[Headphone jack] What's with all the apple hate?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick look isn't exactly what you're looking for (custom icons), however I still think it's very useful to have. I suggest also taking a look at https://github.com/sindresorhus/quick-look-plugins

as for custom icons, I don't know where to look, but I do know some applications do that (e.g. a vm software adding icons from windows exes).

Reactions: GerbilSoft

DavidRO99

Average Ryzen user.
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Personally, I dont hate Apples, they are a good fruit (sorry for the shit post)

Anyways, apart from that joke, you like who you want, nobody is forcing you to buy Apple or to buy Android, every phone has its problems, there isnt a PERFECT phone.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The audio jack was made decades ago and it's now obsolete. It was just taking up space.
At this very moment I am wearing headphones plugged into an audio jack. If I unplugged those headphones sound would come out of my speakers, plugged into another audio jack. If i want to listen to something on the bus, I use my earphones, which plug into my phone's audio jack.

You can't be serious.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

lil-g-gamegenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can feel free to write your own app for that.
You do realise that's exactly what he's trying to do. Also.
You can feel free to write your own app for that.
Finder treats all files like dumb pieces of data because that's what Finder is for, manipulating files, not finding out details about the contents.
I don't know about you but i think the Finder's job is to Find out things

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's wrong with allowing options? If someone wants to add functionality that not a lot of people use then why "not allow" it?
Well any piece of software that is 'just allowed' access to system resources can be detrimental to the functionality of the device and the security of the data on it.

What's "Get Info" for then?
it provides a minimal amount of data relating to a file's size and location, etc. so you can further identify files that might have similar names.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finder treats all files like dumb pieces of data because that's what Finder is for, manipulating files, not finding out details about the contents.
isn't it actually the opposite? Finder finds files and shows you details about it. separate applications are used for editing (or "manipulation")

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realise that's exactly what he's trying to do. Also.

Exactly it's about FINDING files not accessing the CONTENT of files.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well any piece of software that is 'just allowed' access to system resources can be detrimental to the functionality of the device and the security of the data on it.
Are you sure you're an Apple user? That sounds exactly like someone who's addicted to Windows 10 "Universal" Apps would say after they've fallen for Microsoft's pseudo-security schtick.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
First of all Apple says headphone jacks are ancient technology and yet they didn't remove them in their new Macbooks.

Second of all Apple likes to fix what's not broken.

Third of all Apple is a greedy corporation that leeches off of their sheep. Why would they release a cock-tease picture book for $300? Because they know their sheep will buy it and they did.

Fourth of all Apple increases global european app store prices when the value of the Euro falls and yet doesn't change the prices when the value of the Euro increases. Just shows their greed.

Despite all this, I use an iPhone SE as my main phone because it's the best small phone for me. Oh and it has a headphone jack.

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute. Do you even have a Macintosh, or just an iPhone? If you only have an iPhone, why did you even bother to pretend to know anything about Mac OS Finder?
I have a 11" and 13" MacBook Air, a Dell Studio XPS 8100 (windows 10), iPhone 6S, an iPad Mini retina, and countless Androids. I use iOS most frequently because it's the most secure and the most consistent experience. If I only had an iPhone I'm not sure I'd even know what Finder was...

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor people are mad that they can't afford the epitome of engineering and software development, so they sit there on their NSA infected Androids and Windows PCs slinging mud.
Dude, you're the literal definition of a fanboy. Let me show you the errors of your logic;
1. Macs and I-Phones can get malware too, and then you can't remove it because you don't have any good antivirus/antimalware programs
2. Mac OSX and IOS are both based of Unix
3. Why are you so worried about the NSA? Do you have something to hide? Not to mention, your ISP can still track your internet history if you're not using a VPN, and they are required to report it if necessary...
4. We can have our own opinions, it doesn't mean we're poor...
5. Since when is Apple the "epitome of engineering and software development?" They make computers and phones that look fancy, I literally bought a phone 2 years ago that surpassed the I-Phone 6 for $100.

Need I go on?

P.S. The only way to truly be secure is to run Linux, install ClamAV and Chkrootkit, and use a VPN. Plus, Linux only has 41 pieces of malware (around 15 if you discount all the pieces of malware that were proof-of-concepts or are outdated.) MacOSX has more than that....

P.P.S. I'm not trying to be rude, just pointing out some biased logic. Just chill...

Reactions: niuus

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P.S. The only way to truly be secure is to run Linux, install ClamAV and Chkrootkit, and use a VPN.
Add in a BIOS replacement (Coreboot) and disabling Intel AMT.

Incidentally, since Intel AMT is part of the CPU, that means all Macintoshes that use Intel Nehalem and later CPUs are vulnerable to the recently-announced AMT vulnerability. (All other PCs are vulnerable as well.)
I have a 11" and 13" MacBook Air, a Dell Studio XPS 8100 (windows 10), iPhone 6S, an iPad Mini retina, and countless Androids. I use iOS most frequently because it's the most secure and the most consistent experience. If I only had an iPhone I'm not sure I'd even know what Finder was...
I'm fairly confident my ThinkPad X230 running a customized Gentoo Linux with FDE SSD is more secure than your iPhone, but "security" can't easily be quantified without seeing the actual systems. (Of course, the X230, like most other Intel-based systems, is vulnerable to the AMT issue. Lenovo says they'll have a BIOS update within a month or two.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +X230

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would they release a cock-tease picture book for $300?
Tim Cook Apple is unfortunately not the same as Steve Jobs Apple. Steve Jobs wouldn't have put out a $300 art book but they're still overwhelmingly molded by his vision.

Dude, you're the literal definition of a fanboy. Let me show you the errors of your logic;
1. Macs and I-Phones can get malware too, and then you can't remove it because you don't have any good antivirus/antimalware programs
2. Mac OSX and IOS are both based of Unix
3. Why are you so worried about the NSA? Do you have something to hide? Not to mention, your ISP can still track your internet history if you're not using a VPN, and they are required to report it if necessary...
4. We can have our own opinions, it doesn't mean we're poor...
5. Since when is Apple the "epitome of engineering and software development?" They make computers and phones that look fancy, I literally bought a phone 2 years ago that surpassed the I-Phone 6 for $100.

1. iOS as it comes out of the box only runs apps from the app store, which unlike the Google Play store, is thoroughly vetted to not contain malware- if you jailbreak your shit that's on you. Mac OS obviously permits you to run whatever you want and malware happens, but with Gatekeeper, even rouge apps that have for whatever reason been erroneously issued a security certificate get them revoked expediently.
2. Great. That's why I love it. Unix stability with a human connection.
3. Hillary Clinton had "nothing to hide" but her legitimate email contents still arguably cost her a 1.2 Billion Dollar Presidential campaign
4. I apologize for the unadulterated snark, I just don't see choosing a less secure mobile OS to save a few bucks as that much of an 'opinion' as much as a forced comprimise
5. No, you didn't. You may have bought a phone with a processor that reports more megahertz, but Apple A-series processors paired with Apple iOS operating systems are UNMATCHED in mobile processing benchmarks.

Reactions: SLiV3R and ov3rkill

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Add in a BIOS replacement (Coreboot) and disabling Intel AMT.

Incidentally, since Intel AMT is part of the CPU, that means all Macintoshes that use Intel Nehalem and later CPUs are vulnerable to the recently-announced AMT vulnerability. (All other PCs are vulnerable as well.)
Those two depend on the computer (which is why I didn't add them,) but I do agree. If those options are available to the user, they should definitely use them. Another thing I forgot to mention, they could also do what I said, but use a VM as well...

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tim Cook Apple is unfortunately not the same as Steve Jobs Apple. Steve Jobs wouldn't have put out a $300 art book but they're still overwhelmingly molded by his vision.

1. iOS as it comes out of the box only runs apps from the app store, which unlike the Google Play store, is thoroughly vetted to not contain malware- if you jailbreak your shit that's on you. Mac OS obviously permits you to run whatever you want and malware happens, but with Gatekeeper, even rouge apps that have for whatever reason been erroneously issued a security certificate get them revoked expediently.
2. Great. That's why I love it. Unix stability with a human connection.
3. Hillary Clinton had "nothing to hide" but her legitimate email contents still arguably cost her a 1.2 Billion Dollar Presidential campaign
4. I apologize for the unadulterated snark, I just don't see choosing a less secure mobile OS to save a few bucks as that much of an 'opinion' as much as a forced comprimise
5. No, you didn't. You may have bought a phone with a processor that reports more megahertz, but Apple A-series processors paired with Apple iOS operating systems are UNMATCHED in mobile processing benchmarks.
1. There have been cases of malware getting on the App Store, and it caused quite a bit of damage I might add.
2. My point was that they didn't design the core of their OS.
3. She shouldn't have used a private email server, I didn't participate in the election because I couldn't see any of the candidates as moral. That's not the point I was trying to make; as long as you're not doing stupid stuff on the Internet, no one's going to be looking through your privacy...
4. Your comparing IOS to Android in terms of security? That's because Android sacrifices security for customization options, plus it depends on if the user downloads sketchy apps. It's in the same category as Windows in a way; it may have malware, but it also has the tools to combat it.
5. That sounds slightly biased. The I-Phone 6 runs a Dual-Core 1.4 Ghz processor, meanwhile my phone has a 1.5 Ghz Quad-Core. Even though I have to give Apple some credit, their OS is really optimized for that little feller...

It looks like we've reached an impasse, so this argument has no point anymore. GN mah dude...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: