• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 22,540
  • Replies 140
  • Likes 8
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
The DS4 is actually the best wired controller I found. Except that it isn't supposed to be wired (and according to what you said, it does an awful job at being wireless?) so that's why it's too expensive and too power-hungry for my needs... but apart from that, it has all the buttons I need and even more.

The V2 series of DualShock 4 are now able to be played wired whereas the V1 seemed to have an issue with it.

Seems like that Hori controller works too (if it has 4 triggers, I can't see with that angle)
If you're thinking of analogue triggers, they're probably going to skip that since Switch doesn't use analogue triggers as Nintendo once again stuck with digital triggers for god knows why.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The V2 series of DualShock 4 are now able to be played wired whereas the V1 seemed to have an issue with it.
Wut? I have two V1 DS4 (they don't have the additional light on the touchpad) and they work flawlessly on my Pi.

If you're thinking of analogue triggers, they're probably going to skip that since Switch doesn't use analogue triggers as Nintendo once again stuck with digital triggers for god knows why.
I'm fine with digital (though analog is better) as long as there are 4 of them :P

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's not retarded.
Here's a comparison of Hori's d-pads versus Xbox 360:
752dec39cdd8b89b3b9ff59150251f3f.jpg

Sorry but I really don't see it...

The 360's dpad is a floating circle.. Where the new Hori one is an actuall cross design, that works the same as a modern Nintendo dpad.

Look more closely.. The 360 dpad's base is a floating circle, that's part of the dpad piece itself (normally known as part of a bad dpad design)

Now check the new Hori.. Its circular dpad base is a solid piece of the controller's chassis.. I know it can look kinda similar for people not willing to open their eyes and brains too much (haha, just kidding) but really... related to functionality, it's completely different.

About why I think the rise in the dpad's base exists? I think it's probably due to one of two reasons:

First, as others have stated here already, it could be related to the dpad's module being removable.. What I don't think is the case due to the cheap price of the controller.. But who knows.

And as Second, for symmetry reasons. The Hori pads focus on competitive play, so equal hights on all 4 dpad quadrants (both on pressed and released positions) is important. This kind of symmetry helps you to perceive and use the controller more efficiently.
The original Wii classic controller didn't do that, for example.. If you analise the part of that controller's chassis where the dpad rests in (and I'm not talking about the GC shaped one) you'll notice that the right part of the chassis, closer to the middle of the controller, is higher than the left one, what is more noticeable when you press the dpad buttons (the left button doesn't goes down as far as the right one).
The ps4 controller, for example, seems to have acknowledged this tiny issue, by having a flat leveled base for the dpad.. ... That's what seems to be happening here with the new Hori IMO

Last edited by Walker D, , Reason: typo
Reactions: Garblant

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I imagine they went with digital because like the only genre that actually uses analog triggers is racing games.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I imagine they went with digital because like the only genre that actually uses analog triggers is racing games.
Not really. Shooters use analogue triggers too.

If that were really the reason, then Microsoft and Sony wouldn't use analogue triggers anymore. Nintendo is just being backwards once again.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not really. Shooters use analogue triggers too.

If that were really the reason, then Microsoft and Sony wouldn't use analogue triggers anymore. Nintendo is just being backwards once again.
What are they used for? I don't play shooters often, but from what I remember, it was just things like "aim down sights", "throw grenade" and "shoot", which didn't really need any analog inputs. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious now.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
What are they used for? I don't play shooters often, but from what I remember, it was just things like "aim down sights", "throw grenade" and "shoot", which didn't really need any analog inputs. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious now.
To aim precisely and if you really want to shoot or take it back, it allows the user to control whereas digital triggers don't.

Press a digital trigger and there it goes.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To aim precisely and if you really want to shoot or take it back, it allows the user to control whereas digital triggers don't.

Press a digital trigger and there it goes.
Yup.
And that's pretty much why I prefer digital buttons. Low travel, fast responses. That's also why 95% of Hori controllers go full digital.

Yah, I know... Some shooters and racing games need it and bla bla.. But me personally, never felt needing an analog trigger, nor even once (this kinda of stuff obviously depends a bit on personal preference though).

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Yup.
And that's pretty much why I prefer digital buttons. Low travel, fast responses. That's also why 95% of Hori controllers go full digital.

Yah, I know... Some shooters and racing games need it and bla bla.. But me personally, never felt needing an analog trigger, nor even once (this kinda of stuff obviously depends a bit on personal preference though).
I really like using analogue triggers on GTA for driving and shooting it's something that Rockstar has perfected after so many different titles. Sniper Elite, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, Forza, Battlefield, Call of Duty (4), etc all make great use of it.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really like using analogue triggers on GTA for driving and shooting it's something that Rockstar has perfected after so many different titles. Sniper Elite, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo, Forza, Battlefield, Call of Duty (4), etc all make great use of it.
I can see that... There's no one product fits all scenario when talking about controllers.. That's why Hori makes controllers for competitive play (mainly fighting games). It's a niche controller.. And as so, I don't think the analog trigger's discussion being that relevant

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I can see that... There's no one product fits all scenario when talking about controllers.. That's why Hori makes controllers for competitive play (mainly fighting games). It's a niche controller.. And as so, I don't think the analog trigger's discussion being that relevant
For a niche controller it should have a proper d-pad.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like a floating circle to me, like the one on x360.
I kind of can't see what you're talking about. My fault probably.
The circle is separate from the actual Dpad, unlike x360 controllers. You can really tell because of the two different shades of gray.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina