Hardware Im really disapointed with their wii atitude

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow Hitto, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed?
wink.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
oh by the way mine is always vertical but i never left it on stand by mode (cause im afraid it could damage my graphics with the heat it might generate...
Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds like "community feeling's" got nothing to do with this at all. It sounds like after hearing other people say theirs have broken you're worried that yours might be affected too, but want an official statement from Nintendo to put your mind at ease rather than leaving yours on standby to test it yourself. So you're not going to do the thing it takes to find out if your Wii is defective. That doesn't make sense, you've got nothing to lose because if it is then they'll replace it for free under warranty.

Leave the Wii on standby, and if the graphics card breaks then you know you've got a faulty one and can exchange it under warranty, rather than being stuck with a defective product.

s1r1u5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hitto sweatie had a bad day?!
Ireally would like to discuss this personally .
im going to lunch but ill reply to you in an hour. sorry for reading your reply this late ok?. see you in an hour...( really ) as i intend to answer you more in in detail

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
s1r1u5, you are very happy to be living today, in this day and age, and not, for example, 10 years ago. Even a few years back, LCD screen warranty allowed for a certain number of dead pixels on a screen. Anything under 10 on a 1024*768 screen was considered "normal"; nowadays you can return the DS for one dead pixel. AMD processor warranties didn't even cover overheating, it was considered the user's fault.

New electronics are complicated to make. There are technological problems, manufacturing problems, you name it.

When a chip is made, every series is tested. If one faulty chip is found in a test sample of a hundred chips, from a batch of a thousand, the whole batch is discarded.

But when the manufacturer is pressed for time, accepting one faulty chip out if a hundred is acceptable; better to have to replace (on average) one console in a thousand, then to lose a thousand chips and have to start again, and the deadline's been and gone.

Later on, they will have the comfort and luxury of being able to discard a whole batch of a thousand chips at a time upon finding a faulty one, just to be able to offer customers quality products, but right now, there's millions of people like you and me, who have to have a Wii right away. Well, this is one of the risks. I knew about it beforehand; you had to find out this way. At least we have the option to return it under warranty, so even if it breaks down, we will have had it and played it before and longer than everyone else. And isn't that what you wanted?

s1r1u5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well hitto after my lunch i decided to debate with you some stuff so here we go for it...

you wrote

"I am a consumer whore, like anyone who buys a product on launch day. To me, new Zelda > waiting until next bugfixed batch."

If you dont feel bad or cheated when you buy some piece of hardware as brand new (even taking that mighty risk) and the "whore thing"that you might be as you mention than ...
I come to have a different idea. I understand why it happens completely and the reasons behind it, but even like that it shouldnt be like this and if you were one of those unhappy early adopters i come to think that your opinion would be slightly different. But ok... that's my 2 cents...

you also wrote:

"You know, if you really need to place yourself on some sort of moral high ground, you don't need to type so many words. "

Oh swetie im sorry, really!!!
Do i have to post "OUT OF MORALITY STUFF" like this that you wrote?

Example 1: "I prefer to do charity work with homeless people than try and look good on the internet by pretending to care for people who own the same TOY as I do."

Example 2: "Ever considered doing something useful with all that compassion of yours? There may be hungry people in YOUR city right now who don't give a rat's arse about the Wii, 360, or PS3."

Oh i would also like to comment this :

"Imagine posting a complaint in the lines of : "Hey, when it rains, things get wet! What's up with that?"

Let me help you, as your example was really ilogical. By taking what you stated when you buy something you would like to use, so imagine my miserable example based on your huge thesis:

Wii = umbrella

then rain comes

then you get wet because the umbrella=wii has holes in it

you wrote also:

"Let the buyer beware", ever heard of that?"

When you buy something is it suposed to have a deception?

and still you wrote:

"I would have phoned the warranty service instead of playing attention whore and broadcasting every detail of my life on every forum I go to."

Sorry but you are the only whore here (and a cheap one honey!! as it seems nobody payed you today and need some attetion... seriously do i have to deal with your bad humor?...)

I would not go into details of my job but i come to think that i must help a lot more people than you (as i dont even have enough time to play my wii=umbrella to discover its holes) but you should be in my shoes to understand and i dont need to make any propaganda of it because i do believe that this is a scene forum and not a charity or poverty one... Like radiohead use to say (everythinging it's right place) but thank you to ilustrate us of your condition of charity helper as also consumer whore with bad humour.

Get your self a life.... Maybe you should stay as a charity helper since the whore in you isn't getting anywere.
Kind regards S1r1u5...

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Wii is almost never off at my house because someone is always playing it. I haven't had a single thing happen yet so I'm extremely happy with it.

s1r1u5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
s1r1u5, you are very happy to be living today, in this day and age, and not, for example, 10 years ago. Even a few years back, LCD screen warranty allowed for a certain number of dead pixels on a screen. Anything under 10 on a 124*768 screen was considered "normal"; nowadays you can return the DS for one dead pixel. AMD processor warranties didn't even cover overheating, it was considered the user's fault.

New electronics are complicated to make. There are technological problems, manufacturing problems, you name it.

When a chip is made, every series is tested. If one faulty chip is found in a test sample of a hundred chips, from a batch of a thousand, the whole batch is discarded.

But when the manufacturer is pressed for time, accepting one faulty chip out if a hundred is acceptable; better to have to replace (on average) one console in a thousand, then to lose a thousand chips and have to start again, and the deadline's been and gone.

Later on, they will have the comfort and luxury of being able to discard a whole batch of a thousand chips at a time upon finding a faulty one, just to be able to offer customers quality products, but right now, there's millions of people like you and me, who have to have a Wii right away. Well, this is one of the risks. I knew about it beforehand; you had to find out this way. At least we have the option to return it under warranty, so even if it breaks down, we will have had it and played it before and longer than everyone else. And isn't that what you wanted?

Hey veho long time no see (or read)

I would agree arguments over what really hapens out there but damn. I would rather prefer to have a good system than this actual crapy situation that i read a lot of bad input and i spent my money on that for a good one.
the idea of playing wii before and longer than everyone else doesnt excite as i would prefer a good system instead of a defective one so....
I guess this will be the last time i buy something soon like this...
"it's sad but in my opinion we early adoters are often like some sort of guinea pigs these companies"
But its a sad true what you said about the manufacturing process...
Greetings from the Plastic Lawyer guy.
yaynds.gif
grog.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I come to have a different idea. I understand why it happens completely and the reasons behind it, but even like that it shouldnt be like this
Why "shouldn't it be like this"? Developers can only test products on a small scale before releasing them to the public (due to cost, time involved, etc). Everyone knows that. What do you suggest as an alternative?

Your analogy misses a vital point: Wii = not just any umbrella, but the first umbrella ever made.

What are the chances that the first umbrella ever made didn't leak?

The inventors can only test it on a small scale before it's released to the public. So the umbrella (Wii) has been tested under a shower (laboratory conditions), and doesn't leak. They then release the umbrella (Wii) to the public. Then a monsoon (large scale usage) comes, and you get wet because in heavy rain there's a higher chance of holes developing than in the shower (lab), which they do.

Long story short: if you've got a problem with it then it's your own dumb fault for buying a launch product.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it is not his fault. you should be able to buy a launch console if you wish and it should be fully tested. They should release it later if they have not tested it properly. how can you justify its somebodys fault for buying a console computer companys should stop using launch consoles as beta testers. Im sure they can test in a larger scale with the multi billions of pounds they have.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it is not his fault. you should be able to buy a launch console if you wish and it should be fully tested. They should release it later if they have not tested it properly. how can you justify its somebodys fault for buying a console computer companys should stop using launch consoles as beta testers.

blink.gif
It's called company deadlines, imagine if the Wii never got released in time for Christmas, that would be far worse for Nintendo than 1 out of every 1000 consoles being defective. They can replace a few dead consoles, they can't replace a holiday season's worth of missed sales.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah but the post before is making out if your wiis broke its your fault why is that then. your paying the same money as everybody else. The machine should be perfect before release. Also nintendo should have noticed it overheats when using wii connect24 so they should have sorted the problem out.

s1r1u5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I come to have a different idea. I understand why it happens completely and the reasons behind it, but even like that it shouldnt be like this
Why "shouldn't it be like this"? Developers can only test products on a small scale before releasing them to the public (due to cost, time involved, etc). Everyone knows that. What do you suggest as an alternative?

Your analogy misses a vital point: Wii = not just any umbrella, but the first umbrella ever made.

What are the chances that the first umbrella ever made didn't leak?

The inventors can only test it on a small scale before it's released to the public. So the umbrella (Wii) has been tested under a shower (laboratory conditions), and doesn't leak. They then release the umbrella (Wii) to the public. Then a monsoon (large scale usage) comes, and you get wet because in heavy rain there's a higher chance of holes developing than in the shower (lab), which they do.

Long story short: if you've got a problem with it then it's your own dumb fault for buying a launch product.

In my opinion overheating is not tolerable as this umbrella is manufactured in large amounts and if you release something for the consumer maybe you should consider his or her early adoption (even to give a strong reputation to a brand as powerfull as nintendo) and not the oposite.
Besides why in the hell shouldnt i feel disapointed if i buy something new (and im excited to enjoy it) and it fails ???
Whats so wrong with trying to avail the extension of this problem between other consumers feedback? is this some sort of sin???
I come to think that most of the time we consumers are responsible for the way these companies treat us...
I understand new stuff out there could fail but i still dont understand if it happens why not to admit it openly....
I mean, we all here have no warranties that those crapppy black dots will not apear in our wii's screen images ...
Should we accept and tolerate that this faillure happens? I mean did'nt we pay enough for them to check the quality of the product ? we do we have to say amen to everything.
I start to think that sometimes a worried user can be considered an heretic, but almost every system i had before sooner or later i had to exchange in warranty so. It starts to anger me this kind of stuff.

comapro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for making this topic. I just starting seeing these dots on my display as well. I thought it was my LCD but then I noticed it only happens while using the Wii. I did some Googling and found a bunch of other people with this problem as well. Honestly I barely play my Wii too, but I do have it on standby 24/7. Oh well, guess I'll contact Nintendo later.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some Wii's overheat in WiiConnect24, not all. Mine gets warm, but far from overheats. It's not a universal issue, there are just some defective units, and these defects tend to cause a problem when the console is in standby WiiConnect24 mode. If you get a defective unit it's not the end of the world, Nintendo are happy to replace them under warranty, so what I said before still stands.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Besides why in the hell shouldnt i feel disapointed if i buy something new (and im excited to enjoy it) and it fails ???
Whats so wrong with trying to avail the extension of this problem between other consumers feedback? is this some sort of sin???

From what I understand, your Wii is fine. Therefore you have no reason to be disappointed, you're just scared because you read about some defective units. To use your (slightly crazy) analogy, that's like hearing someone else's umbrella is broken, then refusing to go outside.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I could see the point of this thread if Nintendo denied that a few consoles were faulty. Which is perfectly normal, btw... did you know that bearings are dimensioned with a 10% failure rate, for example? As long as they exchange faulty hardware, where's the problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: