Hacking Introducing LetterBomb: The NEW Gameless Wii Exploit!

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JoostinOnline said:
Old8oy said:
and why take the time to update IOS when you can simply run a system update? you're just adding unnecessary maintenance
Because the update is dangerous if nothing else.
Having bricked a wii updating it officially to 4.3 (froze half-way through, then no longer booted), I agree with this. It, and the fact bannerbomb didn't work were the reasons I didn't recommend updating. As of 4.6.1, Modmii doesn't support LetterBomb, so if he'd updated, it'd recommend he buy a game.

Also, IOS58 is NOT new to 4.3. Yes, it's the first internet update to offer it, but the IOS itself was around before 4.3. You just needed Your Shape or a wad until 4.3 came out.

As for the wifi driver improvements...I've never heard of this until now.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
QUOTE(JoostinOnline @ Aug 13 2011, 10:13 AM) QUOTE(Old8oy @ Aug 13 2011, 08:22 AM) and why take the time to update IOS when you can simply run a system update? you're just adding unnecessary maintenance
Because the update is dangerous if nothing else.
QUOTE said:
Having bricked a wii updating it officially to 4.3 (froze half-way through, then no longer booted), I agree with this. It, and the fact bannerbomb didn't work were the reasons I didn't recommend updating. As of 4.6.1, Modmii doesn't support LetterBomb, so if he'd updated, it'd recommend he buy a game.
This has come a long way since then. You can now install any Custom System Menu; ranging from 3.2-4.3 u/k/e/jp; set the version number to max(65535) and also set the IOS it will use to load up; all using WiiMod2.8.

Official Updates will not effect erase mods, will not overwrite your Custom System Menu, it's simplicity. I've been a little lazy but i'm going to try and install a d2x cIOS set version number to max(65535) and see if it effects any homebrew; cause the only thing I have to fix is IOS249 always getting stubbed; everything else is in tact.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
kylster said:
This has come a long way since then. You can now install any Custom System Menu; ranging from 3.2-4.3 u/k/e/jp; set the version number to max(65535) and also set the IOS it will use to load up; all using WiiMod2.8.We are talking about doing a regular update to 4.3.

QUOTE(kylster @ Aug 13 2011, 08:26 PM) i'm going to try and install a d2x cIOS set version number to max(65535) and see if it effects any homebrew; cause the only thing I have to fix is IOS249 always getting stubbed; everything else is in tact.
The only change is that SysCheck and USB loaders will no longer be able to detect the version and base of the cIOS. It's the same if you max out hermes v4. You can still use the cIOS without problems.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
scooby74029 said:
@ cyan

i think the only one out there is the one you have and it wont work on4.x menu's

if there is source code for the one you have ill take a shot at making it compatible with 4.x menu's

There was never source released for marcan's Menu Loader, but Raven released an open source clone: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Menu_Loader_Clone

There is also Banana Hacks or something like that, as well as GiantPune's crudely named tool.

Pune's tool may work with LetterBomb, seeing as it is an SM exploit, so SM permissions may be kept, which is what made that tool work in the first place. Menu Loader and Menu Loader Clone relied on ES_DiVerify() to get those same (or similar at least) permissions, and that has been blocked in all recent revisions of IOS. Banana Hacks (or whatever it was called) required a cIOS with ES_DiVerify() patch to work. Unless you happen to have some IOS exploit you haven't released which allows you to identify as SM, the only hope of this working is if SM permissions are kept by LetterBomb.

Marlonguppy

Trophies
Website
artoftrolling.memebase.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Works great for me on an untouched/unhacked black EU Prototype Wii w/4.3E.
No problems with homebrew, and everything is working really smooth and fine.
Well, I'm so lucky I didn't buy a game specially for modding the Wii.
*/ Warning: offtopicness ahead /*
Also, the CD tray is always glowing red instead of blue, but that is normal(it was there before the mod, not after it). Don't know why though, but it isn't a used good or unmodified... maybe because it is a prototype or something. But I know it's a unique Wii, so I just keep it as a normal one (so, not selling yet).
*/ end of offtopicness/*
I'm very happy with the mod, now I can play my GBA games :3!

hvckz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mchief298 said:
Need to find a way to get my wii back from my brother...

send him a letter bomb...
yaywii.gif

pjmorie

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all looking for some advice on soft-modding a Wii on 4.3E that I just bought second hand. I don't know very much about soft-modding and the only Wii I ever modded belonged to a family member (was already hacked) which was on system menu 3.2. I was able to use the ModMii program to update this to 4.1 and keep it hacked at the same time with the help of the good people on this site.
On the top of page 4 of this thread a user (manvslife12) says 'Use this Wii Exploit! LetterBomb and ModMii'. Does this mean that I should use ModMii to generate the files for a 4.3E mod but instead of using one of the games mentioned to install the HBC and Bootmii (step 1 in the generated guide) I use LetterBomb and once that's finished just continue on from step 2 (making a NAND backup) of the generated ModMii guide?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
pjmorie said:
Hi all looking for some advice on soft-modding a Wii on 4.3E that I just bought second hand. I don't know very much about soft-modding and the only Wii I ever modded belonged to a family member (was already hacked) which was on system menu 3.2. I was able to use the ModMii program to update this to 4.1 and keep it hacked at the same time with the help of the good people on this site.
On the top of page 4 of this thread a user (manvslife12) says 'Use this Wii Exploit! LetterBomb and ModMii'. Does this mean that I should use ModMii to generate the files for a 4.3E mod but instead of using one of the games mentioned to install the HBC and Bootmii (step 1 in the generated guide) I use LetterBomb and once that's finished just continue on from step 2 (making a NAND backup) of the generated ModMii guide?
yes

pjmorie

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank's XFlak, I've an external HD and SD card in the post for use with the mod so hopefully they'll arive soon.

haani

Trophies
XP
Country
burritoboy9984 said:
Old8oy said:
techboy said:
haani said:
is it safe to update softmoded 4.2E to 4.3 and then softmode 4.3?
There's no point in updating to 4.3 (it was just an anti-piracy attempt by Nintendo).

Easiest way to mod your wii is to use ModMii (it's in the forum's stickies).

QUOTE(tueidj @ Aug 9 2011, 11:58 PM)
4.2 fixed a long standing bug(/exploit) in the way some IOSes handled a particular key, which is used for DLC titles (among other things).
4.3 included improvements to the wifi driver in all IOSes, as well as introducing IOS58.
The only thing 4.3 blocked was bannerbomb - which means nothing now this is available.

But again, there is no reason to update to SYSTEM MENU 4.3. You can update the IOS's to 4.3's IOS's and have the same benefits.

-Erik

how do you update the iso's?

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
pjmorie said:
yes

So how would i do this? I use Modmii to make the files, do i just transfer them to the root of the SD card a long with Letterbomb files that i unzip? I have a 4.3U Wii instead of a E one. For reference i will be using a USB Loader for my games.

onenessboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi xflak,

Extraordinary effort.. thanks first..

I have one small doubt..

I have downloaded all 'copy to sd' via your modmii for windows program..

Now i got ready to install via letter bomb exploit .

Now my questions is when i clicked letterbom it shows me two options

1. Install Homebrew
2 Boot mii..

Now I installed homebrew....

whehter i need to install that boot mii or should i just i jump to 2nd step (MAKING NAND BACKUP) of generated guide (modmii) ?

Please confirm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk