Gaming Is Pokemon really fun, or just compulsive?

redfalcon

GBATemp Member
Trophies
Website
code.google.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wish they would go back to the "Gotta catch 'em all" formula. Since you basically get only half a game (with the other half requiring WiFi events or several others to trade with or unlock stuff), Pokemon has become completely uninteresting for me. I don't even mind if it's the same all over again, I don't care about the graphics. The online services will likely shut down after a couple of years, and I won't even be able to experience the whole game if I decide to play it again in ten or more years. Along with the completly stupid concept of hidden (yet influenceable) values that affect your Pokemon. This was interesting in earlier games, but since it has become an integral part of competive playing, its incredibly bad design to leave this stuff obscured from the player. Maybe I'm too old for this stuff.

Reactions: suppow

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Level grinding is annoying no doubt.

I think a good solution would be for the game to have less trainers to battle, but have them present more of a challenge. On a route, most trainers only have 1-3 pokemon, but are easily defeated, usually with one move. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat for hours...

But, if you reduced the number of trainers, let them have say 5-6 pokemon each that don't suck and make you actually have to use a strategy to beat, you'd get strong pokemon in a lot less time. Battles would be a lot more interesting too.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At its core pokemon is nothing but a rather abusive game mechanic, that said at this point its become incredibly polished to the point where you sort of forget your just grinding the entire game.
Don't get me wrong its fun as hell, but its also abusive.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, pokemon is a turn-based RPG, so it got that slow and irritating gameplay. I don't play it because I honestly don't have the patience or time that I had when I was a children. Not to count it didn't have meaningful changes since the original, so it just doesn't make me want to play the newer pokemon games.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
to be honest, i wish this game got an autofire a-button... i'm honestly scared that pokemon breaks my a-button worse than any other game ever.

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It really depends on the person. I enjoy playing pokemon games a lot, and I don't feel like I'm just mashing the A button over and over again.
then again, I'm a bit obsessed with pokemon games :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet +1