Homebrew Hi there! Recommended applications?

hiJackkd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm Jack.

I recently started getting into 3DS Homebrew and was hoping to get a bit of help starting off!

Does anyone have any suggestions of any apps or CFW that you personally use that you think I might like.
I want to make my New 3DS XL almost a "multi-media device" with the ability to listen to music, watch MP4s, play emulated games and boot backups of my games etc.

Thanks for building a great community for people like me to view for help!

Thanks!

hiJackkd

LVG

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Jack!

I think the N3DSXL is awesome for gaming, and retrogaming, so you can check out a list of emulators that run well on the platform, plus the catalog of NDS and 3DS games is gigantic!

Tried looking into using the system for video playing and the most generic answer I found was that you're better off using a more recent phone to play mp4 videos... but maybe someone will chime in with more encouraging insight :)

The usual apps will always be GM9 to backup your games as a cia file that you install with FBI, Checkpoint to manage saves, and Anemone for theme customization. Then I personally like to use an app to shutdown the system, instead of pressing the button (it's called 3DS Quick Shutdown and it's a cia file). There's TWiLightMenu++ for DS games, and you can find emulators that are .nds files(so they run with TWiLightMenu!), I found an Amstrad emulator, imagine that (yeah I'm kinda too old for that sh...)

Lots of possibilities, really :)

Let us know what you try out!

Last edited by LVG,

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
GB/GBC: Gambatte core from Retroarch or GameYob from TWiLightMenu++
GBA: OPEN_AGB_FIRM or GBARunner2 from TWiLightMenu++ (mGBA for romhacks that won't work on any of them)
NDS: TWiLightMenu++
NES: virtuaNES
SNES: Snes9x 2002 core from Retroarch
N64: Daedalusx64
SEGA Genesis/Megadrive: Genesis Plus GX core from Retroarch or Picodrive

CTRX SD Explorer or 3DShell for managing your SD files, Universal Updater for downloading homebrew, ftpd, 3DSControllerPlus for using your 3DS as a gamepad in PC, TWPatcher enhances DS games scaling.

There's also Super Mario 64 3DS port, as well as Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 ports. CTGP-7 as a mod for Mario Kart 7, Project Restoration for TLOZ: Majora's Mask 3D.

ctrmus plays wav, aiff, flac, opus and mp3 files (music). I don't think there's a way to play MP4 vids on 3DS, only read about a moflex player - you'll have to convert your MP4s to moflex format I think.

That's a nice list of homebrew for starters, hope it's useful

bob1212

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm Jack.

I recently started getting into 3DS Homebrew and was hoping to get a bit of help starting off!

Does anyone have any suggestions of any apps or CFW that you personally use that you think I might like.
I want to make my New 3DS XL almost a "multi-media device" with the ability to listen to music, watch MP4s, play emulated games and boot backups of my games etc.

Thanks!

hiJackkd
You can sign up for dev portal for Nintendo and get a moflex converter from Nintendo and you can watch any moflex file but you do need a good computer I think because it uses like 90 cpu usage to convert a mp4 or mkv or other video files to moflex and watch them on your 3ds

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi, I'm Jack.

Thanks!

hiJackkd
Also you can have ps1 emulation with pcsx rearmed it runs full speed on most games

hiJackkd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can sign up for dev portal for Nintendo and get a moflex converter from Nintendo and you can watch any moflex file but you do need a good computer I think because it uses like 90 cpu usage to convert a mp4 or mkv or other video files to moflex and watch them on your 3ds

Also you can have ps1 emulation with pcsx rearmed it runs full speed on most games

Hey Thanks! I'll definitely look into it!

GB/GBC: Gambatte core from Retroarch or GameYob from TWiLightMenu++
GBA: OPEN_AGB_FIRM or GBARunner2 from TWiLightMenu++ (mGBA for romhacks that won't work on any of them)
NDS: TWiLightMenu++
NES: virtuaNES
SNES: Snes9x 2002 core from Retroarch
N64: Daedalusx64
SEGA Genesis/Megadrive: Genesis Plus GX core from Retroarch or Picodrive

CTRX SD Explorer or 3DShell for managing your SD files, Universal Updater for downloading homebrew, ftpd, 3DSControllerPlus for using your 3DS as a gamepad in PC, TWPatcher enhances DS games scaling.

There's also Super Mario 64 3DS port, as well as Sonic CD, Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 ports. CTGP-7 as a mod for Mario Kart 7, Project Restoration for TLOZ: Majora's Mask 3D.

ctrmus plays wav, aiff, flac, opus and mp3 files (music). I don't think there's a way to play MP4 vids on 3DS, only read about a moflex player - you'll have to convert your MP4s to moflex format I think.

That's a nice list of homebrew for starters, hope it's useful

Thanks! I'll definitely look into your suggestions!

Hi Jack!

I think the N3DSXL is awesome for gaming, and retrogaming, so you can check out a list of emulators that run well on the platform, plus the catalog of NDS and 3DS games is gigantic!

Tried looking into using the system for video playing and the most generic answer I found was that you're better off using a more recent phone to play mp4 videos... but maybe someone will chime in with more encouraging insight :)

The usual apps will always be GM9 to backup your games as a cia file that you install with FBI, Checkpoint to manage saves, and Anemone for theme customization. Then I personally like to use an app to shutdown the system, instead of pressing the button (it's called 3DS Quick Shutdown and it's a cia file). There's TWiLightMenu++ for DS games, and you can find emulators that are .nds files(so they run with TWiLightMenu!), I found an Amstrad emulator, imagine that (yeah I'm kinda too old for that sh...)

Lots of possibilities, really :)

Let us know what you try out!

Hi, Thanks for your suggestions. With the MP4 player, I was hoping to see if I could it as an alternate device to my phone - phone is dead etc. I might have a look deeper into 3DS homebrew sites and try and see if there is any apps that can solve that. It isn't a "must have", just a "like to have".

I've homebrewed a Nintendo Wii in the past and Jailbroken a PS3, but that's it tbh, so I'm hoping that a 3DS will really give me a boost in my learning with Homebrew. I'm looking into developing my own homebrew apps and ports, but It is going to take time. Anyway, Thanks and I will definitely look into your advice.

LVG

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I forgot about the Doom port that lets you use the 3D effect : it looks really good! I think it's prboom3ds.

The post linked by @fmkid is very informative.

There are also websites about general homebrew apps for the 3DS, like this one : http://ryuzaki-mrl.github.io/3ds/homebrew/?legacy=true

I found the cfw install very smooth on the 3DS, and it's stable as well, compared with my PS Vita experience with lots of errors.

Last edited by LVG,
Reactions: fmkid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...