Gaming How long should the battery last for a GBA SP AGS 101?

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I purchased a refurbished gba sp ags 101. not the original 001 with the dull no backlit screen. Its in good condition works well but I have a feeling he gave me a dud unit with a dud battery. Takes like 2hrs to charge but playing it with full volume and backlight on it lasts about 2hrs also. Checking youtube reviews some people say it should last 3-5hrs while others say 10-15hrs Im confused which is right? is the 15hr one for the model 001 with no backlight? or should the ags 101 last 15hrs and I need to replace the battery?

If so any good brands I should check out as ebay has alot of different brands out there, even saw a couple youtube vids saying to use the original DS battery which fits and holds more charge. Would appreciaite some help on getting the most juice out of my gameboy as I use it to get to work during commutes and dont want to charge every 2hrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased a refurbished gba sp ags 101. not the original 001 with the dull no backlit screen. Its in good condition works well but I have a feeling he gave me a dud unit with a dud battery. Takes like 2hrs to charge but playing it with full volume and backlight on it lasts about 2hrs also. Checking youtube reviews some people say it should last 3-5hrs while others say 10-15hrs Im confused which is right? is the 15hr one for the model 001 with no backlight? or should the ags 101 last 15hrs and I need to replace the battery?

If so any good brands I should check out as ebay has alot of different brands out there, even saw a couple youtube vids saying to use the original DS battery which fits and holds more charge. Would appreciaite some help on getting the most juice out of my gameboy as I use it to get to work during commutes and dont want to charge every 2hrs
The 10-15 hours figure may come from sleep mode or something.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you using a flash cart? Some of those are a bit thirsty.

Equally it has been many years now and might have had many charge cycles, or been left without charge for too long and suffered a bit.

I should also say there are many cheap power banks available these days.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
2 hours only? are you sure?
try with minimal brightness (how is the high bright not too bright for ya?)
and comfortable volume. still 2 hours seems very low...
mine lasts a really long time, enough for only need to charge it like once\twice a week

check wikipedia, it gives good estimates of times for consoles
this, if you are using real games, flashcarts can be power hungry in some ocasions

btw 2 or even more hours charging its normal...

try to play with him a while
my DS lite has a weird behavior, if i dont touch it for a very long time (weeks or a month), the battery only lasts like 1 hour for the next 3-4 charging cicles, if i continue to use it every day the battery lasts me a full day (by full day i mean like 5-6 hours or so)

Last edited by migles,

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nah no flash cart, I dont want to use a power bank that connects via cable to it, do want to use this handheld for portability its nice and compact just to place like it, happy to conenct a fatter battery pack if it makes it stick out abit or as rumoured if a DS charger is better to use or a battery pack that has more than 700 mahs of juice to hold

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On flash carts then are your games legit? Repro games often used flash carts as a base.

There is no particular reason a DS charger would be better to use -- charge management is handled inside the GBA SP rather than in the charger. It might turn out that one or the other was made better or something but there is no reason one should charge faster, charge such it protects the battery better or charges such that it lasts longer.

As for larger battery packs then if you can get one then by all means, the if part is a problem though -- even if you can find one then a) it may never have been what it claims (then and now the numbers on the back are just printing so can be a great work of fiction quite happily, and frequently are) and b) might have sat in storage for so long and not been topped up that its current status is not so hot.

" my DS lite has a weird behavior, if i dont touch it for a very long time (weeks or a month), the battery only lasts like 1 hour for the next 3-4 charging cicles, if i continue to use it every day the battery lasts me a full day (by full day i mean like 5-6 hours or so) "
That is not so weird, though it probably means the battery is on its last legs. Those initial charges might do whatever little bit of recovery it can do and letting it discharge down puts it back in a state where it has to recover again.

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No luck with battery still, I purchased an original DS battery from ebay for a few bucks but that battery was alot worse, lasted about 15mins before it died. Lucky he gave me a refund. Hard to find good condition batteries for these consoles

Pulled the trigger on the below battery waiting for delivery but doubt itll last that 10-15hrs everyone says it can do. cant find any others out there on ebay. can see a tomee battery but its more expensive so not sure if worth it and looks old so wondering if its lost a charge sitting there all those years

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Recharg...-screwdriver/202117728182?hash=item2f0f27c7b6

Drumaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dunno if you still need help but I was in the exact same situation: bought a refurbished AGS-101 GBA SP and the original battery from Nintendo only lasted 1h30 with an original game. Bought a new one (the same as your link above but in 850mAh capacity) and it lasted 3h....

Finally found a very good one, which was made very recently (the seller told me February 2018), because yeah it's the most important thing to consider (a battery made in 2003 won't last much for sure). This one now lasts something like 8 hours, quite good to me.

Here is the link (French vendor, sorry):
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Batterie-co...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited by Drumaster,

Archangel22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yep that is the one that I purchased also and the battery life is much much better. Not doing 10-15hrs as advertised I call BS on those Nintendo figures but getting about 5hours off a charge which is more than enough when travelling to and from. I charge it every 2nd day pretty much

Aliogeek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dunno if you still need help but I was in the exact same situation: bought a refurbished AGS-101 GBA SP and the original battery from Nintendo only lasted 1h30 with an original game. Bought a new one (the same as your link above but in 850mAh capacity) and it lasted 3h....

Finally found a very good one, which was made very recently (the seller told me February 2018), because yeah it's the most important thing to consider (a battery made in 2003 won't last much for sure). This one now lasts something like 8 hours, quite good to me.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Batterie-console-de-jeux-3-7V-900mAh/332474310842?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks for your recommendation, i've bought it and received it yesterday.

It's simply the best third party battery i've ever bought. I've tested it with my AGS-101 SP : MAXIMUM Brightness with EverDrive GBA running Sonic Advance 3 intro non stop. It lasted 9H05 =DDDD before shut down.

Last edited by Aliogeek,

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo themselves have this to say about battery life;
“On the brighter setting, the average battery life is approximately 7-10 hours (depending on the model of Game Boy Advance SP you have). Battery life can be extended when using the dimmer settings.”

That however is for the original, dim screen version of the GBA SP. The GBA SP AGS-101 doesn’t reach those figures, particularly if you’re running it at its brightest setting. Nor will you get anywhere remotely close to that of its an old battery. They lose capacity over the years even if they’re just sitting in the original packaging, unused.

As has been mentioned already, the best thing to do is buy a modern replacement battery. There are many to choose from, including ones with a higher capacity than the original GBA SP battery had.

The original GBA-SP AGS-003 battery was (is) 600mah. You can now get replacement batteries of at least 850mah, which is a nice little boost over the original and will easily get you to the 10 hour mark.

Wulfara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Thanks for your recommendation, i've bought it and received it yesterday.

It's simply the best third party battery i've ever bought. I've tested it with my AGS-101 SP : MAXIMUM Brightness with EverDrive GBA running Sonic Advance 3 intro non stop. It lasted 9H05 =DDDD before shut down.

The link doesn't work anymore. Can you please post pictures and/or brand and model of the battery? I am very interested on it. Thank you in advance :)

Wulfara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm a little worried by the 3.7 voltage. My original AGS-101 battery marks 3.8V. Have you had no problems with it in the long term? I know a little bit of electronics and I know undervoltage is not as bad as overvoltage for components, especially if it's so little as 0.1 volts, but I want my AGS-101 to last as much as possible and I would like to know your opinions on this. Thank you in advance :)

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Old thread, I know, but posting this for others' benefit: I did a little research using the item number/code and stuff from the ebay.fr posts that were shared in here, and I'm MOSTLY certain it's the same as this battery, which you can buy from this site in the US, if that's easier for you. It's more expensive than some others, but all the reviews mention that it actually lasts as long as it's supposed to, unlike a lot of the cheapo ones on eBay. Just ordered one myself and will report back once I receive it and have time to test it!
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/MSE10001

Reactions: zfreeman

Jimmv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old thread, I know, but posting this for others' benefit: I did a little research using the item number/code and stuff from the ebay.fr posts that were shared in here, and I'm MOSTLY certain it's the same as this battery, which you can buy from this site in the US, if that's easier for you. It's more expensive than some others, but all the reviews mention that it actually lasts as long as it's supposed to, unlike a lot of the cheapo ones on eBay. Just ordered one myself and will report back once I receive it and have time to test it!'/QUOTE]

Thank you! Do you know if this battery is compatible with the SP AGS-101, which uses a AGS-003 3.8V 600mAh battery? And also, my SP has a red LED after literally an hour or so of use after a full charge. Its an official Nintendo battery. Should i replace?

Last edited by Jimmv,

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
AGS-001 and AGS-101 both use the same battery compartment to my knowledge, so it should work fine!

Also, I never did give my promised update: This battery is great! I've been using it for a couple months as I replay the GBA Castlevania games, and it lasts a good long while! I haven't tested exact numbers, but it certainly lasts longer than the 5 hours my old battery was lasting!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu