 3DS? They're the only ones that can crack it. When we will start to see new 3ds games encrypted with the 9.6 new 3ds crypto, then you will cry out for a hero...
Don't forget that team GW - possibly unwillingly - did a lot to get the scene to where it is now, and there are still challenges ahead. Do you think someone who codes as a hobby - for free - has enough time at their hands to even attempt cracking that encryption? Don't forget that this may also require $$$ as you'll possible break a 3DS or too figuring out stuff like that.

On the other hand, it is time for team GW to come up with something new, cause the requirement of being on or below 9.2.0, the requirement for additional purchases and the competition with SKY3DS will kill their business regardless of what happens in the scene.

Still with all that said, I doubt that it will take long until someone will come up with the CFW of your dreams. The scene now has the knowledge and the tools to make that happen.

Reactions: Margen67

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Besides being just a DRM dongle it's pretty clear that they they have a 3 digit profit.

I don't care, they gave me what I wanted without it I wouldn't even have bought a 3ds in the first place and assuming big N doesn't sell consoles on a loss they got more money than they would otherwise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: