How do you feel about self checkout?

Xerokard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It seems like more and more, the human experience is being eliminated. Greedy corporations are trying to maximize profit, while hiring as few people as they can.

I first noticed this at Wal*Mart. When self checkout was first introduced, it seemed great. You can go in, load up your cart, and make your purchase, all without having to interact with a single person. That is, until the machine malfunctions or jams up, or you scan something that requires ID verification. Then you have to flag down the single person whose job is to sit there and watch people check themselves out. That is, if there even is someone there, or if they're not busy helping someone else.

The result is 15 empty lines, of which only 1 or 2 are ever open at a time, save for busy seasons, and 2 self checkout areas, that are often flooded with people to wait behind. This is only conditioning people to be less social, and resulting in jobs for fewer people. Even the floor buffing machines are automated.

It's even crept its way into fast food restaurants, where people crowd around kiosks, taking forever to find what they want, and then figure out how to modify their orders, instead of going to the counter and telling a cashier, who's already trained in taking orders.

Then tonight I went into a gas station after not going there for a couple weeks, only to find on the counter a machine that you place all your items in and it automatically scans everything. The cashier had to come around, and demonstrate how it works, and even she struggled to get it working at first. And as I needed cigars, she needed to verify my ID, so she would have needed to be there anyway. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for older people, and those who aren't as tech savvy.

If people keep quietly accepting this, I see a future where instead of isles and coolers, and friendly cashiers, there will instead be sterile environments with rows of vending machines. For machines containing tobacco and alcohol, you will need to scan your ID. And only 1 or 2 people will have jobs there, which will be to clean the floors, and to stock and service the machines. That is until they automate those positions as well.

We are sacrificing tiny pieces of our humanity for personal convenience.

Last edited by Xerokard,

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Self Checkout is all fine and dandy, but a machine won't ask me how i'm doing or if i found everything i was looking for, and it CERTAINLY won't ask to see my reciept on the way out the door.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a new "White Castle" restaurant that just open near me. My first time in was weird. There is no cashier or anyone at the counter to greet you at all. There is a touch screen with the menu which you place your order, pay with card or cash, and it spits out a reciept with a number. Then you sit and wait till your number is called, or displayed, then pick up food from a counter. Did not have to speak to a single person. I don't mind this, (in fact is nice when your baked) it was just different.

• Love
Reactions: slaphappygamer

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah no objection to such things. Only times I have ever really found the witterings of cashiers of any interest is when it is some retired old guy that is doing it to pass the time but was something interesting in life.

"Greedy corporations are trying to maximize profit, while hiring as few people as they can."
You say that like it is a bad thing.

Reactions: AhsanMC and BigOnYa

Xerokard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah no objection to such things. Only times I have ever really found the witterings of cashiers of any interest is when it is some retired old guy that is doing it to pass the time but was something interesting in life.

"Greedy corporations are trying to maximize profit, while hiring as few people as they can."
You say that like it is a bad thing.
Isn't it though? People being replaced with soulless machines. One day you wake up to find that your services are no longer required? Anyone call an 800 number lately, aggravated that you're forced to listen to a recording instead of talking to a human being? One day you will go to your local convenience store, and be shocked to find that the nice lady that you kind of like, who always says something that makes you smile is no longer there, and in her place is just a scanner and a touch screen.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't it though? People being replaced with soulless machines. One day you wake up to find that your services are no longer required? Anyone call an 800 number lately, aggravated that you're forced to listen to a recording instead of talking to a human being? One day you will go to your local convenience store, and be shocked to find that the nice lady that you kind of like, who always says something that makes you smile is no longer there, and in her place is just a scanner and a touch screen.
In the sense that the automation of society might mean people that can aspire to nothing more than cashier, however history of full of examples of people that railed against technological progress (not to mention if said convenience store does not adopt it the [salary+pension+benefits x however many to cover the opening hours] price difference for the new one a road over that does will kill it soon enough). However being an antisocial bastard I am all for the machine approach.

On automated phone calls then https://gethuman.com/ and similar such services, possibly also tricks (don't know if swearing at it still works). That said I can't remember the last one I dealt with.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA, REMOVE THE ITEM BEFORE CONTINUING!"
it's super annoying to me that the faster you get at self checkout, the more errors it throws. If it didn't throw so many errors I would be out of the store in no time.

Also annoying how there is a timer between scanning identical items, so it takes like 10 seconds per yogurt ;A;

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's super annoying to me that the faster you get at self checkout, the more errors it throws. If it didn't throw so many errors I would be out of the store in no time.

Also annoying how there is a timer between scanning identical items, so it takes like 10 seconds per yogurt ;A;
That definitely annoys me when the weight of the item doesn't register and that you have to get assistance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol