Hacking GC mode enhanced... Crediar

Apekop

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TheBlackLink said:
Hmm, so if this could theoretically allow GC mode to access a Wii functionality like, oh say the Wii's wireless networking, and online capabilities, then perhaps it could allow online play in games like PSO, Mario Kart, or even Melee.

I would KILL to play a good online Melee match.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apekop said:
TheBlackLink said:
Hmm, so if this could theoretically allow GC mode to access a Wii functionality like, oh say the Wii's wireless networking, and online capabilities, then perhaps it could allow online play in games like PSO, Mario Kart, or even Melee.

I would KILL to play a good online Melee match.

Same here.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know, Freedom seems to be a system menu replacement. I doubt it's function is to allow access to Wii mode for GC games.

And while on that subject, how did this thread jump from "running a GC game at Wii clock speeds" to "OMG HE UNLOKED WII MODE FOR GC GAEMZZZ!!1!!eleventy!!one11!" Changing clock speeds doesn't necessarily mean that he had to run the game in Wii mode, and I highly doubt that's what was done.

Nintendo designed the GameCube on Wii system not to frustrate Wii hackers, but to allow GameCube games to even launch. GameCube games are not aware of the Wii environment or any of its functions. GC games won't know how to run under an IOS (remember all Wii code must run under and interface with an IOS). So the Wii has to pretty much act just like a GameCube to allow them to run (without IOS's, Bluetooth, etc), because all they are programmed to use is GameCube hardware; there's no code for nothing else. To make it easier to understand, I guess you can think of GC mode as a GameCube emulator in function (but that's a stretch when you get down to how it works technically).

Wanting to run a GC game in Wii mode is like wanting to run a GC game on your PC without using an emulator, just like it was a PC program. And expecting it to be able to connect to the Internet, use your mouse and keyboard, and access your webcam. Those features would have to be programmed into the game to be used natively. Since they aren't programmed in, to even theoretically add them you would have to use.... an emulator! (which would have to emulate a GameCube controller using your mouse and keyboard input, a GameCube network adapter using your PC's Internet connection, and I have no clue how one would want to use the webcam).

Now, if one wanted to theoretically add support to use SD cards for GameCube games on the Wii, they would probably have to program a whole GameCube emulator that ran in Wii mode and, on top of emulating the GameCube hardware, emulated a GameCube memory card slot to translate memory accesses to the memory card to somehow using the SD card instead. Quite a feat to program if you ask me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning