Gaming Is it okay to "Pirate" games you already own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes no difference. The companies only really care for new games. I have a nice collection of games from all generations and ill download any rom/iso. I only buy games that desire support. I don't buy beta-ware. The last time i checked the bible it said nothing about digital piracy. Digital piracy is not theft unless some broke in to the system storing the data and copied it. when something is openly shared its not theft. when you give recorded tv show so someone is that theft. last time i check the tv program was still present in the broadcast system. What makes digital piracy illegal is the copyright laws. So downloading roms aint stealing. besides wouldnt you rather play snes games with a super wild card dx2 or a flash cart then burn up those expensive games in your collection?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

NotNotMe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not you, the original postee, there really is no reason to use CEMU if he actually has a wiiu because the compatibility for it is not great while the minimum requirements is ridiculously high. the only reason to have cemu is if he didnt have a capture card and he wanted to record hi def gameplay really
Or like me use a 5G connection. Wii U can only connect to 2.4G connections so I can’t even play online on my actual Wii U but it works fine on CEMU

D

Deleted User

I question the notion that nobody can come after you if you say torrent a game that you own. If that's the case let's say I torrent the newest hottest game that came out and I get a notice in the mail about it that i torrented in, what's the stop me from then going and buying it and claiming "I already owned it" That would be too easy.

And this is just getting very technical because nobody really gets in trouble for pirating anyway and if you're not torrenting there's no way they can even find out. But technically they can sue you for torrenting something. I think the only thing you can do is make your own backups but you can't download them from the internet legally.

D

Deleted User

If you are worried about getting in any trouble just don't torrent otherwise download what you want regardless if you own it or not.

Edit: I just now realized someone bumped this from nearly FIVE years ago. WTF.

Last edited by ,

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I think it's ethical to pirate any digital media, even stuff from indie devs so long as you support their work in other ways though I do prefer to buy indie games regardless. I'll almost never pay for AAA games anymore.

Is it legal? Not really, just don't get caught ;)

And don't tell on me!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pirating only the switch games I own, and only the games I own. I'm all digital, so I don't want the eshop to go down eventually and have no way to download my games. though, if the wii u and wii are any indication, you never lose your tickets unless on another console. I'm compressing strikers at this very moment actually:
upload_2021-2-20_14-25-10.png

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most companies really don't give a shit if you pirate a video game. Unless you leak a game, host roms, or distribute a device that helps people pirate. The FBI isn't going to kick your door in for pirating Mario Party 2.

Seliph

Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but that doesn't make them outlaws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw
Well... I don't think we use outlaw as a legal concept anymore since it was a bit inhumane.

"In historical legal systems, an outlaw is one declared as outside the protection of the law. In pre-modern societies, all legal protection was withdrawn from the criminal, so that anyone is legally empowered to persecute or kill them."

Would be really cool if I could just legally cap Jeff Bezos for making money off of slavery though. Open season on all billionaires.

Last edited by Seliph,

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Short Answer: Yes with no remorse.

Long Answer: If you have the cartridges,you can put your backups in your flashcarts or microsd.Its legal in every country to have your backups and also i dont want to carry 20 or 30 cartrigdes on my bags.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short Answer: Yes with no remorse.

Long Answer: If you have the cartridges,you can put your backups in your flashcarts or microsd.Its legal in every country to have your backups and also i dont want to carry 20 or 30 cartrigdes on my bags.

that's what I did to all gba games, but I put a lot more games on the everdrive. I even extracted my saves from the cartridges and put them on the everdrive, but you need to know what kind of save it is and rename it accordingly:

upload_2021-2-20_14-38-13.png

you can tell by save size. the flash cart will create the correct one by default, but these are the saves I transferred over from the cartridges. as you can see, different sizes mean different extensions.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its legal in every country to have your backups and also i dont want to carry 20 or 30 cartrigdes on my bags.

Only half of that statement is true, it's not legal in every country to backup cartridges. The UK has no fair use backup law at all. If you want the benefit of a backup copy in case the first one breaks, then you can buy another.

Last edited by smf,

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Only half of that statement is true, it's not legal in every country to backup cartridges. The UK has no fair use law at all.
Well fair enough,I thought UK have the legal rights to doing your backups.I dont know of some parts of Europe have that restrictions. I live in México and i can cross the border (USA)so you i can have your my own legal backups.

@godborn yes i prefer your method and everyone here on gbatemp have the same setup.I have a 3ds and psp, i dont like to carry cartridges so i do my own backups.

Last edited by JaNDeRPeiCH,
D

Deleted User

Most companies really don't give a shit if you pirate a video game. Unless you leak a game, host roms, or distribute a device that helps people pirate. The FBI isn't going to kick your door in for pirating Mario Party 2.

I think Nintendo cares very much and if they could they would line any Nintendo piraters up in the firing line. But they can't.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only half of that statement is true, it's not legal in every country to backup cartridges. The UK has no fair use backup law at all. If you want the benefit of a backup copy in case the first one breaks, then you can buy another.
Exept you are wrong and I quote from the below GovYou link.

The Copyright And Rights Regulations act (hereafter referred to as the CRRA) was introduced around 2003 and was a series of amendments to the UK’s copyright laws. The section of the law allowing consumers to make a personal backup copy has NOT been changed by the CRRA. You are still entitled by UK law to make a backup copy of any piece of software you buy legally.

https://www.govyou.co.uk/copyright-law-personal-backup-of-video-games/

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's morally ok however it is illegal and Reggie will break your knees. This was proven in court with Napster's "shape-shifting" argument (the legal part not the part about Reggie breaking your knees).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro