Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

EDIT: The emuNAND Tool has been updated and now works again!

Since right now the emuNAND Tool doesn't work, I've come up with a workaround:

Programs you will need:
Both these programs are free.

PLEASE NOTE: Doing the following method will make a 1:1 copy of the source SD card and put it on the target SD card. It will transfer everything, not just emuNAND.

How to:
  1. Plug the source SD card into your PC, this is the card that you want to transfer emuNAND from.
  2. Run USB Image Tool
  3. Click on the SD card and then "Backup"
  4. Remove the source SD Card and replace it with the target SD Card.
  5. Click on the new SD card, locate the backup image and then "Restore"
  6. Run EaseUS Partition Master and click on "EaseUS Partition Master Free"
  7. Right click on the SD card's partition with data on it, it should be in between two Unallocated partitions and choose "Resize/Move Partition"
  8. Click on the MIDDLE PARTITION, the one that has the data on it and expand it TO THE RIGHT (VERY IMPORTANT)
  9. Click OK
  10. Click Apply on the top left, then OK
  11. Done!
Important Information:
Currently with Gateway 3.1.0 there's a (visual?)bug with higher capacity microSD cards. When running emuNAND it doesn't show the "GW3D" in settings, before the version number telling you if you're in emuNAND or not, because of this its very risky to update emuNAND.
With my guide you can use a 4gb microSD card (where the visual bug doesn't happen) to format emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and transfer it onto a higher capacity microSD card.

Don't panic! - When the transfer is complete and you run the updated emuNAND on your new 3ds it still wont show the "GW3D" prefix before the version number. It'll just say 9.5.0-22E or something along those lines.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

dm00z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any way to actually reverse the process?
Since I'm planning on using the 64gb card on an n3ds.
Like if I just copy and paste the data from the 64 card on the 32 one will everything work fine or break horribly?
Copying and pasting data from your 64 card won't work, there is a hidden partition which the Emunand resides in. It won't be copied over. Instead, you can try K0nr4d's method, it should work fine.
@MrTurtle @NX.Pkmn2
I hope this can help you a little bit:
UXfFZic.png
Original Reddit Post

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently installing arm9 cfw on my new 3ds using a 4gb sd card. Is this the guide I will need to follow when I want to switch to my 64gb micro sd card and still maintain my custom firmware AND all save files?

Dannb1990

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fairlynew to this 3ds hack.. but ive upgraded my sd card from the orignal 4gb that comes with the n3ds to a 64gb sdxc, I've followed the steps on the thread but once i move the partition, windows doesnt reconise the sd card anymore the hidden emunand comes first in the partition programme and then the normal sd root second.. that seems to be the problem as such.. if anybody could it would be much appreciated! Thanks

tornadog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everything went smoothly but after the process Windows is seeing the emunand partition as the main one and asking me to format it. In partition master, the emunand partition has the letter and the actual 28gb partition has *. No idea what to do.

opmas

Trophies
XP
Country
I downloaded the USB tool image and for some reasons, it does not back up files. When I click on the save button, it does not do anythin. It just sits there. Any solution?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh I got it now :)

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everything went smoothly but after the process Windows is seeing the emunand partition as the main one and asking me to format it. In partition master, the emunand partition has the letter and the actual 28gb partition has *. No idea what to do.
Just give it a letter with diskpart. emuNAND doesn't need a letter, so get rid of that with
Code:
remove letter=whatever letter it was given
on the emuNAND volume, then
Code:
assign letter=letter you just removed
on the other volume.

opmas

Trophies
XP
Country
i tried to transfer it to 32gb from 4gb but the results shows I only have 998mb left on 32gb lol. What have I done wrong?

It just copy the whole 4gb to my new 32gb. Haha.

opmas

Trophies
XP
Country
How to get the correct capacity now? I want to restore it to 32gb and how can I do that now?

I was able to format it back using sdformater.

So how can I transfer it to my 32gb without copying just the 4gb capacity. I followed the steps where in you have to expand it to the right and hit apply.

Bratos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i Followed your guide exactly but i'm having an issue. i'm trying to move from the default 4GB sd card that came with my 2ds to a 32GB one. When i try to expand the partition, the program seems to make the top unallocated partition the primary and assigns it the drive letter that emunand was using. This makes the card unusable and windows asks me to format, also when i try to use it with the 2ds its unusable. Please help

Screenshot 2016-06-29 02.54.17.png

Last edited by Bratos,

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i Followed your guide exactly but i'm having an issue. i'm trying to move from the default 4GB sd card that came with my 2ds to a 32GB one. When i try to expand the partition, the program seems to make the top unallocated partition the primary and assigns it the drive letter that emunand was using. This makes the card unusable and windows asks me to format, also when i try to use it with the 2ds its unusable. Please help

View attachment 54563
Just remove the letter from emuNAND and assign it to the other volume.

Bratos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just remove the letter from emuNAND and assign it to the other volume.

I have tried that and i cannot change the drive letter. it seems to default to the unallocated partition by itself. Anyway i had to install reinand from scratch to get this to work, so I currently don't need to transfer to the larger card this way. In the future i hope i wont have such a hard time transferring to a larger card again. thanks for the help

dm00z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have tried that and i cannot change the drive letter. it seems to default to the unallocated partition by itself. Anyway i had to install reinand from scratch to get this to work, so I currently don't need to transfer to the larger card this way. In the future i hope i wont have such a hard time transferring to a larger card again. thanks for the help
Don't use EaseUS, use Paragon Partition Manager instead. It should work properly and not make your partition unreadable.

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't use EaseUS, use Paragon Partition Manager instead. It should work properly and not make your partition unreadable.
Or use a Windows port of dd and extend it in diskpart. No need to download some bloated partition manager for something as simple as moving stuff to a different SD card.

revilococo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[EDIT]
Disregard this.

Every time I expand the partition, my SD card becomes unreadable in the 3ds... If I don't expand the partition, everything's fine, but I am switching SD cards so I can have more space. I haven't seen a really clear answer on this, but I am aware this topic has been brought up. Using EaseUs 11.0... Thanks so much!

opmas

Trophies
XP
Country
I was only able to use this once. It is not working anymore. I was able to make it before but I am also doing the same thing and I cant make it work this time.

RandomKid150

Translator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to get this working with Luma3DS. I'm able to go through the process with no errors, but when I put it in the 3DS, it tells me it can't read the SD Card.

New 3DS XL, Luma3DS 9.2, Menuhax

Trying to transfer 16 GB to 32 GB Micro SD Card

Last edited by RandomKid150,

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't seem to get this working with Luma3DS. I'm able to go through the process with no errors, but when I put it in the 3DS, it tells me it can't read the SD Card.

New 3DS XL, Luma3DS 9.2, Menuhax

Trying to transfer 16 GB to 32 GB Micro SD Card
What instructions did you follow? If the instructions in the op didn't work, try using dd to copy everything to the new SD card, then resize the FAT partition to the right size.

Alex Huynh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ido what you ask, the gateway work, there's only one problem, my 32 gb card now only have 4 gb space, i cant import new CIA games, it said that i dont have space !!, the card is brand new, i only do what you ask, transfer the data from the 4GB old SD to the new 32GB one, the properties on PC show that it only have 2.6 GB free space, i was like WTF is going on ???@@@@@@

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit