How many of you still know how to use t9 predictive text?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to send a text for someone driving today and in the middle of fully punctuating the text message, like I do for all such communications, I saw the next word I wanted in the suggestions line. It was probably the first time I have ever done such a thing as I never learned to use the old t9 predictive text, not that I felt a need for a phone back then either.
It was at that point the question of whether people a) ever learned (android and IOS have been with us since 2007, and it is not like alternatives did not exist before then if you lived somewhere civilised, or you were suckered into blackberry's orbit) and b) still retain some knowledge.

If there was something other than t9 for your language but along the same lines (a means of using the standard 12 button keypad on a telephone to enter words) then I will accept it.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember using T9 on the LG VX8300 phone. I didn't use it very often though, preferred just hitting the same key multiple times. But I did use it a few times.

D

Deleted User

Well, it's not hard to use them, and if you've used them for even a couple of minutes it's easy to get the feel of it.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I still use it if I ever need to type on a phone that has a smaller display. A soft-keyboard with only 9 buttons has a lot less capacity for mis-types than a full qwerty keyboard.

monzamess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never learned T9. Seemed like a PITA to learn for the benefits offered. I did invest some time into Graffiti on the Palm way back when. Then I got a phone with a slide-out keyboard, which was OK, and now I use a glide (Swype-like) keyboard which is the best mobile typing method I've found so far. Not ready to make the leap to talking to my phone.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I still know how (and the symbols, shift, copy+paste on Symbian) but haven't done that in many years...

My mom uses a dumbphone-style keyboard on Android but without dictionary, she never really appreciated the writing aids :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1