Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp game of the week- week #12

The 12th week of the GBAtemp book game club is upon us and this week we find ourselves looking at an odd DS title. The idea behind these is each week we pick a game from the large library of hacks, commercial titles, homebrew titles or otherwise from one of the systems we cover around here and get together to discuss it. We enjoy top games lists and fun games are always desirable/aimed for but if a game showcases a nice mechanic, an attempt at one or something else that makes it worth your while to say "yeah I played that once" it could find itself among these titles just as easily. Indeed some might argue this week is a good example of such a thing.[/p]

Away: Shuffle Dungeon on the DS

Along with review scores attempting to classify games into genres has come under fire in recent years with the genre "action adventure" becoming something of a byword for "everything else" and this game almost certainly fits into the "everything else" category. On the face of it the game is your fairly standard handheld/16 bit era action RPG that developers Mistwalker and Artoon who have a fair amount of experience in more standard RPGs (between them the are responsible for Archaic Sealed Heat and various Blue Dragon games although they have done a fair bit in other genres too) but underneath it brings a fairly warped story and several gameplay elements usually found in puzzle games, some of the more quirky platformers of yesteryear (at various points we could not help but think of Crusader of the Centy/Soleil) and a healthy dose of roguelikes. The main gimmick so to speak is that each side of the screen gets shuffled when the (normally 10 second) time limit runs out with nasty effects meaning you need to be on the other side. It got fairly mixed reviews when it appeared with the main criticism being it could be too easy at points.[/p]

gt3863.png

Fans of box art the EU and Japanese boxart was quite different​
GBAtemp release thread

A trailer with a fair bit of gameplay​
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YBY30Wayg[/youtube]​

Has our RPG fatigue caused us to mistake novelty for fun or have we pointed you at a quirky game you missed at the time? Share your thoughts int he discussion below[/p]

discuss.png
Discuss

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=gbagotw&search_app= should get you other links in this series

Reactions: elenarguez

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting selection. I definitely enjoyed what I played of the game, but if memory serves, it was a case of coming out during a time when other, more compelling games were released. I liked it, though. It had a nice mix of things going on: a bit of Animal Crossing, some arcade-style action, and of course, the RPG elements. Very cute, nice to look at, decent controls. It's one of those you have to be patient with. It's slow to get going, and the story is very Japanese.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of it, looks interesting. Maybe I will give a try later, when I finish Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Hyde xD

Arschkrampi

The Purple Avenger
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm sorry, but I seem too dumb for this game.
I started it. Watched the intro.
Then I'm supposed to talk to Anella.
Who the &%$§ is Anella? And where is she, for that matter?
Her house is empty. The other people have nothing to say about her.
Three screens later I still havn't found her.

Please somebody tell me what to do.

Never mind I found her.
wink.gif
Why cant they tell you where to go?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh