Hacking How to install YsMenu/WoodR4 on R4i SDHC 3DS RTS?

thatmanfromspace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragging an R4.dat to the root of the SD shouldn't have done that. Did you install the correct multi cart update?

Nvm, i fixed it by running SD Card Formatter again. What i did is change my YsMenu to main boot by dragging it, and the original R4 kernel as a .nds file so i can launch it by YsMenu if i want, launched R4 with YsMenu, unplugged the cart after closing it by clicking the home button in my 3DS, and then connected it to my laptop, it didn't read it and the R4 said Menu? when i used it.

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvm, i fixed it by running SD Card Formatter again. What i did is change my YsMenu to main boot by dragging it, and the original R4 kernel as a .nds file so i can launch it by YsMenu if i want, launched R4 with YsMenu, unplugged the cart after closing it by clicking the home button in my 3DS, and then connected it to my laptop, it didn't read it and the R4 said Menu? when i used it.
Is it working now? Also, running the default R4i firmware as a .nds file is very unstable. I wouldn't recommend it, as I have done so before and it caused many issues. I would personally choose either one or the other...

thatmanfromspace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it working now? Also, running the default R4i firmware as a .nds file is very unstable. I wouldn't recommend it, as I have done so before and it caused many issues. I would personally choose either one or the other...
Yep, its working now, and sure. I will make YsMenu my main firmware now :D

Foxfries

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1) Download this
2) Backup the contents on your SD card
3) Delete everything on your SD card
4) Extract and put the contents of "R4i-SDHC YSMenu" on the root of your SD card
5) Profit

if you still have the file available, could you re-upload it somewhere? would be much appreciated!

Jvhellraiser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• YSMenu Primary Boot.7z
    142.9 KB · Views: 1,541
  • RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update v7.05.7z
    8.4 MB · Views: 1,709
Last edited by Jvhellraiser,
D

Deleted User

Old thread but cheers for the help, saves me from buying a bloody R4 card every year!

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The write protection error happens a whole lot on SD cards. Here is how I solve it in case it happens again.

Possible solutions:

*) Shutdown the computer, unplug the card adapter and boot the computer, then plug it again.

*) Plug the adapter in a different USB port. Yes that does work sometimes, I do not know why.

*) Backup the contents of the card and format it with fat32 format.

The 3DS hack Guide has a link to a Windows fat32 formating program if you have trouble because the SD card is too big or it doesn't work. On Linux Mint and Ubuntu I tend to use the USB formating tool, that usually works.

There is also SD formater 3.1 for Windows (Newer versions are crap) but that might not work on a Windows that's too new.

Last edited by raxadian,

StickPirate77

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No prob, just a quick note: YSMENU won't be able to play some games with your card (including Pokemon BW/BW2) for unknown reasons. But, it is immune to the date softlock programmed into those cards...
I believe its because the micro sd card has to have its allocation size set to 64kb, on 32kb those 2 games dont boot

Its also worth noting that in 3DS cfw its best to set the allocation to 64kb too so that themes work correctly and the virtual inject games dont have a messed up border

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
No prob, just a quick note: YSMENU won't be able to play some games with your card (including Pokemon BW/BW2) for unknown reasons. But, it is immune to the date softlock programmed into those cards...

There are fixed versions of those roms that actually work, not linking them for evident reasons.

And those games actually use bigger savefiles that YSmenu won't make by default but can be made using PKHex, just open and then save the savefiles with that program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back