GBAtemp Game of Year 2015 - Round 2

gbatemp_goty_2015.png

GBAtemp GotY 2015 - Round 2

Welcome to round 2 of the first GBAtemp game of the year vote!
Originally 50 titles were added to the poll, now 24 have been cut. It would have been 25 but we had a tie for last place between Star Wars Battlefront and Until Dawn.
Please cast your vote for round 2! Multiple votes are not allowed.

:arrow:Round 1 Results

Reactions: Prans

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't believe people like Undertale, its such a POS. I finished a neutral run and I am at the end of a pacifist where its telling me I need to backtrack through the whole game to get the message at the beginning from a certain character that was transformed from the flower guy, then I still got to do Genocide, I hate the game so much that I am not even sure I am going to finish it. Hopefully Genocide will add something that will blow my mind because from reviews this is supposed to be the best game ever made? Meh, Adventure on Atari 2600 was better then this.

Reactions: mightymuffy

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I was expecting less people to be voting for Undertale when they were only able to pick one game. Guess I was wrong. Oh well. Maybe next year there won't be a game that wins because it has a particular art style. I picked Steins;Gate because of the several games up there that I played, it's the only one that I was never bored with at all. I know it won't win, but I'm voting for it anyway, kinda like voting for Bernie Sanders. He's clearly the best choice, but he's so unconventional that he won't be understood by the masses that instead vote for a familiar face.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... I was expecting less people to be voting for Undertale when they were only able to pick one game. Guess I was wrong. Oh well. Maybe next year there won't be a game that wins because it has a particular art style. I picked Steins;Gate because of the several games up there that I played, it's the only one that I was never bored with at all. I know it won't win, but I'm voting for it anyway, kinda like voting for Bernie Sanders. He's clearly the best choice, but he's so unconventional that he won't be understood by the masses that instead vote for a familiar face.
I haven't played Stiens;Gate, so I can't comment on it lol

Mr. Prince

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I voted for Undertale last time (With Bloodborne and Splatoon), but I can't pick it this time. It was phenomenal, but not GOTY material imo. You play through it once, twice, thrice, and then you get tired of it. Short and sweet. Then there are games like Bloodborne that start to reach out to you AFTER multiple playthroughs. Yeah, I'm going with Bloodborne.

bod-ceranimo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Deffinitely Triforce Heroes.Because It's so original ,fun and extreme! ;) Don't tell anyone but jerking is fun as well!

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Undertale winning would be like FNAF winning -.-

And how? Because they were both popular games on the internet at some point? lol

I appreciate that Splatoon was an honest attempt at Nintendo making a kid-friendly shooter, and it certainly did so well. But frankly, out of every awesome game on that list, does Splatoon really bring enough to the table to stand its ground? I certainly don't think so. It's a good game, but GOTY I really don't think so. Maybe it was Nintendo's GOTY but certainly it isn't objectively better than some of the amazing stuff on that list.

Undertale affected me and got me hooked in a way that I haven't been hooked in a really long time, whereas I had trouble getting into some of these other games. So for me, it's GOTY. I don't see how Splatoon really did anything revolutionary or emotionally affected people at all. In fact, it's hard to play for more than 30 minutes at a time given there are only 2 maps to play online at any particular time.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And how? Because they were both popular games on the internet at some point? lol

I appreciate that Splatoon was an honest attempt at Nintendo making a kid-friendly shooter, and it certainly did so well. But frankly, out of every awesome game on that list, does Splatoon really bring enough to the table to stand its ground? I certainly don't think so. It's a good game, but GOTY I really don't think so. Maybe it was Nintendo's GOTY but certainly it isn't objectively better than some of the amazing stuff on that list.

Undertale affected me and got me hooked in a way that I haven't been hooked in a really long time, whereas I had trouble getting into some of these other games. So for me, it's GOTY. I don't see how Splatoon really did anything revolutionary or emotionally affected people at all. In fact, it's hard to play for more than 30 minutes at a time given there are only 2 maps to play online at any particular time.
Can't really argue what you just said since I've never played Undertale. However, I do deem Splatoon to be revolutionary in terms of injecting something fresh into the shooter genre. It is inventive and fulfilled with creative ideas that changed the way people think of the term "shooter". No, it doesn't emotionally affect people on a deeper level (it is a core online multiplayer game after all), but I think the reason why it has garnered much praise is by its sheer originality. Nintendo took a huge risk, and it ultimately paid off for them as Splatoon grew to include more robust weapons and modes as time went on.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Can't really argue what you just said since I've never played Undertale. However, I do deem Splatoon to be revolutionary in terms of injecting something fresh into the shooter genre. It is inventive and fulfilled with creative ideas that changed the way people think of the term "shooter". No, it doesn't emotionally affect people on a deeper level (it is a core online multiplayer game after all), but I think the reason why it has garnered much praise is by its sheer originality. Nintendo took a huge risk, and it ultimately paid off for them as Splatoon grew to include more robust weapons and modes as time went on.
Don't get me wrong, like I said earlier, I appreciate Splatoon's originality and I understand that it was a successful risk in the vein of classic Nintendo! But for me, having played both games, I find myself bored easily of Splatoon. I don't see how there is enough content to keep me coming back. Most of the games on this list are fairly huge (excepting Battlefront among others). Witcher 3, MGS V, and Fallout 4 are all ridiculously huge games with huge amounts of content for the same price as Splatoon. Even Undertale has 3 separate and fresh endings which take at least 7-8 hours to complete. So the fact that Splatoon lacks in this category makes it hard to place it at the top of the list.

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't get me wrong, like I said earlier, I appreciate Splatoon's originality and I understand that it was a successful risk in the vein of classic Nintendo! But for me, having played both games, I find myself bored easily of Splatoon. I don't see how there is enough content to keep me coming back. Most of the games on this list are fairly huge (excepting Battlefront among others). Witcher 3, MGS V, and Fallout 4 are all ridiculously huge games with huge amounts of content for the same price as Splatoon. Even Undertale has 3 separate and fresh endings which take at least 7-8 hours to complete. So the fact that Splatoon lacks in this category makes it hard to place it at the top of the list.

Ok, there isn't anything special that I have seen about Undertale either. It is basically an amateur game with RPG elements in it, the story is weak, the characters generic (actually, I am having a little fun killing them all now because I don't want to see them again), the gameplay is linear as can be with a long boring section of backtracking at the end of the pacifist run. Compared to even some free RPG Maker made games it doesn't stand a chance. You may say I am emotionless but I had emotion at the end of "To The Moon" which hit me hard emotionally and was a much better game in my opinion for story telling. I am wondering if part of the marketing campaign for Undertale was hiring and paying people to post good reviews around the internet because even reviews by some big youtubers seem to be paid endorsements.

Last edited by gbadl,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: yeehaw