Hacking Getting a used Xbox360?

briangriffin1986

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hello there,

I'm a long time PC gamer, and recently I'm just offered a used Xbox360 at like $150, and the manufacture date is like around "Sept 2009".

The only thing which is modified on that console is the "LT 3.0" which, in my limited knowledge, means that I could play backup-ed or downloaded discs.

From your expertise in these Xboxes, is it worth getting? Or I would just go and grab a new, unmodded one at $200 (or the J-Tagged one at $270)? The newer ones in the shopping mall is with the "Slim" version, and I think all of them are with the Corona version.

Thanks for your opinions. :)

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go the extra 50$ for a new unmodded one, that way you 100% guaranteed to not be buying someone else's console that most likely got flagged for ban (it makes a lot of sense considering it has LT 3.0 and they are selling it. either its flagged for ban or has issues (freezing, occasional RROD, etc)

Its really easy to accidentally get a console flagged by burning a disk that fails the AP2.5 challenges and not turning off the console until after the grace period.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sept 2009 makes it a Jasper board which is about as low I will go in second hand 360s at this point in life (though Jasper boards are great little things), possible exception for some JTAG consoles but they will not be getting much from me. Being LT3.0 as well means it has probably got some fair updates at this point which might trouble you a tiny bit if you go to reset glitch hack (RGH) it (read just need to get newer/more fiddly hardware for the most part).
If that JTAG setup is a Jasper and you do not care about live then I would look at that.

LT and other DVD mods -- copied/downloaded discs. You will need dual layer discs of reasonable quality and for many newer games a specially modded burner though they are not so hard to get your hands on.
JTAG, RGH, R-JTAG and more. Games from the hard drive (which can also be made to any size unlike stock and DVD mods), games from USB, XBLA content, DLC content. They do not inherently allow copied discs to run but they can simplify a stage or two when it comes to dumping the keys (almost always the most annoying part). As you have USB and onboard hard drives most do not care about copied optical discs.
Everything (stock, DVD mod, the dash level hacks). You can inject DLC from a few game of the year games and similar things, it is not so small and low quality an amount to turn your nose up at but it is hardly the best. The tiny handful of other mods that once cropped up (profile sharing, modern warfare glitch, shadow complex bypass) have since been patched.

briangriffin1986

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hello,

Thanks for the honest opinions. I checked the used unit again and calculated, wasn't too worth it. Another extra $70 I get more warranty and a peace of mind.

Then I actually ran out and bought myself a JTAG-ed Xbox360, with a spare external HDD. Will be testing the console as soon as possible. :)

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd say upgrade the internal HDD.
Follow me guide on how to install FSD again to set it all up again ;]

External HDD's just look ugly next to it (me honest opinion) and internal SATA is faster.

briangriffin1986

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Luckily I got the FreeStyle Dash inside already, with the latest version. I'll obtain the HDD later as I have some stuff need ironing out in the school.

Meanwhile, I temporarily plugged the Xbox360 into the CRT. The picture looks OK, but on smaller fonts, they look like shit. I may need to play this on a monitor until the CRT is changed or decomissioned. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since