Is Ouya better than GameStick for emulators?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'm thinking of getting another small micro-console but this time an Android-type because it seems to be better with emulators than running them through eCFW on my PSTV (some games feel slowed down and same goes for the music).

So with that aside, Ouya seems like a better pick but it's not really slim or small per say so what do you guys recommend?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Consider the new Shield console, it's possibly the biggest oomph you can get Android-wise right now, it's slim and tiny, it offers streaming from PC and it has a relatively acceptable price. If you don't need cream of the crop hardware and just want the thing to work, compare benchmarks of the OUYA and equivalents by Moga, Amazon etc. and pick the one that fares the best with what you intend it to do. All things considered though, the OUYA is a good marriage between price and oomph, especially now that pawn shops are flooded with pre-owned ones.

goober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestick is terrible. The ouya is better for your needs.

That said, get the new shield set-top box. I see little point in buying teeny tiny hardware for the sake of it. The shield isn't very big, no problems in my tiny dorm with it, and it's extremely powerful for what it is. Hell, it can play Gamecube games better than anything else Android hardware based atm afaik.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Shield console while it has only 16GB internally it offers external support for SD Cards so one will never run out of storage space. Seems like the ideal device to go for.

Btw, can I use a PS3, 360 or Wii U Pro Controller with it than the one it comes with?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's Android, you can do whatever you want once it's rooted. Wireless 360 controllers won't work since they're high-frequency radio, not Bluetooth, but anything Bluetooth-compatible or wired should work (with the right drivers/utils, of course).

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inbf @LightyKD comes in.

But yeah its really great but I'd recommend using ps3 controllers instead of ouya since they feel better and are cheaper

LightyKD is here!!!

OUYA is better than GameStick for your emulation needs. You will be going through more hoops with GameStick. The OUYA controller is OK but I agree about the PS3 controller. If you can't stand Sony styled controllers (like me), there are PS3 controllers that are modeled like 360 pads. Finally, If you can afford a Shield Game Console or the Razer Forge TV, get one of those before shooting for a OUYA.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
LightyKD is here!!!

OUYA is better than GameStick for your emulation needs. You will be going through more hoops with GameStick. The OUYA controller is OK but I agree about the PS3 controller. If you can't stand Sony styled controllers (like me), there are PS3 controllers that are modeled like 360 pads. Finally, If you can afford a Shield Game Console or the Razer Forge TV, get one of those before shooting for a OUYA.

Yeah Shield Console looks like the real deal, but when I get to it, I want to see if I can purchase only the console without its controller (the controller alone is going for £50 here).

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
An alternative option: Raspberry Pi 2

Seriously. Getting set up is relatively inexpensive, and they are great emulation and media machines. Set up is ever so slightly more complex, but enough people here use a Pi for various purposes that you could easily get set up with whatever you need within an hour.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Shield Console looks like the real deal, but when I get to it, I want to see if I can purchase only the console without its controller (the controller alone is going for £50 here).

I would love to get my hands on a Shield but realistically I'll end up with a Forge TV due to the OUYA discount plan coming in Q4 this year. Hopefully the Forge can handle the new PS2 emulator. I want to play Rumble Roses again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill