iPhone: Invention of the Year.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, interesting points people. But which one would be the best tech invention of the year? (Instead of the iPhone, this is going to get interesting)

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
The only disagreement I have is the award itself - iPhone is not an invention.
It's an innovation. YouTube isn't an invention either - but it sure is an innovation.

They both used technology that existed before, some even in way better forms, however they both made it intuitive and accessible to mainstream public.
wink.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
(Youtube and iPhone)...

They both used technology that existed before, some even in way better forms, however they both made it intuitive and accessible to mainstream public.
wink.gif

You mean they both dumb it down to a level where monkeys could use it, and only then is it accessible to mainstream public? That's a very cynical view of the mainstream public's inteligence, MaHe
wink.gif

I agree with you, of course, but the tradeoff here was advanced features/options versus intuitiveness/ease of use (is "intuitiveness" a real word?). The new user interface that the entire Web 2.0 concept and the iPhone have does make many functions previously reserved for (and in many cases only used by) computer geeks accessible to the general population, but at the expense of many advanced features that the iPhone (and Youtube, for that matter) lacks. But that's the difference betweeen "invented" and "accepted"; the TV became widely accepted in the 1940s, but it was -invented- in 1900.

QUOTE(VVoltz @ Nov 5 2007, 11:26 PM)OK, interesting points people. But which one would be the best tech invention of the year?
Well, that new semiconductor material that can be used to make solar cells with three times greater transformation rate than the standard ones.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I read that review/editorial (it was hotlinked from apple's homepage) and it annoyed me.

For a phone that restricts homebrew, I find it hard to believe that it's a "Genuine handheld computer, that is the first device to really deserve the name smartphone"

What a load of bullshit. Symbian based phones have been smart for ages with 100s of apps already out for them, including GBC & GBA emulators. My N95 also has 3.5G and GPS built into it, making Google Maps (an example app from the review/editorial) actually useful. It also has a good quality headphone socket, plays mp3 and streams videos (including youtube). In fact, It does much more than what the iPhone does.

I'm not a mac hater. I'm on a Mac right now. I own an iPod. (4th Gen 20GB B&W screen with click wheel) I just think the iPhone is underwhelming as a piece of technology, and costs far too much.

And for the cynics, you might find this amusing: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I thought they were allowing homebrew type stuff? it's a good phone but not really for me. The multi-touch screen is cool and I could see some good homebrew being created.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought they were allowing homebrew type stuff? it's a good phone but not really for me. The multi-touch screen is cool and I could see some good homebrew being created.

Yes, but due to them not wishing for phones to be unlocked, etc I doubt an Apple-released devkit would hand full control of the device to the user.

Testing area content was filtered.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the iPhone has EDGE....why not 3G which is faster?

Battery life.

QUOTE said:
And for the cynics, you might find this amusing: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
As amusing as the article may be, its biased to the point of being completely useless to anyone looking for a logical comparison.

QUOTE said:
You can stay on the old firmware but that seems pointless to me.
The 1.1.1 firmware is working fine with most apps.

QUOTEIMO, it'd be more deserving of it if they encouraged homebrew and didnt lock with companies and gave up stupid protection crap.
What does that have anything to do with how good of an "invention" it is?

Hm, good point. There are devices with more functionality out there. Perhaps the reason they picked the iPhone specifically is because of it's cultural accessibility. I for one don't pretend to know which exact model or brand the n95 is, but the entire world know who Apple is. Making it a product that's more likely to be purchased (putting the price aside)
I think the reason they picked it was because of the interface. While the N95 has more features, and is superior in more than a few ways, it has a very lackluster GUI which doesn't really stand out in any way from the hundreds of other smart phones on the market.

It comes down to this: while it is lacking quite a few features found in other smart phones, it excels with its almost godly build quality, fantastic interface, and large beautiful screen. Whether or not the missing features outweigh its strengths really depends on your personal needs.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iphone is the best invention ever cuase steve jobs made it

END THREAD !

Please do me (everyone?) a favour and shut up? Please?
frown.gif

Yes, but due to them not wishing for phones to be unlocked, etc I doubt an Apple-released devkit would hand full control of the device to the user.

YOU SIR have hurt my feelings !

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kinda stupid getting "Invention of the Year," its more like a revolutionary step in smart phones, then again you could say it "reinvented" the smart phone, which kinda makes sense why its the "invention of the year."

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like mine. Unless you've actually used one for a little while, no point in arguing about it. Best phone I've ever had, but I've been using apple products for 4-5 years, so I'm pretty happy about it. Of course I wish they would open it up to 3rd party developers sooner than later and a couple of other things, but things are moving faster than the DS-X team, been waiting on that crew for months now.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As much as I dont like the iphone, I cant think of anything else that came out this year that would get it... *really really wants to think of something else*

hmmm......

what got it last year?

Hiratai

I'm like *tick* *tick*
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the iPhone has EDGE....why not 3G which is faster?
Battery life.

As amusing as the article may be, its biased to the point of being completely useless to anyone looking for a logical comparison.

You can stay on the old firmware but that seems pointless to me.
The 1.1.1 firmware is working fine with most apps.

IMO, it'd be more deserving of it if they encouraged homebrew and didnt lock with companies and gave up stupid protection crap.
What does that have anything to do with how good of an "invention" it is?

Hm, good point. There are devices with more functionality out there. Perhaps the reason they picked the iPhone specifically is because of it's cultural accessibility. I for one don't pretend to know which exact model or brand the n95 is, but the entire world know who Apple is. Making it a product that's more likely to be purchased (putting the price aside)
I think the reason they picked it was because of the interface. While the N95 has more features, and is superior in more than a few ways, it has a very lackluster GUI which doesn't really stand out in any way from the hundreds of other smart phones on the market.

It comes down to this: while it is lacking quite a few features found in other smart phones, it excels with its almost godly build quality, fantastic interface, and large beautiful screen. Whether or not the missing features outweigh its strengths really depends on your personal needs.
Then why wasn't the PSP the invention of the year for 05?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro