• Views 14,796
  • Replies 129

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably but the argument was brought up back when DVDs were region locked and nothing came of that and its successors were also region locked.

Also re the buy another console from the region stuff -- so I have to buy what is hardware wise almost identical for a tiny software lock.... good show.

Gee, that's nice of them to make that the only legal solution around such anti-consumerist methods. Is it any wonder that people choose to pirate games and movies when such restrictions are imposed? Self-entitlement? Possibly. Videogames, movies, etc luxuries? Most definitely. Will it stop people from obtaining said media through illegal means? Not a chance in hell.

So instead of localizing the game, they should just not release it on that market at all? Great idea.

At least Nintendo doesn't sue you for importing their consoles from other countries.
Ah yes, I believe that would be called butt-hurt in Sony's case.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might actually argue Nintendo is not within their rights to do this-- nobody seems to pay too much attention to it but the WTO (of which the US, Japan, the UK, Australia and most of Europe (certainly the countries that usually see and make games for Nintendo consoles) has been part of for almost decades at this point) but they do have an agreement to not allow the restrictions of global trade.
I'm pretty sure that, if region locking was against the WTO agreements, then something would have been done by now. How long have Japanese DVDs been region locked?

Damnit, ninja'd again.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that, if region locking was against the WTO agreements, then something would have been done by now. How long have Japanese DVDs been region locked?

Ever since DVDs started being released in 1996 or so I would think. Region locking didn't stop me from ripping the image of the import from Japan and "accidentally" removing the DRM. It's a vain effort and won't stop people from bypassing the locks. :creep:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

As far as I am concerned Japanese DVDs were never region locked out for me (Europe and Japan are both in region 2). Also the DVD standard came about before the WTO really got going, given regions were a choice of the disc maker though (you can make region 0/region free) I am not sure what goes and technically PAL DVD was different to NTSC (PAL supported MP2 audio as well) so there might be something there. Amusingly though VCRs were made that supported both formats (they were technically different).

The WTO does not have the biggest fangs though and usually by the time something might happen everybody and their dog can obtain a region free player, hacks or workarounds to say nothing of the DVD players being able to be changed (you can change the region up to 5 times, after that you get to send it back a few times, or just flash a hacked firmware).

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I am concerned Japanese DVDs were never region locked out for me (Europe and Japan are both in region 2). Also the DVD standard came about before the WTO really got going, given regions were a choice of the disc maker though (you can make region 0/region free) I am not sure what goes and technically PAL DVD was different to NTSC (PAL supported MP2 audio as well) so there might be something there. Amusingly though VCRs were made that supported both formats (they were technically different).

The WTO does not have the biggest fangs though and usually by the time something might happen everybody and their dog can obtain a region free player, hacks or workarounds to say nothing of the DVD players being able to be changed (you can change the region up to 5 times, after that you get to send it back a few times, or just flash a hacked firmware).
Well then, let's tweet "@WTO Get Japan to end region locking! #EndRegionLocking #NintendoRegionFree#ThisWillTotallyWork"

D

Deleted User

OP
cultural acceptance and legal restrictions?
haha, I can sum that up in OP's sig
PNerLQy.png

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Region locking doesn't really affect me, because I can't think of any game (in English) that went to other countries but not America. My problem is more along the lines of Japanese companies not localizing awesome games.

you would change your tone if you had to live in the UK, we get games much later than anywhere else in the world, and we pay more for our games than anywhere else in the world, americans don't realize that because they are not affected by it.

a good example is scribblenauts unlimited, you got the game on nov 13 2012, we are still waiting for a release date but I doubt we will be getting one soon, if it wasn't for region locking I would have imported an American copy, just like I had to import nintendogs ds when that was delayed in the uk, and just like I had to import animal crossing gc from america because they took almost 2 years to come out in the uk.
If it wasn't for datel and their freeloader I would have never been able to play animal crossing gc, it's a shame they never released a freeloader for the wii u because stupid nintendo and their firmware updates would just block it.

Kinda hard to pirate games when the hacking scene constantly gets cock blocked by Nintendo and very little has actually been done to hack the 3DS anyway that is actually worth investing in.

yeah the age of the firmware updates that do nothing :( if current gen consoles never had firmware updates we would have all sorts like freeloader, modchips like the wii and prob even action replay, that is never going to happen again, which is sad really, I just hope the scene tries to remove the region locking from the wii u I'm getting fed up of playing the waiting game from nintendo, I mean come on why region lock a handheld console which you are supposed to take everywhere with you including travelling? original gameboy was region free, gba and original ds was region free, why change now? Nintendo obviously want more control of the software market (ie money)

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Here's to hoping that Nintendo will have a change of heart regarding region-locking. :D One can hope. Or in this case, all of us can hope for the best. Of course, the consumers think what's best for their favorite console. :)

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
If region locking is so vital, why didn't the DS lose sales?

The console itself may not have lost sales, but it's likely that game publishers in Europe lost sales from region locking. People would import games before they're released here, so games that were previously localised here like Etrian Odyssey likely lost sales since people wouldn't want to buy them twice, which lead to the second and third not being released here as a result. It could apply to first-party Nintendo games too, which explains their concern.

I don't have any evidence to support this;I'm suggesting why Nintendo might care about it, though. [/Devil's_advocate]

That said, I would like the region lock to be removed.

Reactions: ComeTurismO

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The console itself may not have lost sales, but it's likely that game publishers in Europe lost sales from region locking. People would import games before they're released here, so games that were previously localised here like Etrian Odyssey likely lost sales since people wouldn't want to buy them twice, which lead to the second and third not being released here as a result. It could apply to first-party Nintendo games too, which explains their concern.

I don't have any evidence to support this;I'm suggesting why Nintendo might care about it, though. [/Devil's_advocate]

That said, I would like the region lock to be removed.

Nintendo removing region locking is just as likely as Apple making PS4 games; I just don't see it happening outside of hackers doing it. In fact, I'm counting on hackers.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo removing region locking is just as likely as Apple making PS4 games; I just don't see it happening outside of hackers doing it. In fact, I'm counting on hackers.

You're counting on hackers breaking into Apple's servers and fraudulently developing and publishing PS4 games from within Apple's network? Sounds like a long shot to me, but you keep those fingers crossed.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're counting on hackers breaking into Apple's servers and fraudulently developing and publishing PS4 games from within Apple's network? Sounds like a long shot to me, but you keep those fingers crossed.

Uh, no that's not was I was saying. I was making an example. I meant to say that Nintendo removing region locks is just as likely as Apple announcing they'd work for Sony.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not like they forbid you to just buy a second console. I mean, if you wanna go through all the trouble and cost of imports, you might as well cash out those loose few extra dollars.

I also don't believe in Microsoft not using any drm or region lock until I've seen it. I kinda feel like this generation will just get those as updates after a year or something.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not like they forbid you to just buy a second console. I mean, if you wanna go through all the trouble and cost of imports, you might as well cash out those loose few extra dollars.

I also don't believe in Microsoft not using any drm or region lock until I've seen it. I kinda feel like this generation will just get those as updates after a year or something.

But no one should have to scrounge up money to buy a new console just to play a few Japanese or other games that never get released. Most of the time, region locking is controlled via firmware (such as with the Wii, all that was needed was a way to bypass the check through a software hack).

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Bullshit. The reasons behind region locking are solely due to business issues. Dealing with different age restrictions and stuff are business issues. Nintendo just doesn't want to take the time to deal with it, which is just sad.

If Sony and Microsoft can make their consoles region free and deal with the overhead, why can't Nintendo?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol