Hardware [Help] My hardmodded N3dsXL won't turn on

Cralex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,
I just finished hardmodding my New 3dsXL and everything looked ok to me, but it won't power on now that I've got it back together. When I try, the blue power LED comes on for a moment or two, before shutting off. Nothing from the screens, although I hear the speakers click when the 3ds turns itself off. Nothing's connected to the wires that I attached to the motherboard.

Does this sound fixable or did I just fry my beloved 3ds and kiss my saved games goodbye? Due to the difficulty I had doing the hardmod, I'd rather an experienced hand work on it if it seems salvageable. Perhaps @vb_encryption_vb would be willing to look it over for a fee? I can't afford a new unit right now. Thanks.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
On that image here
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/qpvwunnhawwzwjq5-jpeg.25490/
Do you see the red squares? The second one from the top? Is the ribbon cable in that square correctly seated?
I had exactly the same problem as yours but when turning my console on while pressing on that hinge-thing in that red square (or maybe the top one, but I'm pretty sure it's the second one from the top), it would turn on correctly. So I just did some stupid stuff to keep that pressed before closing the case.

Cralex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy cow, that did it! I thought it was in there, but I gave it another nudge and it went in farther. Thank you so much! Now I just need to get my SD adapter in order and hope I can access the NAND ok... But yeah, I can't thank you enough!

Edit: Okay, the system boots fine while connected to just the SD card, and it shows a boot error while turned on with the sd adapter plugged into the Anker card reader, but I can't get the drive to appear when I plug it in to my computer. Using windows 10 64-bit, I see a greyed-out drive appear for a split second when I plug it in, but then it immediately disappears. No prompt to format or anything. So, does it sound like a bad soldering job in the unit, or maybe my sd card adapter is screwed up? I can tell you that my work on the sd adapter was horrendously ugly and hackish, so I wouldn't be surprised if I need to get a new one and try again. (They don't sell pre-hacked SD adapters anywhere, do they? If anyone has one that they aren't using, I might be willing to buy it.)

Last edited by Cralex,

Cralex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that was the problem. I got a new microsd card adaptor and used it to successfully read and write to the nand. My problem was, on the first card, I pried open just the micro SD card slot instead of taking the whole thing apart and removing the internals. This left me with too little room to work with. Plus, my second adaptor (it was bundled with a Samsung card) had a sort of cage running around the inside that was connected to GND, so I just connected the GND wire to the cage instead of the GND pin. This gave me a little extra clearance.

Thanks everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up