Kinghenry8515

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I am looking for some help with Genesis Plus. It is the only emulator I can not get cover art to load on.

I have cover art (matching title name, sized, and in .png format).

My art is in root/genplus/snaps/md, gg, cd, ect…

Roms are set the same way through root/genplus/roms

I have tried multiple core boot.dol files, even the cover mod boot.idk files I have found through this site.

I have tried multiple versions of Genplus.

Covers are not displaying…any help would be appreciated bc it is driving me bananas, and I have tried…a lot. This is kind of a last ditch effort, maybe someone has a working file?

Also, any if anyone has a good wad/channel fowader for vbagx I would appreciate that as well, hahaha, I have scoured the internet and none seem to work….it’s the last one I need.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hi,

I am looking for some help with Genesis Plus. It is the only emulator I can not get cover art to load on.

I have cover art (matching title name, sized, and in .png format).

My art is in root/genplus/snaps/md, gg, cd, ect…

Roms are set the same way through root/genplus/roms

I have tried multiple core boot.dol files, even the cover mod boot.idk files I have found through this site.

I have tried multiple versions of Genplus.

Covers are not displaying…any help would be appreciated bc it is driving me bananas, and I have tried…a lot. This is kind of a last ditch effort, maybe someone has a working file?
@Kinghenry8515

Did you read this entire thread?: https://gbatemp.net/threads/genplusgx-2d-box-art-mod.479740/

Have you read these guidelines in this post?: https://gbatemp.net/threads/genplusgx-2d-box-art-mod.479740/#post-7503882

Also, have you tried this latest GPGX Cover Mod boot.dol compiled by me, published in this thread?: https://gbatemp.net/threads/genplusgx-2d-box-art-mod.479740/post-9766226

Hope this help ;)

Reactions: jeannotte

Kinghenry8515

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SaulFaber:

I honestly can not say I read it ALL. I believe I read the pertinent parts, and I have scrolled through all the text.

However, it is possible, through the mess of downloading different versions, swapping boot files back and forth between my PC and SD, that:

Possibly, after I switched the artwork size to the size listed in the guide, I tried to use the incorrect boot file (the modified 2D cover mod).

I'm going to give it all a fresh install Monday or Tuesday and will let you know how it goes. I appreciate the links and the reply. Sometimes I just am not sure if I am using the most updated software or version, I had found this exact page, but being pointed there validates it for me.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jeannotte:

Thank you. I will check it out. Probably not till the weekend, overwhelmed with homework at the moment! Who goes to school at 37?! Bad idea!! Lol

Really, thank you both for the insight, again, I’ll let y’all know how it goes when I get time to dig into it again….so close to completing this Wii Project.

I abandoned my Wii few years ago and started from scratch (left the mod, updated everything), and now I’m really trying to get everything right, clean, and tidy.

Kinghenry8515

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question for ya'll.

I'm doing a fresh install. Just resized all my box-art and downloaded these two items:

1). 16x9 Cover Mod .boot file

2.) genplus-gx-1.7.5-RC1

When I extract the 'genplus-gx 1.7.5-RC1' zip file into a folder and open it there are a few files in the extracted folder.

-apps folder (easy)
-genplus_cube.dol
-genplus_wii.dol
HISTORY.txt
LICENSE.txt
README.pdf

MY QUESTION is this, what do I do with the genplus_wii.dol file in the root. Is this something for wii-u? Because if not I may have been setting it up wrong, but I can not imagine it goes in the root of the SD card I use in my Wii (with apps, roms, wads, ect).

Figured I would ask before I proceed to try and do it as correct as possible.

I did read the 'readme', it mentions these files, but I do not understand what do do with them--specifically the genplus_wii.dol file.

Thank you.

Kinghenry8515

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also (I am not sure if this is frowned upon?) On a side note while messing with all this, I noticed these two folders:

SD:/apps/wad/Channel DOL/249c.dol
SD:/apps/wad/FowaderDOL/fowaderV5.1.dol

Anyone know why they are there? They are left over from years ago when I originally modded this Wii. I am not sure if they're needed.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by Kinghenry8515,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Quick question for ya'll.

I'm doing a fresh install. Just resized all my box-art and downloaded these two items:

1). 16x9 Cover Mod .boot file

2.) genplus-gx-1.7.5-RC1

When I extract the 'genplus-gx 1.7.5-RC1' zip file into a folder and open it there are a few files in the extracted folder.

-apps folder (easy)
-genplus_cube.dol
-genplus_wii.dol
HISTORY.txt
LICENSE.txt
README.pdf

MY QUESTION is this, what do I do with the genplus_wii.dol file in the root. Is this something for wii-u? Because if not I may have been setting it up wrong, but I can not imagine it goes in the root of the SD card I use in my Wii (with apps, roms, wads, ect).

Figured I would ask before I proceed to try and do it as correct as possible.

I did read the 'readme', it mentions these files, but I do not understand what do do with them--specifically the genplus_wii.dol file.

Thank you.
Meanings of the core dol files:

- genplus_cube.dol is intended for be used only on the Nintendo GameCube
- genplus_wii.dol is intended for be used only on the original Wii and the virtual Wii (vWii) mode of Wii U

But since the apps folder has also the Wii dol file of GPGX (having renamed to boot.dol), just copy the apps folder of your GPGX zip to the root of your SD card.

When you use the GPGX Cover Mod, rename the dol file of the mod you downloaded to boot.dol and replace the old boot.dol file of GPGX (inside apps/genplus-gx) with the new one.

Kinghenry8515

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meanings of the core dol files:

- genplus_cube.dol is intended for be used only on the Nintendo GameCube
- genplus_wii.dol is intended for be used only on the original Wii and the virtual Wii (vWii) mode of Wii U

But since the apps folder has also the Wii dol file of GPGX (having renamed to boot.dol), just copy the apps folder of your GPGX zip to the root of your SD card.

When you use the GPGX Cover Mod, rename the dol file of the mod you downloaded to boot.dol and replace the old boot.dol file of GPGX (inside apps/genplus-gx) with the new one.

Thank you for the clarification.

Kinghenry8515

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay,

So, full update (it is not working, and I am okay with that)

I believe it has to do with junk files somewhere on my Wii/memory card. I did a fresh install from the ground up SD:/apps/genplus

I tried your boot file (genplus-gx_wii_covermod_16x9.dol) SaulFabre

as well as the

16x9 and 4x3 dol files

I even deleted the SD:/genplus folder, and let the genplus-gx reset the folder destination and then re-added roms and boxart to correct folders ie

BOXART-SD:/genplus/snaps/cd,md,ms,gg,sg.
ROMS-SD:/genplus/roms/cd,md,md,gg,sg

Images are sized 32bit 140x248, png format, and named appropriately.

At the core of all this testing I used genplus-gx-1.7.5-RC1

At this point I believe something on my Wii/SD card is preventing something from working correctly.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I noticed ONE change, the guide mentions that when there is no boxart a 16x9 generic sega placeholder will show. This shows on ONE of my MegaDrive games. Not on every file, just one game. This is the only change I have noticed.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    162.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    26.1 KB · Views: 59

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeZ7JYwZs&pp=ygUJVnIgaXMgZ2F5 +1