How the hell are you supposed to do anything online today without an active phone?

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like 3 months ago had my phone plan canceled without warning or reason. I very quickly realized how extremely reliant just about every account is on sms. It's gotten to the point where I can use maybe 10% of my accounts max. Havent had the money to get a new plan since then and it's quickly becoming apparent that you quite literally cannot do anything without. It's basically a requirement now.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I do most of my 2fa through an authenticatior app that generates codes, it's a small minority of sites/services for me that insist on using SMS. Still annoying.

Reactions: kite21

kite21

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Depending on your country you may want to look for alternative service providers. Something that's just enough to keep your phone working. Idk why some sites/services keep using SMS for security in the year of our lord 2023, blame the boomers.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While there are increasing amounts of things out there that want it, mobile phone especially, I don't know that it is a hard requirement as much as a heavily pushed concept.

Also no such things as pay as you go/prepaid around you?

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Also no such things as pay as you go/prepaid around you?
The old provider is probably still holding the phone number, and if the 2FA works via SMS you would need to have the same number, that means either paying the old provider, or waiting however long it takes the redemption period to end. Over here it's six months.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't most offer sms and email as an option??

I'm gonna guess if your using the Internet then your on a device with either at your disposal. And yeah... No pay as you go/sim only deals where you are?

Also gonna ask how a contract can be cancelled without warning or reason.... Sounds like they've breached your agreement or you weren't paying your bill!

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t have a phone and haven’t since 2020. I decided that I really only use my phone to get online. Verizon offered a “data only” plan on my area for $40/month. I jumped on it. It was only supposed to be for tablets and smart watches, but I convinced the rep that it should also work on an iPhone. It did.

Then I setup a VoIP number that lets me call and make texts. I can answer calls and texts on any device that lets me login to that service. Better than Apple’s iCloud service because I can answer texts in a web browser, on an Android, on a Windows PC…

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The old provider is probably still holding the phone number, and if the 2FA works via SMS you would need to have the same number, that means either paying the old provider, or waiting however long it takes the redemption period to end. Over here it's six months.
Your new provider can call and request your number be released from your old provider, for transfer to the new provider. I've done it several times. Just have to get to a brick n' mortar location so they can do it all on their end with their computers and phones. And it takes less than 20 mins most of the time. (I got lucky and got a number that ends with 00, like a business number. You bet your sweet ass I'm going to keep that bitch for life.)

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This exactly.
Post automatically merged:

I don’t have a phone and haven’t since 2020. I decided that I really only use my phone to get online. Verizon offered a “data only” plan on my area for $40/month. I jumped on it. It was only supposed to be for tablets and smart watches, but I convinced the rep that it should also work on an iPhone. It did.

Then I setup a VoIP number that lets me call and make texts. I can answer calls and texts on any device that lets me login to that service. Better than Apple’s iCloud service because I can answer texts in a web browser, on an Android, on a Windows PC…
See I tried a VoIP setup, but quite a few authenticators just deny use of it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Your new provider can call and request your number be released from your old provider, for transfer to the new provider. I've done it several times. Just have to get to a brick n' mortar location so they can do it all on their end with their computers and phones. And it takes less than 20 mins most of the time. (I got lucky and got a number that ends with 00, like a business number. You bet your sweet ass I'm going to keep that bitch for life.)
I hadn't thought of that. I know the old provider keeps the number for a redemption period as a courtesy to the previous owner to prevent randos from hijacking the number the minute the old owner forgets to pay a bill, but I didn't think about what they do if the actual previous owner waives the redemption period and requests the transfer.

Worth a shot.

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why do that when they make bogus accounts