Hacking Question How are we going to do this? (Nintendo Switch Lite RCM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Regardless of its patched state
RCM will still be accessible, Just means you will likely have to open the console (Thus voiding the warranty)
You will not be able to hack it through RCM though.

PHiLiPZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
To enter RCM you had to press three buttons. Two are physically existing on the Switch, the third one isn’t. To press the third “button” one has to short two wires. You can not achieve this in SW.

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well with the switch lite being just a budget device it would make sense if it had no RCM or whatever meas of entering recovery to flash firmwares and stuff like that.
Once broken they might just replace the motherboard
Why would they spend tons of money to manufacture tons of spare boards, just on the off chance that enough people will brick their consoles and need a new board? It would be much more economically friendly for them to utilize a recovery mode to fix an otherwise functional device. Then they get paid by consumers, and a portion of that money goes to the workers doing the repairs. Otherwise they would be paying for new boards, workers for repairs, and not making anything from consumers needing repairs unless they Jack the prices up.

Also the switch lite isn't just a budget device. It's a device to fill the void being left by the 3ds in their handheld only portion of the market. Its smaller, brighter, and more kid friendly. With less removable parts. Its targeting a specific hole in the market. Children do not need removable controllers to lose or break. Children do not need IR cameras or hd-rumble. But they do need a device tailored for them, and the 3ds is being replaced for good reason. It's out dated.

Last edited by reminon,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't going to be vulnerable to the RCM exploit regardless.

Nintendo did a really good job with security on the Switch. You should assume it's going to be a long time before it's hacked, if ever.
"if ever"
Every single time. And every single time, there was a security hole. You don't have to put that there anymore.

Reactions: Ty_

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is reasonable to say the new Switch models might not ever be fully exploited.

Right, there are no publicly released exploits that will fully exploit the new switch models (or the old switch models that are still on sale for that matter). We can only speculate whether that is because there are no exploits to find, or whether nobody has looked in the right way. Another coldboot exploit on the scale of fusee gelee is unlikely, but if there was one then someone might hang onto it for a whole load longer.

Last edited by smf,

Ty_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"if ever"
Every single time. And every single time, there was a security hole. You don't have to put that there anymore.

I remember "If ever" over and over when the idea of installing NSPs first came about...

Saying it'll take months or years is reasonable, implying "not ever" is naive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It is reasonable to say the new Switch models might not ever be fully exploited.

No but it's incredibly unlikely to say it would never be exploited. It's much more likely for a new exploit to appear than not. It's much more a question of time than "if"

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember "If ever" over and over when the idea of installing NSPs first came about...

Saying it'll take months or years is reasonable, implying "not ever" is naive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No but it's incredibly unlikely to say it would never be exploited. It's much more likely for a new exploit to appear than not. It's much more a question of time than "if"
It's incorrect to say it's "much more likely than not" that a new exploit will appear.

Nintendo did a really good job with security, and there are no known exploits in the pipeline. Just because something has happened before (under different circumstances) does not mean it is likely to happen again. You lack the information needed to make these kinds of statements about probability.

Edit: Just saw this Twitter post and thought it was relevant.

Last edited by Lacius,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Micheal has spokken the genius behind switch hacking said probably no security holes beyond 8.1.0 i believe it either way im not hacking my lite EVER even if we magicly find a unpatable exploit thats what my banned first switch is for lol

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's incorrect to say it's "much more likely than not" that a new exploit will appear.

Nintendo did a really good job with security, and there are no known exploits in the pipeline. Just because something has happened before (under different circumstances) does not mean it is likely to happen again. You lack the information needed to make these kinds of statements about probability.

Edit: Just saw this Twitter post and thought it was relevant.

It's not a niche product. Eventually it will be exploited. I agree that security gets better and better with new advances in technology and techniques. Its naive to imply that reverse engineers will just simply stop doing what they do.
The cat and mouse game never ends until the manufacturer ends hardware and software updates. Then a new game starts on the successor.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a niche product. Eventually it will be exploited. I agree that security gets better and better with new advances in technology and techniques. Its naive to imply that reverse engineers will just simply stop doing what they do.
The cat and mouse game never ends until the manufacturer ends hardware and software updates. Then a new game starts on the successor.
Respectfully, saying it will "eventually be exploited" is optimistic naivety. There's a good chance it won't be.

Nintendo's security on the Switch cannot be understated. There's a very real difficulty to finding new exploits.

Last edited by Lacius,

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Respectfully, saying it will "eventually be exploited" is optimistic naivety. There's a good chance it won't be.

Nintendo's security on the Switch cannot be understated. There's a very real difficulty to finding new exploits.
While i see your point, I have to respectfully disagree on the likely-hood part.

Last edited by reminon,

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you claiming to know something that SciresM doesn't? If not, then you cannot reasonably assess the odds of it "eventually happening."
I'm not claiming to have hidden knowledge. I'm just saying that probability doesn't automatically fall to 0. Especially given console hacking history. You can say that the history is not relevant, but it is. I'm not saying that it will happen before EOL, but at some point it probably will.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just saying that probability doesn't automatically fall to 0.
  1. I didn't say the odds were 0%.
  2. Saying the probability "doesn't automatically fall to 0%" is not the same thing as saying "it will eventually be hacked (100%)." It's also not the same thing as it "probably will be (>50%)."

Especially given console hacking history. You can say that the history is not relevant, but it is.
The history of hacking on less secure consoles is irrelevant.

I'm not saying that it will happen before EOL, but at some point it probably will.
You cannot reasonably say it will "probably be hacked," unless you have information the rest of us don't. There's a good chance it won't be.

NilsHuckschlag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could do it with a SD card again... or do an exploit, when you set up a custom DNS after connecting your switch to pc and make a program like rcm and make it launch the installer. Or is the security to high?

chrisisx

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Maybe not CFW but maybe someone will be able to create a Flashcart (same as sky3ds) in future so that you can play pirated games on patched switch. But sadyly no homebrew though.

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe not CFW but maybe someone will be able to create a Flashcart (same as sky3ds) in future so that you can play pirated games on patched switch. But sadyly no homebrew though.
A Switch flashcart is literally impossible to make. Nintendo added a crazy amount of security to the cart slot that makes that completely impossible.

Reactions: Tac 21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning