Country
United Kingdom
review.gif
GBAtemp Recommends! Homebrew #3
Three older (but great) DS homebrew
gbatrec.png

GBAtemp Recommends!

Everlasting Love, Arcomage and PuzzleManiak

Once again it is time for the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
Much like the previous posts we will be listing three homebrew titles ranging from well known games to games few have heard of and games with a massive story taking days to complete to minigames (that are no less damaging to your free time spent doing "useful things" intentions).
All the systems GBAtemp covers have a large selection of homebrew and these posts are to help highlight some of the best examples.
With that over onto the main event, this week three more DS titles but ones from earlier in the homebrew timescale.

icon11.gif
Click here to read the full post
discuss.png
Discuss

click for other gbatemp recommends homebrew

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbatrec.png

GBAtemp Recommends!

Everlasting Love, Arcomage and PuzzleManiak

Once again it is time for the GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series.
Much like the previous posts we will be listing three homebrew titles ranging from well known games to games few have heard of and games with a massive story taking days to complete to minigames (that are no less damaging to your free time spent doing "useful things" intentions).
All the systems GBAtemp covers have a large selection of homebrew and these posts are to help highlight some of the best examples.
With that over onto the main event, this week three more DS titles but ones from earlier in the homebrew timescale.

1)Everlasting love from Mia
icon11.gif
Author Homepage
download.gif
GBAtemp download
[6256]elcom.jpg

A slightly older release first and one that garnered a great deal of attention when it was first released. At first glance you could be forgiven for thinking this is just another platforming game, if you looked more carefully you would see it is a hybrid of platform and music game. You control a monkey who jumps (only then allowing you to control movement) at various heights depending on the notes played at the time.
There are two versions of the game (both are available in the GBAtemp download)
The first version (everlasting in the download) has one level and the song in the background is where the game receives the title from. The song in question is Everlasting Love which you would likely have heard in the We ? Katamari game.
The second version "Tomorrow Hill" (EverlastingTH) uses a song from Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

2)Arcomage from Bodom-Child
icon11.gif
Playeradvance project overview (French language)
download.gif
GBAtemp download
[756]Arcomage.png

Arcomage was a minigame first seen in fantasy role playing games Might and Magic VII on the PC along with the sequel and later as a standalone game. Play is a arguably a simplified version of games like Magic the gathering. You take turns in playing "cards" which do things like increase your wall size, tower size, gain resources or attack your opponent.

3)PuzzleManiak from Alx06
icon11.gif
Homepage of DS version
download.gif
GBAtemp download
[1278]cover2.jpg

PuzzleManiak is a collection of 27 small puzzle games ranging from known games to obscure titles that rivals, if not exceeds, anything commercial developers have yet offered in terms of puzzle games for the DS and a game we suggest all homebrew users at least try. While the author has now moved on to porting it to other systems the final DS version is exceptionally polished.

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
Everlasting love is like one of the classic, its a sweet game with major class, if you could make 10 more level and fuse it together + a menu and a few add ons, you would see Nintendo selling it at 30-40 euro.

the 2 levels that have been made are perfect and a must for anyone, its a top call homebrew, in my opinion.

GenesisX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Islay said:
Everlasting love is like one of the classic, its a sweet game with major class, if you could make 10 more level and fuse it together + a menu and a few add ons, you would see Nintendo selling it at 30-40 euro.

the 2 levels that have been made are perfect and a must for anyone, its a top call homebrew, in my opinion.
Agreed =)

Played all 3 of these homebrew games enjoyed it all
yaynds.gif

-=SkReeK=-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Everlasting Love is really awesome, such a cute and addictive concept, it's a shame it didn't get to the point of a complete game.
Nevertheless, i played this a lot when it first came out, thanks for the reminder!
smile.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
just wanted to say thanks for posting this, puzzle maiak is an awesdome game.
i feel ashamed for never getting it before...

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone.

@ZER? I do plan to move onto other consoles (indeed I thought about some GBA this time around).
As a start though powder is on the GBA although I rate the DS version over it purely for the touchscreen, http://www.pqrs.org/tekezo/gba/index.html.en if you like shmups, http://www.geocities.com/quirky_2k1/games/index.html (elite) and http://www.pdroms.de/files/1317/ (Herg's solitaire- one of the best card games collections anywhere let alone on the GBA) make for a good start.
The GBA is extremely well emulated too so testing should not be too cumbersome either.

rafcor

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Just FYI, the portuguese (brazilian) translation of the DS version (there's for the iPhone too) was made by me!
It's a great game and I had to translate it, but still play it in English, much better!

bnwchbammer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everlasting love was extremely creative. Wish there were more levels though, but insanely fun concept, as short as it is. Only problem I've found is it gets a little irritating at one point in each level, but I beat both of them. Puzzle maniak is absolutely awesome. So many incredibly hard puzzles that are fun. Some are a little, meh, but with the large selection of puzzles, it's forgiving.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill