Hacking How would someone using a Wii Mini get around to playing smash mods such as Project M or SMB Universe?

WhateverHapoenedToShame

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The Wii Mini was recently hacked, and to use homebrew software you have to use the USB slot from what I understand. So, how would someone trying to play an SMB mod such as Project M and SMB Universe go around doing it? Since, from what I understand, they both need the SD slot to work?

RetraCarteR

Newcomer
Trophies
San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
XP
Country
United States
The Wii Mini was recently hacked, and to use homebrew software you have to use the USB slot from what I understand. So, how would someone trying to play an SMB mod such as Project M and SMB Universe go around doing it? Since, from what I understand, they both need the SD slot to work?
I mean, there's a hardware mod to add an SD card slot to the Wii Mini, but if you're not willing to go that route, you're kind of out of luck if you want to play anything that requires an SD card.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don’t know much about the Wii Mini, but you can patch an .iso copy of Brawl with Project M to create a Project M.iso that can be loaded from USB loaders using BrawlBuilder on PC (https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder). As for Smash Universe you will definitely need an SD card. I believe it has to be smaller than 32gb as well or else Brawl will ignore it entirely.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't remember exactly, but I once saw a video of someone installing a "hardware modification" to the Wii Mini.

I'll double check.

Edit: The video I can't remember was from someone talking in Spanish, but found this!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean, there's a hardware mod to add an SD card slot to the Wii Mini, but if you're not willing to go that route, you're kind of out of luck if you want to play anything that requires an SD card.
I want to add this → "Please be careful with such things."
========

One need $25 ( + shipping fee) and hands.dll.
↑↑↑
The modified System Menu of the Wii Mini has SD access removed – restoring full functionality requires soldering a WiFi chip as well (followed by replacing the Mini versions of the software with normal ones).
There have been all sorts of things: GC controller port 1 and 4 can be added. Component video out can be restored. Internal digital AV-signal to HDMI converter in Wii Mini.
Impressive, cool, can be done! But requires skill, time and money. Brilliant expression above → hands.dll

For the casual user not used to tinkering with hardware (and not willing to lose something due to a mistake) these impressive modifications aren't first choice. I surely wouldn't dare to try with my shaking hands. The casual user is better off buying an RVL-001, even if a certain problem can be solved by:
Don’t know much about the Wii Mini, but you can patch an .iso copy of Brawl with Project M to create a Project M.iso that can be loaded from USB loaders using BrawlBuilder on PC (https://github.com/mogzol/BrawlBuilder). As for Smash Universe you will definitely need an SD card. I believe it has to be smaller than 32gb as well or else Brawl will ignore it entirely.

Else some limitations always apply without heavy hardware tinkering (NAND restore with BootMii requires Konami Code). The composite only video on Wii Mini is the biggest flaw in my opinion – and enough for me to not consider actually using it despite finally open to homebrew thanks to Bluebomb. Nintendo really went beyond cheap when removing some stuff from the board to shave off 10 cents per unit in production.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it