Gaming Internet and Download - Does anyone remember that ?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There's actually a command you could use to silence that horrific (yet nostalgic to some) screech of a dial-up modem.
It would still make the initial dialing sound, but it would be silent after that.
your telling me this now?!! :wtf:

i was never ever able to connect to the full 56k i don't think anyone was :P

i started with a 28.8 modem though used to play net-storm online with it. yep online MP with a 28.8 modem!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is everyone off the phone? I want to get online!”:lol:
someone tries to call your house.......CLICK!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i remember. I think it was 1993-1994 when we first had internet at our house and i was only allowed to use it 30 minutes a day because it was do damn expensive back then. Usually just used it for Cheatcc to get some cheats for my games. Ha the good old days :D

Were they charging by the minute? Or per MB used?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep i remember them days. my first internet caple computer was a packard bell pentium 75. rocked a 14.4 modem. still have that pc and it still works. napster is still installed on it.
Also i still have all my e-mails i have ever received from my main isp mail account. first one was a bill from the isp i had in 1996. I used an email client called eudora for my mail and i used it up until the email encryption was not supported so i moved all those mails to thunderbird. thunderbird had an import feature that supported eudora lol.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was usually a MB limit per month. when they bought unlimited MB plans out...and it BLEW OUR MINDS!!

Ofcourse by mb used. But i wasn't allowed to download back then. And being on a website itself meant downloading data by itself hence why the 30 min limit my parents had put on it back then

Must have been different than in the US. I'm 47 and not a single dial-up service I ever had, had any data caps. At least not anywhere I ever lived in the US. Perhaps other areas here had data caps. I don't know.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would still make the initial dialing sound, but it would be silent after that.

The problem with that is it did nothing to help you if you had a connection issue--you could actually hear it taking longer if it was having to renegotiate to a slower speed, you got one of the bad lines, it kept getting a busy signal, etc.

"get off the internet! I'm expecting a phone call!"

Later models started allowing you to specify a noise parameter to disconnect if you had call waiting, so

i was never ever able to connect to the full 56k i don't think anyone was :P

IIRC, at least in the US there was a limit of 53k imposed on the phone lines for some technical reasons (power or something?).

The one big difference for me from the picture is I used a download manager because IE's built-in one didn't support pause/resume which obviously meant having to restart a lot of failed downloads from the beginning. :(

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah i remember. I think it was 1993-1994 when we first had internet at our house and i was only allowed to use it 30 minutes a day because it was do damn expensive back then. Usually just used it for Cheatcc to get some cheats for my games. Ha the good old days :D
Lucky, I only got to use it 10 min every now and then. Whereas my mom used it for hours at a time to write emails.
I left it on without telling my mom so I could download stuff, but usually I relied on going to my grandparents and using their (way slower) dialup since they let me use it for hours.

I don't know if that was the norm here but my provider charged per minute IIRC. And that was of course on top of the existing call costs per minute, so it quickly got expensive.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

rusty shackleford

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember having to get a bunch of AOL discs just for the free trials. Then i later found a way to get free internet using other ISP providers by using the free trial to get an IP, create a dial up connection with the IP and number used in the dialer the ISP provided. I was able to get free dial up for years, but the trick wouldnt work with AOL.

yep i remember them days. my first internet caple computer was a packard bell pentium 75. rocked a 14.4 modem. still have that pc and it still works. napster is still installed on it.
Also i still have all my e-mails i have ever received from my main isp mail account. first one was a bill from the isp i had in 1996. I used an email client called eudora for my mail and i used it up until the email encryption was not supported so i moved all those mails to thunderbird. thunderbird had an import feature that supported eudora lol.
I work in IT and i had a customer call in because their Eudora would not work with our email server. This was a few months ago LOL.

Last edited by rusty shackleford,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I remember having to get a bunch of AOL discs just for the free trials. Then i later found a way to get free internet using other ISP providers by using the free trial to get an IP, create a dial up connection with the IP and number used in the dialer the ISP provided. I was able to get free dial up for years, but the trick wouldnt work with AOL.

I work in IT and i had a customer call in because their Eudora would not work with our email server. This was a few months ago LOL.
Can't really make sense of the trial thing, can you elaborate?

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
1996-1997 more or less with a 33600 modem.
Bbs too late because they were yet dying. Then I went with "free" internet(only web). Then "free" internet (paying phone obviously). I loved newsgroups.
I downloaded webs, mail, news offline a lot. Then upload answers, etc...
I didn't use irc. No offline mode XD-

rusty shackleford

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't really make sense of the trial thing, can you elaborate?
Back when dial up was a thing ISP's would offer free trials of so many hours or days. Those ISP's were AOL, Earthlink, Netzero, and a few others. You would often get CDs in the mail or pick one up where the free magazines were in shops. The CDs contained the ISP's software which was a dialer that would provide dial up internet access.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Back when dial up was a thing ISP's would offer free trials of so many hours or days. Those ISP's were AOL, Earthlink, Netzero, and a few others. You would often get CDs in the mail or pick one up where the free magazines were in shops. The CDs contained the ISP's software which was a dialer that would provide dial up internet access.
And why didn't that work with AOL?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guillotine