If Nintendo decided to make their own "Xbox LIVE/PS Plus" service would you pay for it?

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goods =/= Services. On the same token I could argue that I shouldn't pay for Internet access if I already paid for my PC. Then again, games aren't even goods, they're merely licensed property. ;)
But all it's doing is connecting to a server, we're already paying for internet so I see no reason why it should cost money to connect to a server owned by a multi-million dollar company. I'm not paying to connect to gbatemp.net or wikipedia.com. Sure there are ads on most websites, but that's their only source of revenue, unlike MS/other game company which already got $500 (or $70 in the case of a game) from my *theoretical* purchase of an XBox/PS/game, (never mind the fact that I'm willing to bet that some companies pay MS/Sony to have their games featured on the front of the store). If I buy a Mac, I don't need to pay Apple to access the mac store.

I'm not trying to say that goods==services but in this case the service should come with the good like it has previously.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But all it's doing is connecting to a server, we're already paying for internet so I see no reason why it should cost money to connect to a server owned by a multi-million dollar company. I'm not paying to connect to gbatemp.net or wikipedia.com. Sure there are ads on most websites, but that's their only source of revenue, unlike MS/other game company which already got $500 (or $70 in the case of a game) from my *theoretical* purchase of an XBox/PS/game, (never mind the fact that I'm willing to bet that some companies pay MS/Sony to have their games featured on the front of the store). If I buy a Mac, I don't need to pay Apple to access the mac store.

I'm not trying to say that goods==services but in this case the service should come with the good like it has previously.
Previously games mostly relied on TCP/IP connections between individual peers, not a centralized network, and without ads there is no source of revenue here, just a massive expense, hence the subscription fees.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be quite interested in seeing a PSN Lite or an XBL Lite powered exclusively by ads and providing baseline functionality, meaning multiplayer. It's an interesting concept that Microsoft dabbled with in the past, but I don't think they did it "right". I feel it would be an interesting alternative to paying subscription fees.
Me to but the question is can ad revenue support the cost of servers plus make a decent profit? I'm not sure personally but I can say it would be a cool concept but seemingly how people pay for it willingly I'm not sure it would be worth it

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Me to but the question is can ad revenue support the cost of servers plus make a decent profit? I'm not sure personally but I can say it would be a cool concept but seemingly how people pay for it willingly I'm not sure it would be worth it
Here I bring forward the example of YouTube. While it doesn't make any money for Google themselves, it does create enough revenue for content creators' paychecks. When it comes to a gaming network, there is no content creation involved - the content is already there, the ads would merely support your use of the network. I think it's a pretty sound setup in theory, it's the implementation that would be difficult - how do you create ad space when gaming? I suppose you could be shown ads in lobbies and in the console's OS, I suppose, similarly to how Amazon serves ads on their lower-end Kindles. Alternatively some games implemented real-time ads on in-game billboards, I believe one of the recent Rainbow Six games had that kind of a system.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here I bring forward the example of YouTube. While it doesn't make any money for Google themselves, it does create enough revenue for content creators. When it comes to a gaming network, there is no content creation involved - the content is already there, the ads would merely support your use of the network. I think it's a pretty sound setup, it's the implementation that would be difficult - how do you create the ad space? I suppose you could be shown ads in lobbies and in the console's OS, I suppose, similarly to how Amazon serves ads on their lower-end Kindles.
I assume that is a good setup for the companies but at the same time I would have to wonder who would fund the ads? I'm guessing the best way would be for them to target the market that plays said game and that would be smart.

I do think it probably isn't enough to pay for the servers and a good profit for the people at Microsoft and PSN but it would be a great way to make extra money but I really do like the idea of a lite service.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I assume that is a good setup for the companies but at the same time I would have to wonder who would fund the ads? I'm guessing the best way would be for them to target the market that plays said game and that would be smart.

