Tutorial  Updated

How to sideload Chip8 Emulator on Xbox One

Disclaimer - As always I encourage you to only use backups of games you actually own in your library. I do not support piracy. Neither I or any member of gbatemp is responsible for your misuse of the emulation software.

chip8.png

Prerequesites - Xbox One (With Dev Mode Activated) More info here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/xbox-apps/devkit-activation
PC
Winrar or a similar program for extracting files

Things have been moving at a slow pace lately as I have been busy working on other projects for the Xbox One. For those who may not already be aware Chip8 was a virtual machine that was developed in the 1970's to play small games. Games like Space Invaders, Pong, Tetris, etc. Today I'm bringing you a Chip 8 Emulator for Xbox One. This is a port of Joey Andrews Chip8
https://github.com/JodyAndrews

Originally there was no support for the Xbox One gamepad but I added that in. I also fixed up the U.I. a bit so it looks better on Xbox One. I intend to improve on the original code by adding sound as well in a later version.

Getting started -

[1.] Download ProjectPegasus
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/releases/download/v1.0_stable/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe
68747470733a2f2f75706c6f61642e767374616e6365642e636f6d2f696d616765732f323031372f30392f32312f6d72342e706e67

[2.] Select "Chip8". Once downloaded use winrar or a similar program to extract the files

[3.] Go to your Xbox One console and restart it into developer mode

[4.] Click on settings and you will see a menu that looks like this

2hzsm4n.jpg

Apologies my phone isn't the best for taking pictures

Make sure and Tick the option that says "Enable Xbox Device Portal"
In addition you make sure "Require authentication to access Xbox Device Portal" is checked you will want to set up a username and a password.

[4.] Once finished go back to Dev Home and make note of your Xbox IP Address along with the port number listed at the bottom right corner it will look something like 192.168.37.8:11224 (Yours may be different) Open up your web browser and type in https:// followed by your IP and port number so for example https://192.168.37.8:11224alternatively you can also enter https://XboxOne:11224 for example. Once you log in you may receive a warning about the security certificate. Go ahead and proceed anyways.

[5.] You will now be greeted with a menu that looks like this
x1NTaoW.png

From Here it's rather simple just click Add and choose file

aAIvEra.png

You will then select the ilc.appx file that you extracted from the archive earlier.

Chip8 Has no required dependencies so you can go ahead and install.

Chip8 will now deploy and install onto your Xbox One

TaSPrW1.png

I can't directly link to it but Zophar Domain has a good selection of Chip8 Roms. Just google it

Demo (Space Invaders)

A Full Compatibility List can be found here. Thanks to Dominater01 for the list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qw1STttoVmTLXIyf5yoFOnGwdiNZ2RIdn0NtS2XA5tg/edit?usp=sharing

Note: Games must be loaded through a USB Stick or External HDD Device
Also If you trying to play Space Invaders pressing the b button will start it

Happy Gaming :yayone:

Update: I have released the source code for the Xbox One Port so anyone can recompile it or make changes to the software. It is now hosted on Github https://github.com/wiired24/Chip8_XboxOne/tree/master

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: Posterized

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not to be a jerk but i find it quite weird you put more priority in fixing this emulator but the psp emulator get shafted is it harder to fix or to much stuff on your plate?

@ElijahZAwesome @dominater01

It isn't "shafted". I already have a lot I am working on. Between CHIP 8, working with pcsx-r code and getting that code compiled into a DLL which is turning out to be a pain in the ass and working with Adam,Eliajah,David on the PSX-BOX project. First, I volunteer to do all of this on my own free time so if stuff is coming slow I'm sorry you guys have to understand I have life outside of this that involves a fiancee, I work a job, and I'm a college student going for a undergraduate degree. I have other things going on in my life that keep my time tied up. Secondly At least I'm even working on this at all. I'm not really required to do any of this. But I do it for you guys. The reason I had been working on CHIP 8 to begin with was to give you guys something in the meanwhile, while I'm waiting on Adam to finish up the PSXACT Library. So we can use it in PSX-BOX

And these projects for example the PPSSPP Port are Open Source the responsibility to make changes to a program like PPSSPP shouldn't rest on my shoulders alone especially when I have other things going on and everyone has access to the source code. Now As for PPSSPP I said I ported it to Xbox One loosely speaking as In I had to reconfigure, recompile and package it for Xbox One. I didn't have to make any changes to the source code no (Because I didn't need too) but I did have to get it actually running on the hardware and I consider that porting on some level. And that's the thing with porting sometimes it's as easy as just recompiling the source code for another platform and other times it involves lots of code changes, this case happened to be the former.

Take CHIP8 For example. This is a direct case of the latter. Sure there was already a working UWP Port that Jenny Andrews had done but that didn't mean it just magically ran on Xbox One. I had to implement the gamepad and rework the U.I. to get it to work for Xbox. And it's still a work in progress. Just because it's UWP doesn't mean it will just natively work.

Also I never claimed to have wrote the UWP Port Hygard did that. And he gets full credit for that. I mean wasn't it obvious enough when you cloned the repo and it said "Hygard"? If i caused any confusion I apologize. Perhaps the Devs at PPSSPP Will fix any issues but word around the street is UWP is not a big priority for alot of emu devs.

Last edited by wiired24,
Reactions: tunip3

Enovale

Hey. I exist. Woo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ElijahZAwesome @dominater01

It isn't "shafted". I already have a lot I am working on. Between CHIP 8, working with pcsx-r code and getting that code compiled into a DLL which is turning out to be a pain in the ass and working with Adam,Eliajah,David on the PSX-BOX project. First, I volunteer to do all of this on my own free time so if stuff is coming slow I'm sorry you guys have to understand I have life outside of this that involves a fiancee, I work a job, and I'm a college student going for a undergraduate degree. I have other things going on in my life that keep my time tied up. Secondly At least I'm even working on this at all. I'm not really required to do any of this. But I do it for you guys. The reason I had been working on CHIP 8 to begin with was to give you guys something in the meanwhile, while I'm waiting on Adam to finish up the PSXACT Library. So we can use it in PSX-BOX

And these projects for example the PPSSPP Port are Open Source the responsibility to make changes to a program like PPSSPP shouldn't rest on my shoulders alone especially when I have other things going on and everyone has access to the source code. Now As for PPSSPP I said I ported it to Xbox One loosely speaking as In I had to reconfigure, recompile and package it for Xbox One. I didn't have to make any changes to the source code no (Because I didn't need too) but I did have to get it actually running on the hardware and I consider that porting on some level. And that's the thing with porting sometimes it's as easy as just recompiling the source code for another platform and other times it involves lots of code changes, this case happened to be the former.

Take CHIP8 For example. This is a direct case of the latter. Sure there was already a working UWP Port that Jenny Andrews had done but that didn't mean it just magically ran on Xbox One. I had to implement the gamepad and rework the U.I. to get it to work for Xbox. And it's still a work in progress. Just because it's UWP doesn't mean it will just natively work.

Also I never claimed to have wrote the UWP Port Hygard did that. And he gets full credit for that. I mean wasn't it obvious enough when you cloned the repo and it said "Hygard"? If i caused any confusion I apologize. Perhaps the Devs at PPSSPP Will fix any issues but word around the street is UWP is not a big priority for alot of emu devs.
(In order of paragraph)
1: I know and the community and I really all the work you do for us out of your own free time :)
2: we were just talking about if you ported it completely because Im a dummy and I forgot if you ported it or not XD
3: Huh. I know that just being UWP doesn't make it magic but I figured it would be pretty easy if they already ported it, but idk I guess
4: See #2, that's what I thought but I guess dominator didn't know, also yeah it seems UWP isn't on the radar for most devs

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(In order of paragraph)
1: I know and the community and I really all the work you do for us out of your own free time :)
2: we were just talking about if you ported it completely because Im a dummy and I forgot if you ported it or not XD
3: Huh. I know that just being UWP doesn't make it magic but I figured it would be pretty easy if they already ported it, but idk I guess
4: See #2, that's what I thought but I guess dominator didn't know, also yeah it seems UWP isn't on the radar for most devs

In response to #1. I'd hope so :) .

In response to #2. Nah I didn't port it from Win32 to UWP Hygard did that I was just referring that I ported it to Xbox One as In i compiled it and got it to run on the Xbox One system. (Sometimes it's that easy, other times not so much just depends on how many devices the original developer wanted to support)

In response to #3 Yeah It's confusing. UWP Doesn't necesseraily work as some people think yes a UWP Application will technically run on all Windows Devices that's true but for certain platforms you will at times have to make changes to the code or implement things that are not already there for it to work correctly on said platform even though it's UWP.

In response to #4. Again apologies for any confusion there may have been. Hygard wrote the UWP Version of PPSSPP When i referenced "porting it" i just meant that I got it to run correctly on the Xbox One.

Last edited by wiired24,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill