Homebrew how hard would this be to port?

supersonic88

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
me and my friend were talking about games that could be ported to the wii and that reminded me of this game i played alot last year, i dont know how well known it is but sonic robo blast 2 for the PC sounded pretty fun

for those that don't know, Sonic Robo Blast 2 is a fan-made 3D sonic game created using a modified version of the Doom Legacy engine. it supports netplay multiplayer co-op and vs, plus custom characters and levels that can be loaded in game

Now, considering the wii has USB keyboard support already (which would be great for loading wads for different characters and stages) and maybe the netplay could be implanted as well, i think it sounds like a cool idea...

the source is available and it was already ported to the dreamcast...though on the dreamcast the speed gets choppy, no net play, and has no music (though SFX can be heard)...

this is just me thinking aloud, i figured the wii is more powerful than the dreamcast and i haven't seen anyone suggest this
tongue.gif

video of gameplay:

direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8hBYbwRwUw
site: http://www.srb2.org/

anyways i'd port this myself if i knew how but otherwise, thoughts guys?

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
If the source is available then it may be possible, yes. But this should probably be in the Wii Homebrew section.

Sahduk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Iv never heard of that game, BUT THAT IS HOW SONIC SHOULD BE. sorry I couldn't help you.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pelago said:
If the source is available then it may be possible, yes. But this should probably be in the Wii Homebrew section.

No this is one of the few posts that should be in here, seeing as it's about hacking. Most of the "How do I get game x working with Gamma/Softmii/Softchip" posts should be in Homebrew.

Back on topic, I guess it depends on how much of the game is in the engine instead of the wad.

supersonic88

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
pelago said:

No this is one of the few posts that should be in here, seeing as it's about hacking. Most of the "How do I get game x working with Gamma/Softmii/Softchip" posts should be in Homebrew.

Back on topic, I guess it depends on how much of the game is in the engine instead of the wad.
its more of a tweak of the engine, not a wad..on the dreamcast it ran at a very playable speed, even had split screen 2 player..sure there was a little lag and no sound aside from the sound FX, but the wii is more powerful than the dreamcast so i think it could get to full speed with nothing cut...i have the dreamcast port so i should be able to get a video up of it tomorrow

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
pelago said:
No this is one of the few posts that should be in here, seeing as it's about hacking.
No it isn't. Since when is porting software to different systems hacking? This is a homebrew discussion.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Vague Rant said:
cwstjdenobs said:
pelago said:
No this is one of the few posts that should be in here, seeing as it's about hacking.
No it isn't. Since when is porting software to different systems hacking? This is a homebrew discussion.

For about 20 years before the media got hacking mixed up with cracking. By porting this they are learning about how it works and making it work in a way not intended by the author. I do believe that is more to do with hacking than "I'm an idiot who can't read instructions and thinks using a backup loader is hacking". Almost all of the loader threads should be in homebrew as that's about using homebrew. Writing software is hacking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Up