GBAtemp Exclusive GBAtemp Game of the Year 2016 - Final Round

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 28, 2016.

?

GOTY 2016

Poll closed Jan 1, 2017.
  1. Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Battlefield 1

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Bravely Second

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Civilization VI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dark Souls 3

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. DOOM

10 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Final Fantasy XV

14 vote(s)
    7.6%
  8. Fire Emblem Fates

12 vote(s)
    6.5%
  9. The Last Guardian

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Monster Hunter Generations

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  12. No Man's Sky

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  13. Overwatch

27 vote(s)
    14.6%
  14. Paper Mario: Color Splash

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  15. Pokemon Sun and Moon

47 vote(s)
    25.4%
  16. Pokken Tournament

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  17. Ratchet and Clank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  19. Stardew Valley

8 vote(s)
    4.3%
  20. Steins;Gate Zero

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  21. Superhot

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  22. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  23. Uncharted 4

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  24. Watch_Dogs 2

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  25. Zero Time Dilemma

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Really?
    I was 10+ hours into the game before putting it on hold many months ago, but I still found it kind of boring. Not because of the battle system, that was ok, but the story was meh. Sure I might be missing something. I suppose I will put a couple more hours into it after I dust my Wii U.

2. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    Bullet Hell
    Maybe I'll get bored of it too after a few more hours, but I like the story - I know the 'idol performers' central theme isn't totally unique, but the way TMS tackles it is definitely interesting.
    The thing that put me off picking up the game sooner was the censorship it received outside of Japan - but now I'm aware of what elements have been changed I'll be able to play those 'gravure' missions while mentally rewriting the plot line to how it was originally intended.

3. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    Saw Hyper Light Drifter didn't make it; I blame the 12yo Pokemon fans on the forum xD
    Anywho, I voted Overwatch. Haven't played most of these other games yet. FF15 looks cool, but it's not on PC yet.
    So, Overwatch. Well, I have found it to be very worth the cost! I have played many hours with my friends since day one, not expecting it to be as good as it is. McCree is still my favorite character, no matter how many times they re-balance him! Really all of them are fun to play, each for different reasons, as they are all unique. Wanna soak up some damage? Play Reinhardt. Want to play QuickMan? Pick Tracer. Good ol modern FPS more your style, with a side of American patriotism? They have Soldier 76 for that. Like sitting back and enjoying the show? Pick Torbjorn. Ride a mech? D.Va. Samus meets Gundam with a jetpack? Pharah. Just want to shoot everyone? Ana. Feeling as though you -really- want to shoot everyone, and make them pay? Get good as Reaper. Want to be the darn-tooting-est high-noon'n outlaw dueler this side of the Rockies? Pick yourself up Jesse McCree.
    ...Wow that was longer than expected, er-
    My point is, Overwatch is great. Great characters (better be an action figure line at some point), great use of forcing teamwork, great gameplay, pretty to look at graphics, and great sound design is why Overwatch is my GOTY choice.
    Good luck and happy voting, folks!
    And a Merry Tempmas to ya'll too!

Last edited by BLsquared, Dec 30, 2016
  4. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    I'll share this little tidbit with you.

5. darklordrs

darklordrs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    I don't know why, but there's this awesome comedic irony to how this is playing out. Mostly the hypocrites who are basically saying 'Pokemon is the same thing over and over, children are the only reason it won. doom best thing ever reeeeeeeee' and don't seem to see any correlation between the two.

it gets even funnier when you see how many of those people didn't even bother to play sun/moon or talk to people who have because they're dead set on it being irrelevant trash. confirmation bias getting in the way of everything.

osaka35 likes this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, it's hard to think of 5 good Wii U titles, period, so it's not that big of a challenge. ;O;

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it's hard to choose correctly when you didn't play and tested all of them. how can you not pick a game as being good, just because you don't know it is? (not sure it make sense)
    I played only 1 game from the list (FF15) and voted for it, but that doesn't mean the other games are trash. I can't properly compare each game and provide the good answer.

Though, I really enjoy FF15, despite people criticizing it.
    I don't really understand what's wrong with people. putting down the game because "textures are bad" but not having any problem playing bad looking 8bit remastered random indie games.
    I find FF15 really nice, if not beautiful. I like doing missions and exploration. The game is great for me. (I don't know about the story, I haven't completed it yet, but I played more than 40H on chapter 3 haha, I'm now 60h chapter 5, doing side missions).
    I play the game for the game mechanics and features, not the for story, that's maybe why I like it?

People liked No Man sky where you have no story or side mission, at least FF15 has some.

we should have split pokemon in 2 (sun and moon) they would get less votes :lol:

8. eechigoo

eechigoo GBATemp Rabbit

Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    Hell
    i havent played all of them but honestly bravely second is just fucking awesome.I dont ever care if it wins or not.

Just getting here means its good,and its the same for all of the games here!

Good luck games!

May the odds be ever in your favor.

osaka35 and Chary like this.
  9. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    i was also disappointed, but a game like that is just too artsy for a forum like this. i would've picked it as goty for the soundtrack alone lol

frankly, i'm amazed that no man's sky has more votes than the combined total of civ 6 and uncharted 4

10. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    edit: by "forum like this" i mean 3ds/nintendo-centric

EDIT2: my bad, hit reply instead of edit. incredible feat, considering the buttons are on opposite sides of the post

Last edited by frogboy, Dec 31, 2016
  11. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    Guess your profile's title rings true! (jk)

frogboy likes this.
  12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Naaah. I mean, c'mon...it's not like we're retards who can't compare pictures, right?

Right?

*makes comparison*
    comparison.jpg

Yup...sounds about right. :tpi:

Cyan likes this.
  13. arq

arq Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2015
    Finland
    I'm a bit surprised there is no mention of AM2R: Return of Samus, even though it's a fanmade game. It's probably my game of the year.

Other than that, I'm steering of the mainstream path here. For me the highlights of the year have been AM2R, Planet Coaster, Overcooked and Red Rope: Don't Fall Behind. Judging from a few hours of gameplay of Hyper Light Drifter, it's also great. Ultimate Chicken Horse was quite fun. Just like in year 2014 and 2015, I'm probably going to find some excellent games released in 2016 later on. That's why these polls should actually be held after 5 or so years, since I highly doubt most people have played only 2-3 great games that have been released this year. Thus, the poll is mostly just "this is the only game I bought this year, so I'm going to vote it" -popularity contest, and has zero significance.

...also voting updated HD versions is cheap. Twilight princess came out in 2006, and it should not be voted again. Same goes for nominating early access games for year it launched on beta (early access) and year it actually launched.

Last edited by arq, Jan 1, 2017
  14. Lotoonlink

Lotoonlink Probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Aug 15, 2016
    United States
    Imo, pokemon sun and moon really changed things up, a person who's played every other game in the seires will feel like they're playing an entire new series!

Seriel likes this.
  15. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    They added a lot of new features, but I don't think they were better. The island challenges were all almost exactly the same - and they weren't interesting or challenging :\

Also you didn't get to help form the elite four in any way. It kind of just shows up at the end of the game.

Seriel likes this.