Hacking Is Atmosphere more stable/compatible than SX OX?

vicicarus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you in advance for any and all help provided,

I am on current firmware(9.1.0) using current SX OX Pro firmware(2.9.3) using San disk Ultra 400gb SDXC UHS-I (fat32) I was trying to use EdiZon(3.1.0) but it crashes the system. As I read more on trouble shooting, I noticed that there are more trouble shooting examples and tutorials that show the user on atmosphere and not so many on SX OX. Is it because it open source CFW or is it because it's better compatible with the switch? When I read on how to try to fix EdiZon I ended up formatting from exfat to fat32 on the sd card but that didn't fix the problem(on SX OX). I installed atmosphere from the home-brew app store and I launched it through the SX OX home-brew menu(not sure if that's ok) and EdiZon works. So I started to think of the compatibility between the two FW's. I'm not asking/saying if its better, I know both FW's have pros and cons. But just Edizon alone, the trouble shooting steps and seeing the instructions on "how to" make me wonder if that's the reason I see more of atmosphere and not so much of SX OX? Apologizes if I didn't explain it clearly, was not to sure how to word it out.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
There are probably people who will disagree when i say it (as usual) but there were cases when SX OS had bugs Atmosphere didn't because either they copied beta code from Atmosphere or they messed up the integration of their features. Both had and will have bugs in the future (often the same because same code of course).

vicicarus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all so mush for the replies,

Since all suggest Atmosphere is the better choice, should I do a fresh install of the Atmosphere or can I boot up into it through the SX OX menu like I have been doing? Do I get the best out of Atmosphere this way? What would be best?

Last edited by vicicarus,
Reactions: ELY_M

dudephanith

Trophies
XP
Country

Since all suggest Atmosphere is the better choice, should I do a fresh install of the Atmosphere or can I boot up into it through the SX OX menu like I have been doing? Do I get the best out of Atmosphere this way? What would be best?

I think there a tutorial that u can use both Atm and SX on the same emmc parition.
Therefore, u can still play XCI file in docked mode using USB feature of SX.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

silly observation, but if you're already running BOTH SX OS and Atmosphere, why ask the initial question? You should be aware what the compatibility is like (pretty much every game runs under both custom firmware options anyways, though there was an issue with Atmosphere slowing down when running Resident Evil and some other games because they had a large number of files open to run the game and it caused issues under Atmos).

The replies you have had may have been under the assumption you were going to buy an SX OS licence (and you already have one) as the people replying are all extremely anti-SX OS (check their post histories). I'll admit I'm for SX OS - I bought it when it was first released and was the only option to run backups, was the first to have cheats, was the first to have emuNAND and the USB loading / installation (allowing both NSP and XCI access) and XCI access have been extremely useful for me and my kids. So there is my maintaining probity.

SXAintSoBad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
However, you will find users who claim XCI-loading from external USB devices is necessary to them.
Such as myself.

I started with SX-OS, then moved to Atmosphere, and have now gone back to SX-OS, precisely for this reason as I have run out of room on my microSD card and I don't want to delete anything or swap microSD cards around all the time. The next size microSD card is 1Tb which is a poor value proposition at this time.

I also took the opportunity to upgrade to 9.1.0.

The upgrade process from 8.1.0 to 9.1.0 OFW was enlightening:

1. Update firmware via OFW [I don't care about online play or fuse status]

For SX-OS;
2. Copy boot.dat to root of SD Card.
DONE. All needed tools included.

For Atmosphere:
2. Copy atmosphere files to SD Card
NOT DONE YET
3. Locate sigpatches. Copy across sigpatches.
4. Locate updated versions of all the relevant needed homebrew applications. Copy these across.
still need to fully test all of this out to ensure it works properly.

I'd forgotten just how much simpler SX-OS is to use.

ps this is really NOT meant to start yet another flame war. As of right now, SX OS meets *my* needs better than Atmosphere.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The replies you have had may have been under the assumption you were going to buy an SX OS licence (and you already have one) as the people replying are all extremely anti-SX OS (check their post histories).
Excuse me, but I, for one, am not "extremely anti-SX OS", and my post history is meagre - 24 posts. Sure, I do use Atmosphere/KOSMOS, but that's not because I detest SX OS. Instead, I find Atmosphere/KOSMOS the easiest to use, and is also free (aside from the cost of my USB-A-to-USB-C cable and my jig); heck, I don't even know that much about SX OS, aside from how it apparently copied code from Atmosphere.

Please don't create a wide generalisation; doesn't speak well of you as a person, really.

Reactions: ELY_M

vicicarus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
silly observation, but if you're already running BOTH SX OS and Atmosphere, why ask the initial question? You should be aware what the compatibility is like (pretty much every game runs under both custom firmware options anyways, though there was an issue with Atmosphere slowing down when running Resident Evil and some other games because they had a large number of files open to run the game and it caused issues under Atmos).

The replies you have had may have been under the assumption you were going to buy an SX OS licence (and you already have one) as the people replying are all extremely anti-SX OS (check their post histories). I'll admit I'm for SX OS - I bought it when it was first released and was the only option to run backups, was the first to have cheats, was the first to have emuNAND and the USB loading / installation (allowing both NSP and XCI access) and XCI access have been extremely useful for me and my kids. So there is my maintaining probity.

Thank you for replies,

I posted that I am on the current SX OX Pro FW and that I installed Atmosphere from the home-brew app store, I should have mentioned that I didn't switch over to it full time to Atmosphere. I also didn't mention I don't play online. I apologize for any confusion. I had a bit of trouble posting my question. I haven't used Atmosphere other than to test EdiZon(minutes at most). I looked up trouble shooting for SX OX and there is some success steps in fixing the EdiZon issue but I didn't have luck with it. I tried reading up on trouble shooting before posting for help or advise. SX OX is what I mostly know for the switch and it works good other than the cheats I was trying to get to work. Had not read to much into Atmosphere before now.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Just for the USB, I`m stickin` to SX, it`s a pain the micro SD cards with so many games and so low space (and updates every now and then), and loading them from USB is a must if you have a pletora of games. If Atmosphere finds a way in the future (a dev, I mean, I know atmosphere is antipiracy) to load XCI from USB then it should be the best option. If you plan on using low quantity of games, atmos, if you plan to use a big quantity of games, SX and make good use of the USB loading thing. Just my 2 cents.

Gamerjin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on current firmware(9.1.0) using current SX OX Pro firmware(2.9.3) using San disk Ultra 400gb SDXC UHS-I (fat32) I was trying to use EdiZon(3.1.0) but it crashes the system.
As a Dual-setup user, i can safely tell you, that edizon relies on Atmosphere cheat mechanism to work. so when you try to access it while sxos cheat engine is attached (from the moment you open the game...) yeah, it gonna crash. Plus, i dont think there is a "hold this key to not attach the cheat engine, unlike atmosphere( i think the default key is !L (not holding L)"

Edit: After going back and re-reading the OP....
I find it a matter of personal preference, if you want to use edizon, stick with atmosphere. If youre ok with testing cheats, or searching for everything, then yeah might want to stay on sxos.

Last edited by Gamerjin,

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
I'm using both cfw but I feel like atmos is the more stable cfw since I've never experience a random crash while on atmos, when I was on sx os sometimes the switch crashes on me when exiting a game. Also I feel like idle battery drain is slower on atmos than on sx os.

vicicarus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for that tip, that is interesting. Makes sense thou.I didn't come across that. The information I read did not mention both cheat engines would clash.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Excuse me, but I, for one, am not "extremely anti-SX OS", and my post history is meagre - 24 posts. Sure, I do use Atmosphere/KOSMOS, but that's not because I detest SX OS. Instead, I find Atmosphere/KOSMOS the easiest to use, and is also free (aside from the cost of my USB-A-to-USB-C cable and my jig); heck, I don't even know that much about SX OS, aside from how it apparently copied code from Atmosphere.

Gee you either have a guilt complex about something, or seeking attention to think I was talking to you - with a meagre 24 posts - so unless the majority of those 24 posts were anti SX OS then your paranoia is unfounded and simply a call to senpai to notice you.

Last edited by gizmomelb,
Reactions: Josshy0125

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Gy3BOmvLf2w?list=OLAK5uy_k27izUIERfT-RIE1qN1CHIOIkW4h5A9BY Play this song if...