I do think it probably isn't enough to pay for the servers and a good profit for the people at Microsoft and PSN but it would be a great way to make extra money but I really do like the idea of a lite service.
Game developers pay for ads on TV, why wouldn't they pay for ads on a console, ads that are shown directly to their target audience - gamers? It's as targeted as it gets, and the more precise you are with advertising, the more you can demand for it. I can see devs wanting to chip in if that kind of a service was available.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game developers pay for ads on TV, why wouldn't they pay for ads on a console, ads that are shown directly to their target audience - gamers? It's as targeted as it gets, and the more precise you are with advertising, the more you can demand for it. I can see devs wanting to chip in if that kind of a service was available.
Yeah it would be a great idea and it could be even better for FTP games on consoles and it could work very well as long as it is not overly invasive to the point where it hurts gameplay.
I mean it's a proven concept on mobile so it should work fine

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here I bring forward the example of YouTube. While it doesn't make any money for Google themselves, it does create enough revenue for content creators' paychecks. When it comes to a gaming network, there is no content creation involved - the content is already there, the ads would merely support your use of the network. I think it's a pretty sound setup in theory, it's the implementation that would be difficult - how do you create ad space when gaming? I suppose you could be shown ads in lobbies and in the console's OS, I suppose, similarly to how Amazon serves ads on their lower-end Kindles. Alternatively some games implemented real-time ads on in-game billboards, I believe one of the recent Rainbow Six games had that kind of a system.
I wouldn't mind if ads were in lobbies and in games (like billboards), especially since it can add a sort of realism in games like GTA. But I would object to it being in the OS home screen. But If it meant online gaming would be free then I would feel like I wasn't being forced into buying the XBlive/PS+ type service and I would be paying just for the bonuses.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wouldn't mind if ads were in lobbies and in games (like billboards), especially since it can add a sort of realism in games like GTA. But I would object to it being in the OS home screen. But If it meant online gaming would be free then I would feel like I wasn't being forced into buying the XBlive/PS+ type service and I would be paying just for the bonuses.
I do like the realism argument - games that are set in more-or-less contemporary times could somewhat benefit from this as long as it wasn't shoved in the player's face all the time. It's not like we don't see this kind of thing in other media - it's all over movies these days and hardly anyone bats an eye unless it's done in a completely outrageous fashion.

Reactions: Monado_III

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do like the realism argument - games that are set in more-or-less contemporary times could somewhat benefit from this as long as it wasn't shoved in the player's face all the time. It's not like we don't see this kind of thing in other media - it's all over movies these days and hardly anyone bats an eye unless it's done in a completely outrageous fashion.
Absolutely plus the brand could make the ad to where it matches the setting which would be neat

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus, no. Nintendo's online is already terrible, why would I want to pay for it? Hell, one of the biggest reasons I haven't bothered with either of the other two current gen consoles out is because of the complete bullshit that is paying for online. You know what's better than getting small discounts and free games in exchange for a monthly fee? Spending your money on shit you actually want.

NeoSupaMario

GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I don't even get Xbox Live or PSN because:
1) I already bought the expensive consoles and games
2) Said purchases wipe out money quickly
3) no money
4) no profit

Reactions: Monado_III

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But you have never payed for psn or xbla? If you haven't why not?

Mainly because I am an antisocial bastard that does not like online games and if I really cared then I would have had a shiny PC there and ready to go for free. Not to mention I tend to sport hacked devices and the "if you hack then you lose online" thing kind of stuck for me from earlier times.

D

Deleted User

It'd just be another reason not to get the latest Nintendo console honestly. None of the deals or discounts that would come with it would be worth anything, it'd be like "%30 off all Megaman titles!" for games that came out 20 years ago that I've already won on every console under the sun. I barely play my Wii U online as it is so making me pay is just going to be a hassle that I won't bother with. And I have no faith in paying for save storage in the cloud as what if I can't afford to purchase a months worth of Nintendo's service but I still want to play my vidya, I'd be screwed over. The free monthy games is the only nice part you wrote out but again the few games I would want I'd have already bought so the rest would just be a hassle that I could honestly pirate for a better experience.

But then again I don't like monthly subscription services in general so I'm biased. I'm glad Nintendo don't do any shitty monthly services for features that should be a given, it's all they've really got left at this point (apart from "muh ip's").

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn I think I cant