Hacking Having problems with games freezing?

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kkthxbye said:
I used hdparm -S251 hdb - also tried a lot of the other commands (-K). Got an error that said somthing about feature not implemented.

The -S251 was used on the passport drives because -S0 wouldn't work. But yeah, if -S251 gives an error, I doubt -S0 will work. Did you try -B255 to turn off APM? That might work for you.

Actually, do ANY commands work? Does -g give you the drive info?

pitweasel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"3. Do not use cIOS36 rev 10. Install cIOS36 rev 9. If you aren't sure which one you have (or even if you think you know), re-install cIOS36 rev 9."

Well, nuts. I just installed rev10. If I run into the freeze problem, what's the best way to reinstall rev9? Can I just run the network installation like I did with 10, or do I have to use some specific downgrade tool? From what I understand, the one thing I absolutely should not do is uninstall a cIOS, right?

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just verified that HDDScan for Windows worked for a user with a Western Digital USB hard drive to cure the spindown problem.

Go under Features, IDE or SCSI Tools. You will see a screen like this:

84405600.png

The features available will depend on what your drive will support. If you are connecting your hard drive through USB, you may not be able to change much. Try connecting your drive directly to your PC through its native interface (SATA or EIDE).

RabidZombie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hdhacker said:
I just verified that HDDScan for Windows worked for a user with a Western Digital USB hard drive to cure the spindown problem.

84405600.png

The features available will depend on what your drive will support. If you are connecting your hard drive through USB, you may not be able to change much. Try connecting your drive directly to your PC through its native interface (SATA or EIDE).

Just to say, this doesn't work on my MyBook (it's the triple interface one, I can't remember the name). What ever I set the time to, it will still spin down after 10 mins. I'm pretty sure you have to do it via SATA (I haven't yet tried this on my drive, due to lack of the appropriate hardware).

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RabidZombie said:
Just to say, this doesn't work on my MyBook (it's the triple interface one, I can't remember the name). What ever I set the time to, it will still spin down after 10 mins. I'm pretty sure you have to do it via SATA (I haven't yet tried this on my drive, due to lack of the appropriate hardware).

They don't claim every USB enclosure will work. However, they do mention the Passport drives.

Tundrasama

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:

84405600.png

I've been having spindown problems with my HDD so I tried connecting my Maxtor STM3320620AS to the native EIDE slots and while HDD Scan detects the HDD, it does not allow me to access the IDE features. I also tried SeaTools and the drive is detected, however, it either fails when I try to test it or results in a fatal error. Is it possible that the drive does not allow for such control to be exercised?

katrem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hdhacker said:
RabidZombie said:

They don't claim every USB enclosure will work. However, they do mention the Passport drives.
You can change the settings / disable spindown but only for as long as it is connected to the computer. If you disable spindown, disconnect and reconnect, the old (default factory setings) settings are back...

Edit: to clarify, talking about WD Passport connected through USB.

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took a look at my friend's USB cable that came with his 500GB FreeAgent Go and compared it to the cable that came with my 500GB Passport Essentials drive. The Seagate supplied cable looks very thin and probably has poor shielding. If anyone is having problems with their FreeAgent drive, please try a different USB cable.

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cocomonk22 said:
Wouldn't rev12 be better to use than rev10?

Yes, since rev 10 doesn't add anything useful compared to rev 9. Rev 12 does. However, rev 9 is still the safest for people who don't need USB device support.

henkie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hdhacker said:

84405600.png

I get this screen with my WD external 1gb. I didnt test if the HD haves any spindown yet, will test it later today. But if it haves the spindown issue, what do i need to change to disable the spindown?

henkie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is already disabled
smile.gif

So this means no spindown with my WD 1TB external and WD Customer Service is wrong?

kkthxbye said:
Don't know if this is the topic to post this in, but i have been in contact with Western Digital, about disabling HD Sleep on their external harddrives.
So i thought i would post the answer here:

Dear X,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

All WD external hard drives will spin down (enter into power saver mode) after 10 minutes of drive inactivity. Once the drive is accessed again, the drive will exit from the power saver mode and spin back up.

Please Note: This is a permanent feature of all our external hard drives and cannot be disabled.

Sincerely,
X X

Western Digital Service and Support

pboga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
jarock said:
Your first port is the top one if you lay the Wii down on it's flat.
In other words the outer one.

I've heard the others revisions like rev12 and 13, you should connect the usb to the usb port nearest to the wii edge. Here we should do the opposite, connect to the far away from the edge, right?

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
henkie said:
It is already disabled
smile.gif

So this means no spindown with my WD 1TB external and WD Customer Service is wrong?

Even if it says it's disabled, it may still spindown. In that program, try to set it again. I had someone with a WD drive like yours say it made a difference.

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added new tip:

If you are using the latest USB Loader GX with a cIOS 249 rev less than 13, the "002 fix" global settings should be "OFF," and the per game settings should be "Anti."

harsh.realm

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Earlier today I upgraded my Wii to 4.0 using the steps on "ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide, Backup Loaders Disc Channel USB".

It was bugging me because I was able to load Ghostbusters before when I was on 3.2U on USB Loader GX, with VidTV Patch on and the Error 002 fix on.

Every time it gets to the loading screen it freezes up.

I downgraded, and then upgraded again to 4.0U with the same problems.

Then I realized I moved the games I had on a 160GB Drive to a 500GB Drive.

I just deleted the Ghostbusters game on the 500GB and reloaded it back on and the game is working once again.

It's usually the simplest fix, thanks for the tips in this forum.

yay.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