Gaming Internal 7200rpm HDD = 9x faster loading?

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
This is pretty cool, in FF13 takes me 42 seconds to load a level from disc and 21 seconds from USB, which makes sense since the PS3 can only read BD's at about 15MB/s and USB 2.0 is 30MB/s. So if I stuff a 90MB/s Scorpio Black in there it should load in about 7 seconds right? Is this the case for all games or what? Any bottlenecks on the hardware side?

Edit: That should be 6x faster. I fail at math

steve-p

Trophies
XP
Country
the internal would be faster,
fat32 is slow, even if it was the same model drive it should be faster just by using a different filesystem.

i see this all the time, i'm a Linux user.
i see the difference between "my" external drives formatted in Ext4 and drives friends bring that are formatted in Fat32 or NTFS pretty clearly.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good luck with your ps3. Just so you know, Sony will not cover the warranty/service plan if you have used a 7200 rpm harddrive. 7200 are known to fry the PS3's motherboard. They are 100% unsupported by sony/

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just buy an SSD be done with it, although it has been shown that there is little improvement for load times over a regular internal drive.

Edit: To the guy saying that fat32 is slow in linux... yes in Linux fat32 is slow.

The issue isn't the FAT32 file system, its what ever driver Linux uses to read or write to it
frown.gif
(sad face for the fact that other then a couple of issues I love Linux...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv