Hacking Installed Mario Golf: World Tour as .cia. Now the eShop is allowing me to download the whole game

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummm... okay?

Last night I installed Mario Golf: World Tour as a .cia file. It failed to boot properly, but at least it didn't freeze at the 3DS logo.

After upgrading to a new 32GB big SD card, I went to go redownload all of my everything from the eShop, and somehow, it is allowing me to download the Mario Golf: World Tour full game.

Whaaaa?

It's downloading as we speak.

-

It got to 99% and then stopped because of an error. There is a present bubble on my home screen, though, showing it as 99% completed. I clicked on it to Download Now, and it started over.

-

And it stopped. Error Code: 005-4272

Trying one more time. If this works, we wonders, precious. Aye, we wonders...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Your eShop purchases are logged server-side and tied to the system. The app merely detected that you have it installed and "re-downloaded" it, however it borked out in the verification stage. You can fully "download", or rather, verify what's already there, but you won't "buy" the game.

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I doubt it'll work, but that's interesting. Not sure why the last few steps of installation would be saved for "Checking if you actually own the damn thing". That would be pretty stupid on Nintendo's side.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. I thought perhaps I was one of the first people to run into this. Oh, well. It's not like I can't just install it using DevMenu.

For a scant moment there, though, I hoped.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised it even allowed me to download even a single byte of a game that I had not directly purchased through my eShop account. Never seen anything like this before.

Reactions: Huntereb

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I most certainly don't, but I know for a fact that eShop stuff is server-side, so you can't fool it system-side... :P

Yeah, I have tried some stuff on my own 3DS and I can say as well that the eShop knows when the tickets are only in your side.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm surprised it even allowed me to download even a single byte of a game that I had not directly purchased through my eShop account. Never seen anything like this before.
It's not like we haven't gone through an entire generation of downloading stuff from Nintendo servers illegitimately one IOS at a time or anything - they're not exactly kings of security. :P

Yeah, I have tried some stuff on my own 3DS and I can say as well that the eShop knows when the tickets are only in your side.
That's also how they manage deleting illigitimate content - they delete the ticket server-side. Remember the controversy after one of Nintendo's promotions when people downloaded more games then they were supposed to and the games disappeared from the system menu? ;)

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Title keys to decrypt contents from the CDN are encrypted and stored locally in ticket.db on NAND.

My guess that the Title Key is transferred during POS. Since you don't have it, it is unable to decrypt the files downloaded from the CDN when attempting to re-install the title.

Cjuub

Trophies
XP
Country
I kinda doubt Nintendo themselves are that stupid. :rolleyes:

That was actually the case with Wii, during the first days of WAD installing solutions, the wii shop only checked that the system had the ticket installed on the system and allowed any VC games installed as wad files to be downloaded from the shop. So yeah... Nintendo CAN be that stupid... :P

They patched it quickly though, and I doubt they'll make that mistake again.

Reactions: Huntereb

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That was actually the case with Wii, during the first days of WAD installing solutions, the wii shop only checked that the system had the ticket installed on the system and allowed any VC games installed as wad files to be downloaded from the shop. So yeah... Nintendo CAN be that stupid... :P

They patched it quickly though, and I doubt they'll make that mistake again.
I totally remember that happening, I was wondering why the concept sounds so familiar! :rofl2:

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Third attempt, and it failed again. So, looks like there won't be any full game downloads from the eShop by means of installing a game through the DevMenu.

Yet. After seeing the Wii ripped wide open like a fat kid tearing into a box of Twinkies, I have faith in our community.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol