Homebrew Is anybody making any emulators that aren't Retroarch?

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
kids today make me laugh having to wait about 10 seconds for something to load and they complain it takes too long try having a zx spectrum back in the 80s when it took about 5mins for a game to load then you would finish the first level then need to wait another 5mins for the next level to load only to find something went wrong right at the end then having to rewind the tape to the right point and try again lol.
If none of the 'kids today' in the ZX Spectrum days complained about the loading process, it would never have improved.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the caveat is you have to load CFW every time to get the faster speeds, I doubt they'll ever work faster without it.
Most people use cfw anyways so I don't see the problem. And maybe they can add the autolaunch iosuhax code (from things like the haxchi .elf) to retroarch and it will always have the boost.

Reactions: brienj

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people use cfw anyways so I don't see the problem. And maybe they can add the autolaunch iosuhax code (from things like the haxchi .elf) to retroarch and it will always have the boost.

No idea, and yes, I've yet to install CBCH, crazy week and all that. I'll need to do that at some point; in the mean time I can use Mocha (I assume I hold B to bypass that advanced menu) to go straight to system menu?

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Retroarch is one of the best possible solutions for emulators on the wii u one interface for all emulators
you dont have to mess around with different folder structures for each emu

Reactions: brienj

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea, and yes, I've yet to install CBCH, crazy week and all that. I'll need to do that at some point; in the mean time I can use Mocha (I assume I hold B to bypass that advanced menu) to go straight to system menu?
One of the settings (called "autoboot" I think) will make it skip the config menu without holding any buttons.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Kids these days with their wireless controller and day zero DLC. Back in my day we gamed in the snow uphill both ways! And we LIKED it! And now they're all snappy because their most popular emulator has too many systems in it. Back in MY DAY emulators had game-breaking inaccuracy, and we were GRATEFUL! Kids these days act like they're ENTITLED to *falls asleep mid-sentence*

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes it just autoboots directly to youre desired Software CFW mocha homebrew etc you can get rid of autoboot by holding the menu or sync button on the gamepad while autoboot is on the tv/gamepad screen.

If you plan to autoboot into a cfw dont use mocha and cbhc for sysmenu cbhc has its own firmware and dosent need mocha in sysmenu autobooting mocha is only useable for rednand but nobody should

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes it just autoboots directly to youre desired Software CFW mocha homebrew etc you can get rid of autoboot by holding the menu or sync button on the gamepad while autoboot is on the tv/gamepad screen.

If you plan to autoboot into a cfw dont use mocha and cbhc for sysmenu cbhc has its own firmware and dosent need mocha in sysmenu autobooting mocha is only useable for rednand but nobody should
Mocha is also usable for people who only use Haxchi, like me, and aren't going to put a potential brick like CBHC on their Wii U.

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
CBHC is pretty safe by now is kinda hard to brick with CBHC
you need to be a moron to brick with CBHC like having the VC installed to usb while installig CBHC or deleting Haxchi after installing CBHC or moving Haxchi to usb after installing CBHC wich isnt possible anymore while being in CBHC CFW !

brienj

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
CBHC is pretty safe by now is kinda hard to brick with CBHC
you need to be a moron to brick with CBHC like having the VC installed to usb while installig CBHC or deleting Haxchi after installing CBHC or moving Haxchi to usb after installing CBHC wich isnt possible anymore while being in CBHC CFW !
I have kids that use the Wii U. Good for you that you don't.

Reactions: Deleted User
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
thats why i said "should" and "port". Same processor arch. its not like its going from wii to ps3.... The wii motes should work as soon as code is added to support them in Wii U mode
Again: Said nobody, ever. That's just not how it works, much to my dismay :3
The Wii, PS3, Wii U, XBox 360 and any pre-2005ish Mac all share the PowerPC processor architecture. However, you don't see Mac OS ported over with the message "All we needed was Wiimote support!"
There's more to a machine than the processor. You'll have a different memory map, a different OS and permissions system, a different graphics card (this is a big one!) and reams of other fairly major differences; especially when the Mac is in the picture.
Trust me; I wish it was as easy as sharing a processor arch. The thing is; it just isn't. In fact, what with most things being written in C, processor architecture matters less than ever. It's the other hardware that needs the work.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kids today make me laugh having to wait about 10 seconds for something to load and they complain it takes too long try having a zx spectrum back in the 80s when it took about 5mins for a game to load then you would finish the first level then need to wait another 5mins for the next level to load only to find something went wrong right at the end then having to rewind the tape to the right point and try again lol.

Street fighter alpha 2 on SNES, load times in between battles that take like 5 seconds, if you lived in japan, FAMICOM DISK SYSTEM, Most disc based games in late 1990 (Didn't have skipable cutscenes and if you had to watch it again eithr cause you lost and didn't save after, they were long though.) Let's not forget load times were so long and boring games but mini games on those screens and other stuff to keep player entertained. And who can forget metal gear solid 4 data install screens in between chapters :P

IMO Retroarch emulators are the easiest to use. Drag and drop roms, bios and additional files where they belong, start the core, config it properly, run games, enjoy forever.

Meanwhile on most emulators especially pc, Download snes9x archive> extract > Drag and drop Rom to opened snes9x executable> start playing.

Yes I am aware that retroarch is a functional multipurpose emulator for many consoles and it works for many people here, i also understand that it works well and is currently the only one on Wii U, but is a matter of preference. Not many people find retroarch simple even though people who do use them do find it simple.

Only speaking from experience alone, i use it, it works well, emulate lots of consoles, even ones that hasn't been stand alone emulated yet for some consoles as homebrew, I managed to play wonderswan on android using it while no wondeswan emulator exist for android to my knowledge. Even game gear, which i think some exist but aren't free on google store and is great, is a good thing. But the process of setting the stuff up to work is the part i dislike, and i thought the arcade and neo geo emulators like final burn alpha and mame were complex.

Meanwhile the Stand alone emulators on Vwii are simple, open the emulated console desired, select rom and play game, the options are simple to set up and easy to understand and navigate. On PC you can just drag and drop roms to the exe file and instantly load your game, retro arch requires you to first download a emulator core (which is the console you will be playing) that has many to choose from and if you don't know that part well may be confusing, after that, find the directory with the roms in it and scan them. Since the scanning process looks for roms in a universial database that only list official roms and games publised and licensed to display in depht information. Cause of this reason, i really dunno how to play a rom hack on it and end up using a different emulator. Configure drivers, map buttons, some video and audio settings (if is preset a way you dislike) and a few other finishing touches.

It makes for a complete emulation system all in one, once again is good thing but some people just prefer a simple approach and easy to understand. Sadly is the only one on Wii U at the moment (or maybe ever) but is just a matter of preference to some people. If the OP wish to use another emulator, they should try using the VWII homebrew emulators that already exist at this time, and hope they will on WII U in future. Of course it means it doesn't use full power of the wii u system trapped in virtual wii mode limitations, but the gx emulators that are there do work well enough at the time. Honestly i'm glad i can still use them on wii u, cause if v wii didn't exist we would have to had wait until it was possible to even use homebrew, let's remember vwii homebrew was possible From the beginning, as day one i managed to use it with my smash bros game after team boot mii quickly made a homebrew installer for it days after release. :)

brienj

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Meanwhile on most emulators especially pc, Download snes9x archive> extract > Drag and drop Rom to opened snes9x executable> start playing.

Yes I am aware that retroarch is a functional multipurpose emulator for many consoles and it works for many people here, i also understand that it works well and is currently the only one on Wii U, but is a matter of preference. Not many people find retroarch simple even though people who do use them do find it simple.

Only speaking from experience alone, i use it, it works well, emulate lots of consoles, even ones that hasn't been stand alone emulated yet for some consoles as homebrew, I managed to play wonderswan on android using it while no wondeswan emulator exist for android to my knowledge. Even game gear, which i think some exist but aren't free on google store and is great, is a good thing. But the process of setting the stuff up to work is the part i dislike, and i thought the arcade and neo geo emulators like final burn alpha and mame were complex.

Meanwhile the Stand alone emulators on Vwii are simple, open the emulated console desired, select rom and play game, the options are simple to set up and easy to understand and navigate. On PC you can just drag and drop roms to the exe file and instantly load your game, retro arch requires you to first download a emulator core (which is the console you will be playing) that has many to choose from and if you don't know that part well may be confusing, after that, find the directory with the roms in it and scan them. Since the scanning process looks for roms in a universial database that only list official roms and games publised and licensed to display in depht information. Cause of this reason, i really dunno how to play a rom hack on it and end up using a different emulator. Configure drivers, map buttons, some video and audio settings (if is preset a way you dislike) and a few other finishing touches.

It makes for a complete emulation system all in one, once again is good thing but some people just prefer a simple approach and easy to understand. Sadly is the only one on Wii U at the moment (or maybe ever) but is just a matter of preference to some people. If the OP wish to use another emulator, they should try using the VWII homebrew emulators that already exist at this time, and hope they will on WII U in future. Of course it means it doesn't use full power of the wii u system trapped in virtual wii mode limitations, but the gx emulators that are there do work well enough at the time. Honestly i'm glad i can still use them on wii u, cause if v wii didn't exist we would have to had wait until it was possible to even use homebrew, let's remember vwii homebrew was possible From the beginning, as day one i managed to use it with my smash bros game after team boot mii quickly made a homebrew installer for it days after release. :)
You open the libretro emulator on Wii U. Open file (ROM), and the game starts. What in the world are you talking about? It couldn't be any easier to play a ROM. It is exactly what you describe for a vWii emulator, exactly the same. Sure, there are some advanced settings you COULD change if you wanted, but you don't need to at all. I start for example the SNES9X libretro rpx, browse to my ROM, open it, and start playing.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You open the libretro emulator on Wii U. Open file (ROM), and the game starts. What in the world are you talking about? It couldn't be any easier to play a ROM. It is exactly what you describe for a vWii emulator, exactly the same. Sure, there are some advanced settings you COULD change if you wanted, but you don't need to at all. I start for example the SNES9X libretro rpx, browse to my ROM, open it, and start playing.

In terms of emulation quality, these already surpass the Wii's emulators in my opinion, without having to use speed hacks and frameskipping to compensate for the Wii's underpowered CPU. The fact they work this well from the get go, is nothing short of amazing :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents