If you can introduce somebody to anime what would you show him/her?

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Bleach is terrible. You're not missing much.

The first season was alright, but it went very quickly downhill from there.
Oh please, Its better than Naruto and One Piece, Im at 346, and still enjoy it, the problem is the fact that there is to much filler, the episode where he lost his shinigami powers was epic.
[yt]Q32S8aalwfU[/yt]
Yeah, Bleach has too much filler, but I also think some of the fights were way too long and weren't that great. In the anime they make this even worse by repeating part of the fight of the previous episode in the next episode, especially in the saving Orihime arc.

Soul Society arc was really good though. Much better than Naruto. The only problem with Bleach is that there doesn't really seem to be a main event the story is going towards.

Reactions: 1 person

jing90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
I reccomend to start watching anime at the turn of a new season, because then you can look at the list of the ones that start and choose the one that suits you, anime is about what you like, and everyone has different tastes.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
I can't recommend any OVAs or anything. But I got my friend hooked on Tora Dora. Me and my friend were over at the friend in question's house. We tried before to get him into anime but it never really worked. Angel Beats, Death Note, and numerous others, but he never got into them. Then I put on Tora Dora, and we watched 5 episodes there. Apparently when we left he watched the rest of the series.

Respect the Ridiculous DRomCom.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Haven't really watched many series and lost interest sometime around when I grew up. :ha: No but seriously I lost interest in anime, and I became more manga-oriented (not a huge manga otaku though) but there are still some anime I enjoy a whole lot, all of which have been recommended already.

Death Note and Code Geass obviously come to mind, two of the best series with great plot depth, it's pretty good for anyone who likes good plots with some smart twists. I somehow like the anime of DN better than the manga.

Giant robots is always cool, especially for people who are really into that kind of stuff. Gurren Lagann would be a good start, pretty absurd but pretty awesome. Then there's Gundam, the original series was pretty good though a little bland, Zeta is personally my favourite, but it'd make more sense if you watch the original series first.

And of course Spirited Away.

I personally don't see a the difference between an anime and a normal TV series or a movie, it's just a different graphic style, the plot and the concept are the most important underlying factors, so I would just recommend someone a good anime like I would recommend them a good movie.

If you people consider cartoons as anime, then Futurama, it beats most anime or TV series, funny and smart. As hell.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Since I lean towards movies more than the series, I'll have to say Ponyo. It's short, simplistic, fun and easily accessible. It doesn't have the incredible depth of Spirited Away, or the complexity of Howl's Moving Castle, but it did get my friend to ease into anime a lot. If that person's older, than Mononoke or Spirited Away. If he/she's somewhere in the thirties, then Grave of Fireflies or Akira. I actually got my history teacher to watch Grave of Fireflies; that was the first anime of any sort that she's watched and she absolutely loved it.

JonnyPoots

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on the individual I'm exposing anime to, there are five shows that I believe showcase some key qualities of anime.
Dragon Half - for being silly and full of anime quintessentialities (plus it's incomplete)
009-1 &
Lupin III - both for their specific art styles
FLCL - for insanity
Cat Soup - to show that anime can have heart

DarkraiHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I'd probably tell him/her to start with Soul Eater. After he absorbs all that insanity, I'll expose him to the enchanting tale of Edward Elric as he tries to get his and his brother's bodies back (FMA). Then I'll give him a taste of some hard-core violence with "The Breaker". Followed by a huge list of shounen. :x

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Can i just ask a question? I've not seen a massive amount of Anime, maybe 8 or 9 things (as in full series), but i based all my viewing from Recommendations so it's generally been good. However...

In what way is FLCL so amazing? It was ok...but i can't see myself being that compelled to ever want to see it again. And Lucky Star....i'm forcing my way through this as i'm really clueless about what to watch next. I've seen 14 episodes so far, and aside from about 3 minutes per episode it's mostly pointless and random. It's not even that funny when it's being entertaining, and i'm finding myself wishing it'd end. I know i don't get all of the in jokes but i've seen a few of those shows referenced and it's still not that funny...

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Can i just ask a question? I've not seen a massive amount of Anime, maybe 8 or 9 things (as in full series), but i based all my viewing from Recommendations so it's generally been good. However...

In what way is FLCL so amazing? It was ok...but i can't see myself being that compelled to ever want to see it again. And Lucky Star....i'm forcing my way through this as i'm really clueless about what to watch next. I've seen 14 episodes so far, and aside from about 3 minutes per episode it's mostly pointless and random. It's not even that funny when it's being entertaining, and i'm finding myself wishing it'd end. I know i don't get all of the in jokes but i've seen a few of those shows referenced and it's still not that funny...
I wonder that myself sometimes. I guess it because of the insane amount of ways the story can be interpreted, allowing you to watch it numerous times or something.
As for Lucky Star...well, I haven't watched it so I can't say anything, all the peeps I know tend to disregard it as lame and stuff though, matter of taste in my eyes, don't force yourself to watch it if you don't enjoy it.
If you want, you can ask for more recommendations from anyone, I am willing to help if you want :V Though since you have already watched a few anime, I won't give you rec's based of what genres you like, that I believe is best done when someone is completely new to anime :V Plus broadening one's horizons is always fun~

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I often go blindly, trying a series or an OVA/movie which doesn't seems popular, and sometime I find good one.
I like short series and movies, as they are often better than long running series.

Yesterday I watched Gyo as a randomly picked OVA, and I have to say it was disturbing. A horror apocalyptic story, not bad but different than the usual themes.

If you want to discover new anime or new genres and are not afraid of watching bad things or wasting your time, just try random picking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3