Geek Squad Disc

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I took my laptop to Best Buy because the HDD failed. They fixed it, no problems there. But they DID leave one of their disks, 'confidential' software and all. The agreement on the disk says that I have to return it if I'm not one of their employees, but I have a feeling that some poor schmuck is going to be fired if I do that. So, GBATemp, what should I do?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt he will get fired, if you want to return the mri make a copy of it as there are some pretty good tools on it but the cd has an expiration date (there are dumps online that are re-skinned and have the expiration date cracked if you want that instead) or just keep it
its really no big deal

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would make a copy of it and give the Best Buy store the original. This will allow you to do everything yourself, instead of being at the mercy of Geek Squad. Also, test and see if you can use the tools as-is. If there are restrictions such as password windows, or expiration dates like Joe88 mentioned, download a crack to remove it. I doubt there are password windows (come on, we are talking Best Buy here!!!), but its possible, and the crack would likely cover that as well.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry too much about the disk they forgot. They probably have 20 of them laying around.

What I would be worried about is what sort of spyware they might have installed. Best Buy has had a few incidents where employee's where caught installing camera monitoring software, copying private (nude) photo's and in general just doing things that are pretty big privacy no no's.

That being said those are probably isolated incidents but I would run a scan for spyware and also just poke around in the start up processes to see what could have been added.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    yes
  • light27 @ light27:
    also another thing, why do i always open gbatemp chat at the most unfortunate times
  • light27 @ light27:
    you guys need to stay away from @AncientBoi o.o
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, why is talking about my birthday something bad?
  • light27 @ light27:
    wait what? oh
  • light27 @ light27:
    my bad
  • light27 @ light27:
    happy birthday
  • light27 @ light27:
    OIP.19q3E5NK_Mdn0K35CZWrWQHaJ4
    for you bro
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, it's actually tommorrow but thx
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +1
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol