Hacking I want to block updates AND play online.

NathanPeterson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I've read a few different threads with different update blocker tools or changing the DNS. Is there one that will let me block future updates and play online?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can't block the Nintendo servers and not block the Nintendo servers at the same time
You can selectively block just the update servers.
I've read a few different threads with different update blocker tools or changing the DNS. Is there one that will let me block future updates and play online?
It's definitely possible. I'm not sure about the bare minimum blocks needed to block updates, but have seen some threads/posts about it, and you really only need to block a couple of addresses to prevent the Switch from downloading/checking for updates. AFAIK none of the DNS servers will do what you want, so you'll have to use OpenDNS to block it manually (not recommended, if your IP changes it stops blocking), or block it manually in your router (which obviously only works when you're at home, and not all routers will have that feature), or run a DNS server yourself, or set the DNS server to that of your PC, and edit the hosts file on your PC (also only works at home unless you bring a PC with you everywhere)

For the time being, I haven't blocked anything. There are no forced updates so I only have to remember to press "Start Software" when the popup appears when trying to play or resume a game. Even if I accidentally press Update, it'll ask me if I want to close whatever's running (assuming there's something running)
I only close software when I want to power off the Switch, and it doesn't prompt me for an update when I first start something after powering on the Switch, so it would be very hard to accidentally start the update. Except for right before powering off the Switch, and when powering it on after it's been off, I always have a game or something running, I see no reason to close the game if I'm just going to leave it in sleep mode.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have 2.0 and use this DNS: 173.255.238.217

System Updates: blocked
Game Updates: working
Online Gaming: working
eshop: working for a short time after console reboot

In system settings, there is shown, that a system update is available. However, if you try to download it, you get a connection error. So, the system update seems to be blocked properly.

Last edited by MSco,
Reactions: Tilde88

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq

In system settings, there is shown, that a system update is available. However, if you try to download it, you get a connection error. So, the system update seems to be blocked properly.
i'll try this, danke c:
i'll only need eshop again after i fetch some $ for Disgaea 5 C.

to know that we can block update and still play online sounds good.
but what if Mk8d needs to be updated? will the game itself update just fine normally without having it give some error since the system update is being blocked?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

There's a separate server that will block it from checking for updates at all. Tagaya I believe?
That also blocks it from checking for game updates, though. Not sure if there's a way to update games without that notification.

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Updating games works fine with this dns. In the home menu you have to move your cursor to the game and press +.

From here, you can download the game update manually. Do not confirm the automatic update notification. This is the notification for a system update. Curiously, this notification appears only when a game update is available.

After installing the game update manually from the menu, this notification disappears.

Last edited by MSco,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...