Hacking Question Got banned by installing trimmed .xci in ReiNX. What i can/can't do?

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Let's hope that never happens. Last thing we need is more fortnite cheaters

Until they notice and put out a game update the prevents you.

Well, let's drop the Fortnite example... what about other online games that don't use Nintendo's servers/paid online service? Like the Jackbox Party Games?

I'm just more interested in whether these games can be played online, if it is possible for a CFW to patch out the part where the Switch "asks for permission" from Nintendo's servers just to use the internet.

As I said earlier, I'm asking this pure for curiousity's sake, "from an academic standpoint".

Last edited by bundat,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just more interested in whether these games can be played online, if it is possible for a CFW to patch out the part where the Switch "asks for permission" from Nintendo's servers just to use the internet.

As I said earlier, I'm asking this pure for curiousity's sake, "from an academic standpoint".

Everything is possible. You could reverse engineer the server & patch your switch so that it connects to your own server instead. This is how you can still play Mario Kart Wii.

It would be a lot of work & you would only be playing against other people using the same hack and server.

I think it's unlikely you can do what you want on the official servers, but my point still stands. If you figure out a way that you can, unless you keep it secret from everyone, then they will find out and all they have to do is put a server side check that you have authenticated. They may not even have to put out a game update to achieve that, if they do then they can change the server to require the latest game update as well.

Games that support local multiplayer are much easier to exploit.

Last edited by smf,

tayshun12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, let's drop the Fortnite example... what about other online games that don't use Nintendo's servers/paid online service? Like the Jackbox Party Games?

The switch console will always 'phone home' when doing anything game/software related online. Think of it like your router at home, all your internet traffic has to travel through it. That is why people use DNS to 'phone elsewhere' so ninty doesnt catch them.

That being said,

There is another post here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-switch-lan-play.520912/

that shows you how to play online with friends, like systemlink on the old xbox. Here's hoping some team creates an Xlink Kai or XBConnect style app so that we can do some serious online play with strangers and not just friends!

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
but my point still stands. If you figure out a way that you can, unless you keep it secret from everyone, then they will find out and all they have to do is put a server side check that you have authenticated.
Which is why I changed the example game to Jackbox party pack.

It's a party game, they have no reason to ban people because it's not something highly competitive tht cheaters will harm the ecosystem of, afaik.

It would be a lot of work
Would it really? I was thinking all that had to be done was to patch the "phone home to Nintendo" function to "return true" or something. Admittedly, I have no technical knowledge how it all works under the hood.

& you would only be playing against other people using the same hack and server.
Um you seem to misunderstand what I am saying.
I am saying if it is possible to patch out the "phoning home to Nintendo", in order to play online games that don't actually use Nintendos servers.

And I'm using Jackbox party pack as an example, a party game that should have no interest in banning people afaik.

Yes I know all about the phoning home thing, as well as 90DNS things, I assumed this was already implied in my earlier posts when I explained about the idea of cutting out the "phone home" process via CFW.

And I have no interest in workarounds such as adhoc LAN networks (ala Hamachi), which i assumed was obvious when I stated it was an "academic interest".

i.e. to be precise, I'm not looking for responses like "it always phones home" or "it can't work because they patch this and that", no offense to you guys.

What I'm EXACTLY looking for is a TECHNICAL response from a scene dev that know how it works, telling me EXACTLY how it can or cannot work in TECHNICAL terms e.g.
  • "it can't work because all non-Nintendo servers use your TLS cert as your account identifier, verified with Nintendo's public signature"
  • or "it can work, the non-Nintendo servers require no signed data, it just connects straight to their servers after a successful phone home, no data is passed over"
  • or "it can be spoofed, the Nintendo phoning home process only needs a 200ok return status from N's server to be successful"
Basically I want to know the TECHNICAL DETAILS why it can or can't work.

tayshun12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is why I changed the example game to Jackbox party pack.

i.e. to be precise, I'm not looking for responses like "it always phones home" or "it can't work because they patch this and that", no offense to you guys.

What I'm EXACTLY looking for is a TECHNICAL response from a scene dev that know how it works, telling me EXACTLY how it can or cannot work in TECHNICAL terms e.g.
  • "it can't work because all non-Nintendo servers use your TLS cert as your account identifier, verified with Nintendo's public signature"
  • or "it can work, the non-Nintendo servers require no signed data, it just connects straight to their servers after a successful phone home, no data is passed over"
  • or "it can be spoofed, the Nintendo phoning home process only needs a 200ok return status from N's server to be successful"
Basically I want to know the TECHNICAL DETAILS why it can or can't work.

you should start a new thread asking this to the scene.

Or bust out wireshark to try and find out whats going on.

Reactions: bundat

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Um you seem to misunderstand what I am saying.
I am saying if it is possible to patch out the "phoning home to Nintendo", in order to play online games that don't actually use Nintendos servers.

I do understand what you're saying.

And I'm using Jackbox party pack as an example, a party game that should have no interest in banning people afaik.

You'll have to do it to figure out. As I said, my guess is if you find it and publish it here then nintendo will also then know about it and will on principal make sure you can't do it by putting out a patch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @HiradeGirl, Hi