Gaming how to improve ping?

nryn99

desu~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
well, i've got around 200, i wish that it could be lower. i just got internet @ home and in cafes they got just around 50 ping.

i don't know much about this stuff yet.

EDIT: okay, normally it's 200 but i just done a pingtest now and it shows this

someone explain packet loss to me?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Packet loss is packets that do not make it for whatever reason, I doubt there is much you can do about this (it might be your home network but it is considerably more likely to be your internet line) beyond fiddling with some internet settings (packet loss is not ideal but yours is not troubling yet and most settings tweaks for this sort of thing result in lower speed).

Reducing ping.... can not really be done* for standard applications (let us not start a TDP vs UDP or transmission checks debate as it is program choice) with changing your line or trying to use services closer to you/in the same ring if you can. The cafes probably have a dedicated or at least fairly high grade line (or might be found in a newer development area) compared to what I assume is your standard house line.

*you can improve your router and the like but it is the equivalent of sticking a gigabit line in as your home network and expecting your internet to speed up- it is not the home side of things that is the problem.

I am not so familiar with Philippines communications but around here there are things you can do like taking out the bellwire if it has not already been taken out (this assumes you are not using some form of cable rather than a phone line, mobile phone infrastructure or satellite).

Short version- you find yourself on one of the far parts of a series of interconnected islands half a world away from most services behind some already less than brilliant communications infrastructure. It is a case of take what you can get.

nryn99

desu~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
oh well, i guess i have to live with this.

btw i use a usb modem, using 3G/3.5G. and i'm already outside to avoid obstructions. I can't get a phone company to open a line for me, because they are promoting their wireless broadband.

nryn99

desu~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
CCNaru said:
100s are really good, though. you'll see significant lag when you have 500+, so I wouldn't worry too much. I have dial-up and I have 300ms ping, lol...

but in cafes, we gamers already complain when we reach 170 upwards. It really lags during Race Wars.

and Special Force(FPS, looks like Half Life: CS) they complain when having a ping of 100-120.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
3G communications (including 3.5, 3.7 and 3.9G) will have inherrantly high pings due to the nature of the connection. It downloads in chunks, rather than a steady stream.

4G should, in theory, be different. It's supposed to use 3G to negotiate the initial connection and WiFi to do the rest (hence WiFi broadband speeds on its wireless networks).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4