How many languages do you speak?

How many languages do you speak/understand (adequately)?

• just one, native

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • two

• three

• four

• five or more!

• Total voters

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
All what SoraKeyofFate can speak, minus British and plus a bit of Spanish and Arabic.
Demonstration:
French: Je n'ai pas d'amis.
Arabic: Salam waleykoom
Spanish: Mi amigos es un hiro de puta
Quebec French: Calice de tabarnak, j'ai envi d'une osti de grosse poutine drette la, batard

Harumy

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just two
tongue.gif

Portuguese and English

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
pyrmon24 said:
All that SoulSnatcher can speak, minus British and plus a bit of Spanish and Arabic.
Demonstration:
Spanish: Mi amigo es un hijo de puta
Quebec French: Calice de tabarnak, j'ai envi d'une osti de grosse poutine drette la, batard
Fixed your first sentence and the Spanish bit.
I'm fluent in English and Spanish, I learned German for a year but I didn't really like it so I quit it. I'm currently learning Japanese and know a bit of Portuguese, French and Latin. I should get back to studying Latin... *stares at book from a distance*

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Fluent in:
English
Mandarin Chinese
Taiwanese Hokkien (dialect of Min Chinese)

Understand some of:
Canadian French
Cantonese Chinese

Know a bit of:
Japanese

And a very small chunk of:
Korean

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pyrmon24 said:
All what SoraKeyofFate can speak, minus British and plus a bit of Spanish and Arabic.
Demonstration:
Spanish: Mi amigos es un hiro de puta

Lmao.

"Je n'ai pas d'amis"
(For those of you who can't speak French it means "I have no friends")

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fluent in English, and with other languages it varies between quite good right down to read without understanding or just knowing a few words.

French
German
Russian
Swahili
Spanish
Italian
Turkish
Forgotten most of the Bengali I once knew.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am never quite sure how to answer this- Mr Abnocto provides a similar answer to what it actually sits at for me. I can do a decent version of "learn enough in 48 hours to annoy those that moved somewhere and are actually trying to learn the language" too- that seems to be a side effect of my not actually thinking in any one language or any at all for that matter (language is just a workable method by which to communicate a concept/idea).

To this end I personally find languages a bit like toys- great fun to mess around with and pull apart/compare to others/figure out what came before/where it came from/what was (ab)used to generate it and I will frequently seek to enhance skills that allow me to do that but when it comes down to it there is real work to be done leaving it to the for want of a better phrase lucky few that get to play all day. Such a statement with minor wording changes probably provides the basis for my thoughts on religion too (from what I have seen the developments of language owes/can blame religion for a lot of things).

On the flip side I also treat them a bit like disciplines in science and tech- you need not master it but it helps to know a bit about everything. On that subject- science and tech, if there ever was a universal language it would be that although as such things are ultimately a manifestation of physics that is not that surprising when I think about it.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose if we count languages I speak even one word of, then Japanese, Chinese, probably Urdu and Twi as well.

I'll update if any more come to mind.

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
English

Learned a bit of Spanish in school, forgotten the tiny bit of Italian and French I learned.

And I know a handful Japanese phrases and random words. Might go back to learning that along with whatever alphabet I was learning at the time.

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
English, French and Spanish.

I suppose Ulster-Scots too....but let's not get started on that ridiculous excuse for a language.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...