Gaming GTA Chinatown Wars graphics

Lodis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Rockstar have learnt so much about how to work with the limitations of hardware and how to do what most thought were impossible. For example, although the Psp is more powerful than the DS, they still managed to double the size of the free roaming city when they released VCS. This was not possible until after they gained more experience. I think people are underestimating both the DS and Rockstar.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another impressive 3D gba game Asterix and Obelix XXL (released only in Europe):

This one got a PS2 and (I think) Gamecube release in the US. They replaced the XXL with "Kick Buttix" (all the Gaulish characters have names ending in "ix"). The GBA version is totally different from the console games. Anyways, it's an impressive feat for the GBA and seems to use a similar graphical engine to many other full 3D games. It's a fully 3D platform action game. It boasted an impressive amount of characters on-screen at once. I'm not sure if they're sprites or 3D models.

They made a sequel which was released on DS. It's a shame. It had fully 3D graphics (which were nice) but was 2D in gameplay (like Spiderman DS games). It had some mind-blowingly bad/difficult touch screen minigames as well that IMHO completely destroyed the game.
hate2.gif

Overall, the DS hasn't been truly tapped (technically speaking) yet. It takes several years for developers to fully grasp the power of a system. I'll be wanting to see what they can do with GTA DS.

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It will probally be in 3D, hands down. Unfortunatly a 2D game will put people off, maybe not us hardcore gamers but the "major crowd". A 2D game with amazing 2D graphics would be sweet in my opinion, alot of possibilities with the two screens. But many developers doesnt use the screens that well (if at all).

Lets hope for the best.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Why does hardcores ask 2D in the first place?

I've played GTA2, which is in 2D. I find it prettyhard to navigate, there's more cars on the road, but it's not enjoyable, or maye it's just me?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haw he's right GTA1 and 2 sucked in the control department. The controls were this awful mix of stuff similar to old Resident Evil where you pivot to turn and the rest and it was just painful to deal with.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Here is a video of the GTA style demo Pocketeers did for the GBA:

There were better videos but this pretty much proves that full 3D GTA was a possibility on the GBA. On the DS, the major playability-limit would probably be screen resolution, not 3D power or controls as on the GBA.

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine it not being 3d. Cod was pretty good, of course it wasn't free roaming, but I expect the gfx to be on par with it.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dunno, I was not overly impressed with either of the GTA games on the PSP and GTA Advance was fairly annoying from a control perspective cause cars slid all over the place. It would work if implimented properly, but at the same time do not expect that a DS one would be nearly the same size as even the PSP games.

Raichy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see the possibility that the graphics can be in 3D but the game will be played from top-down view, so that would eliminate the "drawing distance" problem, that occurs in in 3rd person. Is the DS really capable of having good graphics(lot of people, cars, buildings, flying newspapers), physics! and drawing distance running at 30 fps?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raichy said:
...Is the DS really capable of having good graphics(lot of people, cars, buildings, flying newspapers), physics! and drawing distance running at 30 fps?

At 30 fps, there would seem to be plenty of room to do a lot of nice stuff on the DS, and I honestly don't see the obsession with a vast draw distance. In the console GTA games of today, sure, it creates a great feeling of being in a real city, but it's not the defining element of the GTA experience, in my opinion. Shooting, running people over, slappin' hoes...that's what GTA's about, and I don't need to see cityscapes way off on the horizon in order to enjoy that experience. Again though, if you look at any of the DS Tony Hawk games, it's obvious that a lot can still be done in that respect.

Vextroid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would love to see it birds eye 2D cause i loved GTA2 ( I wish there was a home brew DS version of GTA 1 and or 2) aswell as for the overall presentation and framerate.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OrR said:
Here is a video of the GTA style demo Pocketeers did for the GBA:

There were better videos but this pretty much proves that full 3D GTA was a possibility on the GBA. On the DS, the major playability-limit would probably be screen resolution, not 3D power or controls as on the GBA.
in the "related vids" on the end of that vid i saw something that proves the GBA was already capable of a full-3D GTA O_O (graphic state, 1st person but GTA-like gameplay it seems)

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure it's possible for a 3D gameplay of the gta on the nintendo ds I mean take a look at this, it's a video of a game called Driv3r for the gba and I'm actually surprised on the gameplay for just a gba. So if they can pull that off in the gba they can difenetly make it 3D for the ds XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raZ8CSoiP3k...feature=related

Sorry I dont know how to post the video

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
With Driv3r 3's graphics posted by Vampire Hunter we know that a 3D GTA is possible. And I have to agree with him, I don't need the feel of being in a real city. GTA is all about action, not about society (although there is some social points in game), thus all we need is just some people to smack, some vehicles to steal, some cops to avoid and kill, and some a city with some building to explore, nothing more.

But, isn't the ideal fps is 60 fps? 30fps is pretty slow....

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raestloz said:
But, isn't the ideal fps is 60 fps? 30fps is pretty slow....

Halo 2 was 30 fps. No one seemed to complain.

Thirty is still faster than most motion pictures, which if memory serves, still flip at 24 fps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la