ROM Hack IMPORTANT! My huge NDS Hacking project...

• Thread starter XabiPlayerPRO
  • Start date
  • Views 2,031
  • Replies 19
  • Likes 5
X

XabiPlayerPRO

OP
Hi!
I'm back at a new post telling you that I have decided to start developing a project. A very huge project. And, what's this project?
First of all, let's take a look at DevkitPro. For people who don't know about this library suite, it contains lots of C and C++ librarjes to create NDS games. The bad thing is that they are not very known, and there's where I had the idea of my project.
50bd24_924afd0445e44d698aab64fc8c5143c4-mv2.png

So, I present you Opuka project.
For those who program, you will know what Visual Studio is. My idea is to create a kind of Visual Studio IDE, just for making NDS files.
At the project's website you have more info: https://xabiplayerpro.wixsite.com/opukasuite/start
Thank you for reading this thread!

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
I'm back at a new post telling you that I have decided to start developing a project. A very huge project. And, what's this project?
First of all, let's take a look at DevkitPro. For people who don't know about this library suite, it contains lots of C and C++ librarjes to create NDS games. The bad thing is that they are not very known, and there's where I had the idea of my project.
View attachment 96974
So, I present you Opuka project.
For those who program, you will know what Visual Studio is. My idea is to create a kind of Visual Studio IDE, just for making NDS files.
At the project's website you have more info: https://xabiplayerpro.wixsite.com/opukasuite/start
Thank you for reading this thread!
Slightly unrelated but your website has some template things left on it. "Im a paragraph. Click me to edit my text" and a few other things. More on topic, im gonna learn to code and ive seen the visual studio interface and I can say this project has potential. Good luck!

X

XabiPlayerPRO

OP
Slightly unrelated but your website has some template things left on it. "Im a paragraph. Click me to edit my text" and a few other things. More on topic, im gonna learn to code and ive seen the visual studio interface and I can say this project has potential. Good luck!
Those template things are there because I'm just designing the website now, so there are things which aren't changed jet.
Also, my idea is to use Python as the programming language for the suite.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Despite the fact that the website tells almost no information about that project, I wonder if you know that modern IDEs such as Eclipse and Visual Studio have puglin systems. Maybe you should go with them instead of writing something new from ground up?

X

XabiPlayerPRO

OP
Despite the fact that the website tells almost no information about that project, I wonder if you know that modern IDEs such as Eclipse and Visual Studio have puglin systems. Maybe you should go with them instead of writing something new from ground up?
First of all, the reason why there is no much info about all of this is because I just have started this project.
The fact about the plugins is true, but I prefer to make my own IDE.

X

XabiPlayerPRO

OP
I decided to use Python to make easier for people to make games, but I could change it.

D

Deleted User

OP
also, making compilers/interpreters isnt as easy as you might think. and Im not talking about the interface part of things... in fact, im making right now an interpreter for a asm-like language and its already hard and I didnt even implement error detection, variable support and debugging tools like running step-by-step...

X

XabiPlayerPRO

OP
Yeah, that's why I'm doing this project. Also, do you think I should use Python, or other language instead (except C or C++), like C#, Java...

D

Deleted User

OP
Yeah, that's why I'm doing this project. Also, do you think I should use Python, or other language instead (except C or C++), like C#, Java...
I would recommend you to try any language before you even announce it, because it is pretty hard... but it s too late for that I guess
what language - it doesn't matter much, but try asm as it is pretty easy because any given line of code is one of the pre determined available options and you cant do stuff like:

print (x+sqrt(x-1)/4 - fib(pwr(n,2)+x) , 3*x)
//(fib is a user-defined function)

it was pseudo-code which is similar to all the lang's you mentioned (including c/++)
to run this you need to first check what to calculate first, not everything is with ()'s and thats not easy
then you have two in-most expressions, (x-1) and pwr(n,2) and you need to store the results in seperate parts of the memory to not cause problems
in worse cases you may have as many of those as the user wishes.... also, think about how hard would it be to debug this- to even find the mistake....

in asm and the similars you can have things like:

mov a,20

which means that the max complexity of a single line isnt much.... every line does just one thing, while the first example does like a milion things "at the same time"
in asm its easier to make a debugger and to check for syntex problems because there's only so much you can do when every command consists of it's name and a max of 2 arguments... just check the name of the command and arguments, see if any of the definitions of this command gets this type of arguments and if not- print "error in line ..." and thats pretty simple... much more then in high level langs

EDIT: as a rule of a thumb, the easier its to learn a lang- the harder it is to make a compiler/interpreter

also python is a lot harder then C and C++ (those are the 3 langs that I know best..) as you have things like:
1. functions that can get any type of parameters like print
2. two different standards - python 2.x vs 3.x and both have lots of supporters. 3.x would be easier to run as it is more structured (couldnt find a better word...) but it is still not so easy

and please, if you start such a big project, starting with the site design is like making a car and starting with the coloring....

start with a command- line program which gets a text file as an input with drag-n-drop. this will reduce the time between opening the program and the program starting to work, which is the time you spend on choosing the file to compile, which through conventional gui will take at least a few seconds, while drag-n-drop solution is both easy to make and fast to test- just drag and drop the file, or make a bat file which will do just that...

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
Good luck I hope you will be able to complete this project but you should at least have something to show before you announce your project
this. never say "I can" if you aren't sure you can. and if you think you can without even doing it once and without starting, then you even understand how big is this project of yours...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F