Hacking Help with Param.sfo on PS3 cfw

lmntathffan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to load copies of the games Bulletstorm and Killzone 3 from an External HDD but each time I attempt to load the games I am asked "Do you want to change param.sfo version to 3.55". I answer "Yes", and the screen switches resolution in the top-right corner from 1080p to 720p, and then goes black, after which I am forced to manually restart the console. I've tried searching for some possible solutions but have found little to nothing which would explain exactly what Param.sfo is, so any help and/or input would be tremendously appreciated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Param.sfo is a file containing the game informations for the console.
Like the game name, the GameID, the game version, the minimum firmware version needed (3.56 or 3.60), if the game is a HDD (psn) or a Disc (Bluray) or a DLC game, Parental level, etc.

If you are on 3.55, and the param.sfo of the game you want to play have a higher version needed, the game will ask you to update your console.
To prevent the game to ask about the update, you can either edit the param.sfo manually (there are few Param.sfo editor for Windows), or let the Game Manager do it for you.

Apparently, when the manager is doing it for you, there's something wrong as the video signal is changed and the console freeze.

Maybe you could try it manually :
• Use an FTP server (blackb0x ftp, openftp, dragonftp, etc.) or a file manager (Multiman, Awesome File manager) to copy the dev_hdd0/games/game-ID/param.sfo to your USB and put it on your computer.
Note : If you have the game on your computer, just use the original file, in case the file on your PS3 is corrupted.
• Launch a Param.sfo editor *
• change the minimum version requirement to 3.55
• save the file, and put it back into the PS3

* Param.sfo editors :
Param SFO editor : I can't load any .sfo file, maybe I need some dependency, like .net or visual basic.
Homebrewed Playstation3 System file Editor : This one work, but is in beta. Could cause incompatibility. Just try it, it may work fine too.
System File Utility for PlaystationÂ3 : This one is an offical software from Sony. Can be found in the "PS3 Gui Toolbox" program pack.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the param.sfo has no checksum or anything to it. you can edit the values directly in a hex editor. just find the version string and change the ascii values to the string of a lower number like 1.6 or something.

the video modes in the sfo file are little endian u32 that are or'd combinations of supported modes.

480 = 1
576 = 2
720 = 4
1080 = 8
480(16:9) = 0x10
576(16:9) = 0x20

scraightscreet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude all you have to do is DL this http://ps3.dashhacks.com/downloads/ps3-sfo-editor-v080 its a great program all you have to do is load the PARAM.SFO to the program and click advanced edit and you will see the system firmware version triple click on the number (3.5600) for KZ3 and and change it to whatever CFW you are on. i changed my KZ3 to 3.5500 then you click ok (save changes) then click save and it will open the folder with the original SFO in it click it once hit save then it will ask do you want to replace this file click yes and your good to go. make sure to back up the original SFO in case of an error on your part.i know for a fact this worked for KZ3 not sure about bulletstorm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4