Hacking How long will it take to release 3DS flashcart?

Shinintendo

OP
Trophies
Website
games4gamer.net
XP
Country
Iceland
Guess away, How long do you think it will take for a flashcart to be released on the 3ds?
The time is getting nearer (around Christmas this year) and I'm thinking on buying a 3ds, anyone thinking on buying it day one as well?

I'm throwing 4 months till we see any short of cart development...

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it really depends on how fast the cart developers reach it. It's a powerful device, so it might take a month or two to crack it open. The DSi Flashcarts can't even use DSi Mode, so we're just stuck.

D

Deleted_171835

Half a year for them to find an exploit.
A year for them to release a flashcart.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
Pfft. It was released yesterday. I have it running off of my prototype DSi

I'm playing Super Mario Sunshine in fucking 3D

cna i hav won?

Also, I have to say a flash cart will come out a week or two after the Japanese release of the 3DS. I hope I'm right!

connor_walsh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the dsi never got hacked fully so Nintendo won't know were they've gone wrong/right so it might be similar to the dsi's protection.
well i guess 3 months for a minor hack 6 months for a full crack

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Has there really been that much motivation to crack DSi-mode, though? I mean, the thing is a redesign, not a new console... and there are still a ton more people that own either a Phat or Lite, compared to DSi owners. And finally, there've only been a couple DSi-exclusive cartridges (and are they even good games)... of the ones that are just DSi-enhanced, DSi flashcarts can play them in regular DS mode. So yeah, there'd be a small advantage in that you'd be able to play your DSi ware from the cart (maybe?)... but then you can already store all your DSi ware on a single unit without having to switch cartridges, can't you? What's the real advantage?

The 3DS, on the other hand, will be a completely next-generation handheld. There'll need to be new flashcarts if we want to play any games released from then on, period.

My guess is that first we may see 3DS flashcarts that are like the current DSi carts... they'll run on the 3DS, but only in regular DS mode (since the 3DS has backwards compatibility), and only allowing you to play DS games. Eventually, with any luck, DSi and 3DS mode will be cracked on the 3DS and allow us to play all games.

Uncle FEFL said:
I don't think there will be one. I think Nintendo will finally invest in their consoles and build them like PS3's. Practically unhackable. I'm very surprised we still don't have a DSi hack.

There can't be as much motivation to hack PS3s, though... even if you did, there wouldn't be much you could do about playing backed up games unless you owned a Blu-Ray burner. And as most pirates are cheap bastards, I don't think they'd want to splurge on one of those, or the cost of the blank discs.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
TM2-Megatron said:
There can't be as much motivation to hack PS3s, though... even if you did, there wouldn't be much you could do about playing backed up games unless you owned a Blu-Ray burner. And as most pirates are cheap bastards, I don't think they'd want to splurge on one of those, or the cost of the blank discs.

But the PS3 has a HDD which could be used somehow (probably) to boot games without a need to burn to Blu-Ray. It's just that as long as there is something that can be gained from owning a legit (factory FW, no modding) console there won't be that much interest in getting a working mod. Well that's what I would suspect
tongue.gif

The DSi has some interesting features that could eventually be used somehow (the extra SD card for example, extra RAM, etc). Imagine the you could just have the cart inside all the time and update via the SD card (thus saving the cart from excessive removal).

Well all is possible but I think it will take some time to get a working 3DS flashcart. just for the reason the DSi hasn't been made fully supported with a flashcart.

//Qtis

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In a few weeks we will get all the DS Mode flashcarts ported I bet like the Acekard 2i will become Acekard 3D but will only work in ds mode.
In a minimum of 2 years we will get some type of flashcart hopefully...

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Uncle FEFL said:
I don't think there will be one. I think Nintendo will finally invest in their consoles and build them like PS3's. Practically unhackable. I'm very surprised we still don't have a DSi hack.

I'm not talking about motivation issues (which does play a big part in hacking the PS3, I agree with you), but purely on hardware tricks and tweaks that Nintendo will probably put in. GTA Chinatown Wars should have done much better if it weren't for pirates, which means we may never see another GTA for any DS again. Which sucks, because that game was a masterpiece. What if Golden Sun DS sells so poorly (likely will not happen though, as many people have high respects for the developers, thus limited amount of pirating) that Camelot just stops making them?

Granted, I'm stating a bunch of "What if's," but these are likely things that can happen. I think Nintendo presidents and CEO's will finally stop being cheap and actually start putting supportable anti-piracy measures into their electronics. Bad news for extreme pirates (the ones who pirate every good game that comes out), but it'll be good news for the developers and the gaming community all together.

My basic point is that Nintendo is finally fed up with being easily pirated, and will put in some extra effort to make their games and systems virtually unhackable.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Before they even start to release a 3DS native flashcart, the games will have to be first dumped. It's all going to take time.

Also remember the 3DS will have updateable firmware. Currently Nintendo has their hands tied with how much they can do with the DSi because they can't update the DS Phat's/ Lite's firmware, the games have to run on both. This isn't going to be an issue with the 3DS.

Bottom line: if you want to pirate a 3DS, buy 2 at launch date and put one away untouched. Most exploits will be patched in time...

connor_walsh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a bit off-topic but how long did it take before you could pirate on the ds?
i would actually like to see the 3DS flashcart to take a while for development so games don't come out with the heavy AP straight away

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Uncle FEFL said:
My basic point is that Nintendo is finally fed up with being easily pirated, and will put in some extra effort to make their games and systems virtually unhackable.

Indeed a good point. On the other hand if people could buy games at prices that suit the game (c'mon all that shovelware on the DS @50€? seriously...). I'm happy to pay a bit over the 40 euros for the SS (play-asia (US version) but still 40€) I bought but that was because it had new features that normal games don't have. (Even though it sounds a bit retarded to be carrying a pokéwalker at the University, it has its purpose for the fact that I get to know how much I walk per day (on top of them pokemaaanz.))

Still all those weird regional games (yes I mean that they make diff languages for around 6 areas?) cost 50€ during release and are lowered to 20€ in a few months because no one is willing to pay that much for something that is made up in a hassle and is virtually unplayable. Why bother produce such a large amount of software that just isn't made to meet peoples expectations. I wish those people change to board games or something else since that might even work for some titles.

I really hope that Nintendo does make a good AP to the next gen consoles. Still I want to see a finished product that can be used for something else than just playing games. And for the love of god SUPPORT HOMEBREW. Well at least make it something like Apple's iPhone apps or similar (Nintendo approved apps?). It'd benefit the whole community rrrriight?

//Qtis

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Qtis said:
Uncle FEFL said:

Indeed a good point. On the other hand if people could buy games at prices that suit the game (c'mon all that shovelware on the DS @50€? seriously...). I'm happy to pay a bit over the 40 euros for the SS (play-asia (US version) but still 40€) I bought but that was because it had new features that normal games don't have. (Even though it sounds a bit retarded to be carrying a pokéwalker at the University, it has its purpose for the fact that I get to know how much I walk per day (on top of them pokemaaanz.))

Still all those weird regional games (yes I mean that they make diff languages for around 6 areas?) cost 50€ during release and are lowered to 20€ in a few months because no one is willing to pay that much for something that is made up in a hassle and is virtually unplayable. Why bother produce such a large amount of software that just isn't made to meet peoples expectations. I wish those people change to board games or something else since that might even work for some titles.

I really hope that Nintendo does make a good AP to the next gen consoles. Still I want to see a finished product that can be used for something else than just playing games. And for the love of god SUPPORT HOMEBREW. Well at least make it something like Apple's iPhone apps or similar (Nintendo approved apps?). It'd benefit the whole community rrrriight?

//Qtis
I agree completely. The US has some of the lowest prices around, but it still isn't cheap (especially in instances like mine). Too much shovelware is sold way too high. Mario Kart is still $34.99 USD (that's as high as they get here), which is way too high for such an old game (though very awesome).

We definitely aren't broke (I think...), but my mom can't afford my gaming needs, she has just enough to pay the bills. Again, there isn't a real reason to ever steal, but I can't go my whole teenage life playing only a few games. Which is the #1 reason why I want a job; help my mom by paying for my own stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F