Is MTP broken on Switch? Extremely slow transfer speeds from Switch->PC

GothicIII

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I recently got a new SD card. Went all in and bought a 1TB Class A2/U3/V30 card. Has advertised read speeds of 150MB/s. My best card reader manages 80MB/s but this is enough for me.

Sometimes I want to backup a few files or games. The switch manages ftp speeds of about 200Mbits (~20-25MB/s).

What sucks really hard is that connecting the Switch over MTP (with usb30_force_enabled = u8!0x1 in atmosphere config) it performs really bad.
DBI manages 15MB/s despite saying that it is using 3.0 super speed.
The atmosphere usb tool can't even hold 10MB/s and drops frequently to 7MB/s.
Backing up e.g. 50GB would take ages that way. I tested this with a big single file of 4GB in size (Fat32 limitations)

Thats using usb 3.2, 3.1 ports with really high quality usb 3 cables which are proven to work with high transfer speeds. I hoped for at least 50MB/s.

I mean of course I could just pull out the sd card, but
I already managed to break 1 sd slot (they are really fragile and break easily when worn out), so I don't want to go again through the trouble to order one, then to wait 3 weeks to arrive for it and then instantly realizing it is broken out of the box=>again 3 weeks of waiting for replacement.
No thanks.

What kind of black voodoo magic should I apply for this thing to work?

EDIT: using erista switch with fw 17.0.0.1, atmosphere 1.6.2, current DBI (6xx)
EDIT2: UMS from hekate manages 25MB/s read and 15MB/s write speeds.
EDIT3: Changed cable and ports absolutely no difference.

Last edited by GothicIII,
  • Sad
Reactions: Blythe93

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So how exactly is it better than dbi at installing nsp’s/XCIs etc?
Haze is JUST a MTP server of your SD Card.

DBI have a MTP server which present to host several "virtual disks" you can use that disk for:
  • Install games on NAND or SD
  • Read the SD Card, NAND (User) NAND (System)
  • Read the installed games RomFS
  • Read the Savegames of your console (installed or removed titles)
  • Read the Album files
  • Read the SDMC:/Switch Folder
  • Read the ScreenShots of Homebrew
1708233215924.png

Its not. It's not even a title installer. Duckbill is the original creator of DBI, who then give up working on it, and now somebody else is maintaining it, and I think he is upset about that.
Yeap: https://gbatemp.net/threads/dbi-iss...1mb-in-size-cant-backup-games-via-mtp.648127/

GothicIII

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, took a while.
I am in the process of backing up my SD card and doing a lowlevel format. Hekate's benchmark tool shows low IOPS at the middle of the partition{?} when reading 16Kib/4Kib data. At the beginning/end I have completely fine results.

Question: Is the benchmark tool dependant on the cluster size/filesystem on the card? It shows "Raw Read" so I would assume that it would not matter... Then I'd need to return the SD card? I'll try writing the whole device with 0x00 first and test again.

I find this so weird since I do the file backup constantly with >90MB/s, but the switch struggles to do quarter the speed...

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Sorry, took a while.
I am in the process of backing up my SD card and doing a lowlevel format. Hekate's benchmark tool shows low IOPS at the middle of the partition{?} when reading 16Kib/4Kib data. At the beginning/end I have completely fine results.

Question: Is the benchmark tool dependant on the cluster size/filesystem on the card? It shows "Raw Read" so I would assume that it would not matter... Then I'd need to return the SD card? I'll try writing the whole device with 0x00 first and test again.

I find this so weird since I do the file backup constantly with >90MB/s, but the switch struggles to do quarter the speed...
You can use fat32 format (https://gbatemp.net/download/gui-format.33869/) to format your card, and then test your sd card using H2Testw (https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539)

Before use it on the console format again using hekate, hekate will take care of the cluster size and partitions alignments

Let us to know the results

GothicIII

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can use fat32 format (https://gbatemp.net/download/gui-format.33869/) to format your card, and then test your sd card using H2Testw (https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539)

Before use it on the console format again using hekate, hekate will take care of the cluster size and partitions alignments

Let us to know the results

Yeah already did that. Guiformat defaults to 32k cluster size. Hekate does the same. I had previously formatted it with 64k clusters since bigger partitions tend to hold bigger data and so the performance with 64k cluster can be better. That's also (gnu) gparted defaults.

I already benched the SD card again but the results are mixed. Sometimes it reaches 3k iops than other times it barely manages 2k. Usually 4kib random read performance is better than sequential 4Kib read... Only the 16Mib tests are constantly fine with about 90MB/s

I conclude that's the quirks of this sd card (Lexar 1TB msd). It is advertised to work perfectly with the switch and the reviews don't tell otherwise. But here I am. Just want to copy data from it over USB \__(o_o)__/

It takes like another 6 hours until I restored all data to it. Copies with 12-20MB/s. V30 my ass.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I conclude that's the quirks of this sd card (Lexar 1TB msd).
I have seen alot of people having issues with Lexar sd cards in the Switch. I have also personally bought two 1tb Lexar cards ($17) that ended up being fakes, so be warned. I recommend always buy Sandisk.

GothicIII

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have seen alot of people having issues with Lexar sd cards in the Switch. I have also personally bought two 1tb Lexar cards ($17) that ended up being fakes, so be warned. I recommend always buy Sandisk.
I wouldn't mind if I paid 17$ for this card. But it was 120$! I'll skip sandisk. The V30 cards with the same specs cost 160$ on amazon. No thanks.
The card is 100% legit but just slow as f***. *Hugh* Guess that card goes onto my returnee staple back to amazon...

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The card is 100% legit but just slow as f***. *Hugh* Guess that card goes onto my returnee staple back to amazon...
If its not running the speeds it advertised, or close to, I would not call it 100% legit then. Sorry to hear your issues though. Like they always say, you get what you pay for, that's why Sandisk not cheap, cause they are the best. And don't know where you buying cards for that price, but look here:
Screenshot 2024-02-25 120205.png

GothicIII

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If its not running the speeds it advertised, or close to, I would not call it 100% legit then. Sorry to hear your issues though. Like they always say, you get what you pay for, that's why Sandisk not cheap, cause they are the best. And don't know where you buying cards for that price, but look here:
View attachment 422254
Thats the model I bought previously (200GB version) but they aren't available for a long time now. The most I get is 512GB. I'd have to rely on ebay to get a 1TB one for 110$. Trying on ebay is the same as trying to get a legit card on aliexpress.
I am in Germany and due to the shitstorm which happens in europe everything got extremely expensive. Amazon is also flooded with counterfeit products. It is redicolous.

This what you get here when looking for '1TB micro sd'
SD_Cards.jpg

• Sad

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch