Help how can I unbrick my wii u whose memory (eMMC) is empty?

pyromixLua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I have an 8gb wii u that I bricked with CBHC.

Using a second wii u of 8 go which is not bricked, I tried to unbrick it with a 2 Hard mode like this:
01.jpg

I found a forum that explains how hard mod works on this link:
//gbatemp.net/threads/successfully-dumped-wiiu-emmc-nand-with-hardmod.457165

I managed to detect both wii u with the pc from the hardmod. I installed win32 disk imager to dump the second wii u then inject it to the wii u which is bricked.
But it didn't go as expected... when I wrote the bricked nand, I deleting the old files. I got error 23 Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
So the memory of the wii u (eMMC) is empty! When I boot the system menu, the video output no longer displays anything, the gamepad is no longer synchronized, and there is no more "wii u" startup logo...

Since then, I hope to unbrick it with a nintendo switch (udpih) with this link:

//gbatemp.net/threads/udpih-usb-host-stack-exploit-recovery-menu.613369

I managed to go to the recovery menu with the wii u which is not bricked. But I can't access the recovery menu with the bricked wii u

I'm completely stuck now and I don't know what else to try.

.Here are the photos of the wii u which is not bricked with the nintendo switch:

20221025_204329_resized.jpg

20221025_204318_resized.jpg

And the photos of the wii u which is bricked:

20221025_204703_resized.jpg

20221025_204644_resized.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First off.. cudos for doing this.. it's definitely not easy doing 1 hard mod , let alone doing this with 2 WiiUs
Unfortunately what you attempted is not possible. The mlc of each WiiU is encrypted with a unique key (found in opt.bin)

There is currently no documented way to take 1 mlc.bin file , decrypt it , and then re-encrypt it to be usable for another WiiU
Link to some discussion around this here => link

Your only solution now is to flash back the original mlc.bin (even in a broken state) back to your bricked Wiiu (Hopefully you took a backup, even in a bricked CBHC state ) , and then from there you can attempt to fix it via the recovery method.

If you don't have a backup of your mlc.bin from the broken switch , you are most likely out of luck.

Last edited by AQS,

pyromixLua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello ,
Thanks a lot for your answer. I will try to find the original mlc or the dump with the hardmod .img again in my archive
I will let you inform

Reactions: Alexander1970

pyromixLua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello! I have bad news: I don't have the original mlc.full.img/dump file hardmod.img wii u bricked. I don't know how to make a mlc for a new wii u... I'm screwed!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I have bad news: I don't have the original mlc.full.img/dump file hardmod.img wii u bricked. I don't know how to make a mlc for a new wii u... I'm screwed!
yeah, I think you're screwed. there's no way that I'm aware of to reencrypt a donor mlc to work on some random console. we just don't know enough about the system. they were, possibly still are, working on a way to clone the mlc to another system, but if you don't even have a working dump, I think that system is toast.

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I replied on the previous discussion on that from last year. I am not working on it a lot, but I did do some progress since than. I talked about the missing part of the journal of the file system. The good news is that I understood the structure of it since last time, and the better news is that it wasn't even necessary since it is reinitialized every boot.
So to summarize it, I know fully understand almost every bit of the file system.

After ditching it for few months I am now implementing the structures of the block allocator. So the current plan is to
iterate over all the directory blocks/files data/the full free blocks tree and to re-encrypt every block. Not sure when it will be ready. Hopefully in a few weeks if I keep working on it.

pyromixLua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I replied on the previous discussion on that from last year. I am not working on it a lot, but I did do some progress since than. I talked about the missing part of the journal of the file system. The good news is that I understood the structure of it since last time, and the better news is that it wasn't even necessary since it is reinitialized every boot.
So to summarize it, I know fully understand almost every bit of the file system.

After ditching it for few months I am now implementing the structures of the block allocator. So the current plan is to
iterate over all the directory blocks/files data/the full free blocks tree and to re-encrypt every block. Not sure when it will be ready. Hopefully in a few weeks if I keep working on it.
Hello, thanks for helping,
Keep me informed of your advancement, I hope you will succeed

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India

Are you still working on this?? Is a breakthrough possible in near future?? And if it does will it be helpful in unbricking such wii u

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Are you still working on this?? Is a breakthrough possible in near future?? And if it does will it be helpful in unbricking such wii u
Yes I am still working on it, the progress is slow as I don't have a lot of time to work on it. I am working on a tool to list all the free blocks as a poc for that capability, I assume that it will be ready next month. After that I am going to write a tool that reencrypt the whole disk with another key (maybe it will help to such cases as you may use donor console emmc). And after that I will start to work on the code for modifying the emmc.

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Yes I am still working on it, the progress is slow as I don't have a lot of time to work on it. I am working on a tool to list all the free blocks as a poc for that capability, I assume that it will be ready next month. After that I am going to write a tool that reencrypt the whole disk with another key (maybe it will help to such cases as you may use donor console emmc). And after that I will start to work on the code for modifying the emmc.
best for luck buddy ..if this does executed successfully it might appear as another huge breakthrough after garys recovery method since yours might be able to cover other wii u unbrick aspects as well...pin pointing mine is wii u black screen of death brick( it appears similar to case above but it happens during power failure of system update post such power failure the wii u dosent recognises game pad nor display appears on tv but console powers on blindly even fan also works ) your method might work on this as well are there chances???

Reactions: pyromixLua

Antviau

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello! I recently purchased a broken Wii U with similar issues, are you still working on this? I have a Nand programmer, OK soldering skills so I'd be willing to test on the system if needed.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello! I recently purchased a broken Wii U with similar issues, are you still working on this? I have a Nand programmer, OK soldering skills so I'd be willing to test on the system if needed.
It's probably useless without a OTP backup, and there's no way to get that without at least being able to boot the UDPIH recovery menu.

LTRMars

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Bonjour,
J'ai une wii u qui s'allume et où l'on a accès au menu sauf que j'ai une erreur lors de la création du mii et la nand est corrompue. J'ai réussi à vider la nand avec udiph. J'aimerais savoir avec les fichiers à récupérer si on peut refaire une nand avec les fichiers d'une wii u clean afin d'injecter les fichiers opt à l'intérieur.

MERCI

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi